Another Taigen T-34/85, Late '45

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Re: Another Taigen T-34/85, Late '45

Post by Dr Phibes »

Thanks 43rd, very nice pics too. Here's a couple I found useful as well (they show some differing grades of casting, I think?);

This one appears relatively smooth (for a T-34 it seems! 8O ). That said this appears to be a post-war tank or at least one with post-war 'upgrades' ;)
T-34 Turret 02.jpg
But here's one of the 'rougher' Friday afternoon turrets. I think they didn't just cast it they also rendered it with a nice layer of concrete :haha: ;
T-34 Turret 01.jpg
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

The T series turrets are as much a signature of the manufacturer as certain things are to Panthers etc.
MNH Daimler Benz etc have features that easily indenting them, as do T34/85 turrets.
I have got the quick reference guide somewhere, I will locate it and post it here to help.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Looks good. I always struggle with wanting to make my tanks look a little beat up vs just leaving them as is.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/ru ... /rpt34.htm

That article covers the turret signatures.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17735

My build link in case its handy.

The turrets are such a marker for the tanks identity that when yours is a 'late 45' does that mean it was produced in 45 or an older built version that will be period set in 45 ?
There are different features is all.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
tankme

Post by tankme »

Comparing that page to the Taigen metal turret, it seems that it is the "Flattened Style" Turret, 1945 Production as it is the only version with the Type C roof.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

HERMAN BIX wrote:http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/ru ... /rpt34.htm

That article covers the turret signatures.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17735

My build link in case its handy.

The turrets are such a marker for the tanks identity that when yours is a 'late 45' does that mean it was produced in 45 or an older built version that will be period set in 45 ?
There are different features is all.
Thank you very much Herman, I do have that link and have pursued it (I think I might of got it from your build thread if I recall?) but, to be honest haven't really had time to study it (or others) as much as would have liked. I should add I spent some time going through your build thread and it was a big part of my thinking about going the way of the 'bedspring' T, it just looks so unusual and makes for an interesting discussion piece to boot! :thumbup:
Regarding the reference to Late '45 I had in mind a loose idea of late 1945 production T, as suggested by Taigen (which seems consistent with the turret the later features mapped out in the Lynx link and the Haynes manual - my main sources for what little knowledge of this tank I have). To a large extent the Taigen metal turret dictated that decision, but certainly little more than that (and the later production wheels - mainly because as pointed out the earlier version doesn't seem available, though these seems to be mixed and matched to some extent anyway) I was looking to give some sense of a fairly worn and fought machine in the later stage of the war, though not quite burn out and abandoned.
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

tankme wrote:Comparing that page to the Taigen metal turret, it seems that it is the "Flattened Style" Turret, 1945 Production as it is the only version with the Type C roof.
Yes, Tankme, you are right it certainly is a 'type C' flattened style (1945 production) turret - this appears to be pretty precisely what Taigen followed.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

As for the question of early wheels, I know a body that does a very good printed set :shifty:
Mr Raminator can produce the sort you need to open up the timeline on any T34 variant.
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

Dr Phibes wrote:
tankme wrote:Comparing that page to the Taigen metal turret, it seems that it is the "Flattened Style" Turret, 1945 Production as it is the only version with the Type C roof.
Yes, Tankme, you are right it certainly is a 'type C' flattened style (1945 production) turret - this appears to be pretty precisely what Taigen followed.
genesis of T34, for info, if necessary !!!
https://www.cohfrance.org/topic/1501-pr ... 6-le-t-34/
http://www.wardrawings.be/WW2/Files/1-V ... uction.htm
https://fr-academic.com/dic.nsf/frwiki/337315
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-34#Desc ... _technique
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/t3485bg_2.html

A bit more light reading !
I forgot I had this...........wheels just didnt seem to be a thing back then, but they sure do now ;)
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Other Builds”