Panther-Fibel

Please post useful reference books that you may have here. Please give a short description with each link.
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Panther-Fibel

Post by Dr Phibes »

Today I received a couple of new books from the Bovington Tank Museum in Dorset, including the Panther-Fibel. This is a faithful reproduction, translated into English, of the original Panther information and operating manual given to new tank crew as part of their training. Apart from the translation into English it is otherwise an accurate reproduction of the original and is intentionally quite humorous and jovial throughout. It was thought at the time that this would better maintain the attention of prospective Panther tankers, though I'm not so sure. It is apparently, though, both a funny and yet very insightful and informative publication (though I have not yet read it through myself :shh: ).
In any case the Tank Museum seem to have done an marvellous job with a novel project. Incidentally, they have also produced a 'Tiger-fibel' but I don't yet have that one.
Anyway, here are a few pages (click on to images enlarge);
Panther Fibel-1.jpg
The inside of the front cover holds a couple extras, a small art poster of the Panther, and a Panther board game!
The inside of the front cover holds a couple extras, a small art poster of the Panther, and a Panther board game!
Panther Fibel-3.jpg
Panther Fibel-4.jpg
Panther Fibel-5.jpg
Panther Fibel-6.jpg
Panther Fibel-7.jpg
Panther Fibel-8.jpg
Panther Fibel-9.jpg
At the back of the manual there are fold-outs with assessments of allied and Soviet tanks the Panther might come up against, and how to deal with them.
At the back of the manual there are fold-outs with assessments of allied and Soviet tanks the Panther might come up against, and how to deal with them.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Panther-Fibel

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Thanks, Doc! :D
By a happy coincidence, this is the tome I linked Eric 'EAO' to, in my recent thread on the fate of Brit-built Panthers. Now he, indeed we all, can see what a great coffee table piece it will be. Certainly an excusable must-have example of Christmas self-indulgence. :D :thumbup:

edit: The cheery-looking illustrations stand in stark contrast to the actual purpose of the tank, and its formidable weaponry. ;)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Thanks, Doc! :D
By a happy coincidence, this is the tome I linked Eric 'EAO' to, in my recent thread on the fate of Brit-built Panthers. Now he, indeed we all, can see what a great coffee table piece it will be. Certainly an excusable must-have example of Christmas self-indulgence. :D :thumbup:

edit: The cheery-looking illustrations stand in stark contrast to the actual purpose of the tank, and its formidable weaponry. ;)

I agree 43rd, the tone is jovial yet as you suggest the contrast with the intended function of these machines is evident. I'm not sure, given what we know was to follow at that time, whether it is comic or rather tragic! 8O That said it is, as you say, certainly a candidate for Christmas self-indulgence. A Panther enthusiast might even want to slip it into a Christmas list or two :D :shh: It isn't cheap at £35 however, although in my opinion well worth the investment for it's place in history and as an unusual discussion piece :thumbup: .
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I wish that was on the option list for the routine "secret Santa" this year :/
I was familiar with the Tiger Fibel, but was unaware of the Panther equivalent.
great post of overlooked Tank essentials :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Ooooh! "Friction!" Does she come with the book (which book I will order as soon as the money tree drops a few leaves)? Thanks for the tip on the Pantherfibel. I have two versions of the Tigerfibel, but wasn't even aware of the Pantherfibel.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Thanks, Doc! :D
By a happy coincidence, this is the tome I linked Eric 'EAO' to, in my recent thread on the fate of Brit-built Panthers. Now he, indeed we all, can see what a great coffee table piece it will be. Certainly, an excusable must-have example of Christmas self-indulgence. :D :thumbup:
Well smack my a## and call me Judy! That's what I forgot for Christmas...a gift to myself! :D 43rdRR, thanks for the timely reminder! I've now ordered it and a few other goodies too! The January New Year's sale made the price not too bad. Plus it's nice to support one of the greatest armor museums in existence. I may never get to visit but at least I'll have something from there!

I believe I knew about the existence of the Panther Fibel.:think: It has been a long time, but about 15 years ago I was offered an original Tiger Fibel. Both that I had seen were heavily worn and had loose pages or missing pages. At the time they were pushing $650 to $950 U.S. dollars. I passed on both, saving my money expecting to eventually pick up an original Panzer relic. But alas, that has not yet happened. :( In hindsight I really should have taken the deal, think how much I'd save on shipping! :lolno: At any rate, thanks for the reminder! :thumbup: :wave:

Cheers,
Eric.
Last edited by EAO on Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I do hope you noticed the "shot glass" pictured in Bovington's online store. Alas, it's sold out. I hope they get more. Then I can order books and shot glasses for gifts and make the postage worthwhile. Cute story: three or four years ago, a primary-school aged youngster from the UK visited his grandmother, a neighbor here in rural southern Wisconsin. He brought one of the Bovington encyclopedias to my house because he wanted to trade for a U.S. book.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Yipee,

11 days from placing the order to receiving it from The Tank Museum! All in perfect shape! The Haynes manual looks like a good read too! Perhaps things in this messed up world are improving?! Or maybe it's just my new medication?!? :wtf:

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Did someone mention shot glasses! 8)
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

Glad it arrived EAO, and reasonably quite too it seems. The Haynes manual is good with some excellent images as well.
I'm thinking I must now add the 'Tiger Fibel' but I will hopefully be able to pick it up at the next Bovington 'Tiger day' (this April). I'm very lucky to live relatively near to the Tank Museum (about 60 miles) but never got to this event before so really looking forward to it. No doubt I will waste (so my wife calls it anyway) too much on 'stuff' :clap: :haha:

Return to “Reference Books”