My Grandad - How to find his military record?

The purpose of this board is to post information and pictures of the family members who served have served in any kind of service to their country. In this way we can honour their memory and service.
bikerdude
Lance Corporal

My Grandad - How to find his military record?

Post by bikerdude »

Thought this would be best in this section as some of you may have experience in this. I would like to find my Grandads military service records, I believe this is possible, but I've no idea where to start. I've got a brown book that says 'Soldiers service and pay book' on the cover, but it's so old a delicate that I don't like handling it too much, I've got photos of each page, but some of the writing is hard to read, particularly the pages about what training he did. Theres also a little blue book, that says membership card along the top, and then in the middle says 'Special Air Service Regimental Association. This is in much better condition, but it's all just printed, very little personal details, just his name ' R. Williams' and a membership number of 329.

There are also a few badges, one says EGYPT and Gloucestershire. Another says Devonshire, and then one that is a crown at the top and a big curved horn below, with PA but no other writing. There is also a badge that's very unclear, but looks as though it might be a WWI tank in the middle surrounded by a star sort of shape and then a ring of leaves or something. and finally a winged dagger, with the banner who dares wins, but this looks a lot newer and far better condition than the others, so not sure when it is from. Also just found an NVA badge, which I think is the Normandy Veterans Association.

I also have his small medals (sadly the proper medals went to my uncle, who later died and the medals passed to my cousin, rather than my Dad, and no idea what he's done with them). There are 2 stars, one with dark blue, red and light blue striped ribbons, the other has red, white, green, white, red stripes. Then 3 round medals, 1st ribbon is green, black, green, orange, green, black, green, the 2nd is red, blue, white, red, white, blue, red, and 3rd is purple, green, purple with a bar saying Palestine 1945-48.

Can anyone point me in the direction of finding out more about what he did during the war?

I do have photos of these things on my phone, I just need to try and get them uploaded sometime. Any help is much appreciated.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: My Grandad - How to find his military record?

Post by Tiger6 »

bikerdude
Lance Corporal

Post by bikerdude »

Thanks, I did find that but wasn't sure if I met the criteria. Would I need written permission from my Dad, as both my Grandad and Grandmother have both died, or would I need consent from Aunts as well. There was a bit I didn't quite get about the fees either, as it was per search, but says I have to fill in 2 forms, so is that 2x £30, or 2 forms for the 1 search. And finally, when I had a look it asked for his military service number. In the book I have there are 2 numbers, so not sure which is his service number.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

bikerdude wrote:
Thanks, I did find that but wasn't sure if I met the criteria. Would I need written permission from my Dad, as both my Grandad and Grandmother have both died, or would I need consent from Aunts as well. There was a bit I didn't quite get about the fees either, as it was per search, but says I have to fill in 2 forms, so is that 2x £30, or 2 forms for the 1 search. And finally, when I had a look it asked for his military service number. In the book I have there are 2 numbers, so not sure which is his service number.
Have a look at this site. It lists the service number sequences of particular regiments. He's likely to have had a 7-figure number. This should help decide which number applies:
https://www.researchingww2.co.uk/army-n ... -army-ww2/
When I asked for my late Father's WW2 service records, I had his service number- but not his death certificate. Accordingly, I was given medal roll information, and period of service, and little more. But it was free.
My father died over thirty years ago, and it appears they're not particularly bothered who applies to see the records if 25 years have elapsed since the old soldier finally 'faded away'. All you need is the death certificate and the £30. When I applied, I thought the charge would cover all relevant service information, but perhaps they've gotten greedy since then. :eh: :/
A service number will speed things up immeasurably. :thumbup:
I must apply to Edinburgh for Dad's death certificate some day- but it's gloomy business. It seems essential to have it, however, for full disclosure with the MOD. One of these days... :think:

edit: this page is particularly helpful: https://www.researchingww2.co.uk/order- ... ce-record/
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

My father's service records burned up in 1973 in a huge warehouse fire in St. Louis, Missouri. (https://www.archives.gov/personnel-reco ... /fire-1973). Even a retired Colonel could get nowhere. So I urge you to go get 'em for the sake of your family, your descendants, and your own heart. And for that matter, I would like to learn about your father's service, too. Good luck: happy hunting; gute Jagd, Bikerdude.

Return to “Ancestors”