A new sensible family car maybe...........

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.

Sensible yes or no :)

Poll ended at Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:17 pm

YES, TOTALLY Genius
73%
NO, YOUR STUPID
27%

Total votes: 11

Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Re: A new sensible family car maybe...........

Post by Will01Capri »

HERMAN BIX wrote:VE Commodore down here.
Clubsport most likely but you will soon tell by looking.
Check out a joint called Chiptorque in Queensland for a start off.
The list of hot ups for them is endless
Yeah UK market sold under the Vauxhall brand as no one knows what a Holden is, but yes its a proper GM car
I like cars which don't shout hey look at me, i much rather tear into the distance and someone goes what was that!
Trying to keep sensible head on though, stock power is probably good enough for Cat to get the kids to school, if she had a supercharger i would have to explain to the local police why they couldn't keep up with her lol
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

What electric cars need is a universal slide in / slide out battery pack facility in two capacities, one for small and one for large vehicles. The driver simply drives up to the automated exchange bay, selects the capacity type and inserts the payment card and the exchanger identifies the battery module, withdraws it and replaces it with a charged one from stock. Takes but a minute to complete.

The packs are like gas bottles, owned by a third party and not the driver or the recharging station. The packs are tested with each recharge and have a guaranteed min charge. The packs are recharged and tested at the station, all automatically.

All car manufacturers design their vehicles to use these packs, no options.

All it would take is an internationally agreed pack design and procedure. And that's where the idea fails because they all want to sell their own solutions and f**k the customer

We know the feeling, how many battle systems have we got? In the mean time we focus on WW3, fighting for a planet that's going down the pan anyway.

Depressed, me??

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

The problem with modern cars is that they're notsimple anymore. The days of intuition, feeler gauges, simple continuity testers,corner motorshop testers (for sparkplugs etc), compression testers and the ubiquitous Haynes manuals are pretty well past, in my experience. These days- the ECUs run the car and, unless you can afford a decent diagnostic unit, fault finding tends to be consigned to dealership garages (and that's the way the likes of Honda, BMW, and so on, prefer it. :/ )
The days of getting all your spares from the breaker's yard are also long past, I think.
I used to base my car world on the 1960s Mini Cooper 'S" (970, 1071 and 1275cc), for decades and later the much maligned MG Metro Turbo, which could have been a great car but for lacklustre building practices, in an industry policed by barrack-room lawyers. Though I've owned many other types, and brands. Then, I shifted to Volvo, and had two 480ES examples, for looks, pop-up headlights and decent performance. These days, I potter round the Honda Civic and Jazz range just for sheer reliability. The need for scintillation disappears (along with many other things), with advancing years. :/
However,
One factor to consider, whether you want something sensible and 'future-proof', or something a bit unusual, and gutsy, is whether it can take E10 fuel. Many cars built before 2011 can't. :thumbdown:
Classics that ran on leaded fuel (the old Coopers etc) needed new valves and hardened valve seats to cope with the switch from leaded to unleaded. The same will be true for more modern cars, with the planned eventual switch to E10 (10 % Ethanol) gas in the pipeline, so to speak. :problem: Such mods could prove to be very expensive.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

43rdRecceReg wrote: One factor to consider, whether you want something sensible and 'future-proof', or something a bit unusual, and gutsy, is whether it can take E10 fuel. Many cars built before 2011 can't. :thumbdown:
Classics that ran on leaded fuel (the old Coopers etc) needed new valves and hardened valve seats to cope with the switch from leaded to unleaded. The same will be true for more modern cars, with the planned eventual switch to E10 (10 % Ethanol) gas in the pipeline, so to speak. :problem: Such mods could prove to be very expensive.
I have bad news my hero, as from the 1st of last month (September) E10 has been the standard issue petrol on the UKs forecourts.
My issue is with the shortsighted governments throughout the developed world with their single minded concentration on electric vehicles,
That is most certainly not the future of the power unit for cars/trucks/buses. soon and I mean in the next 20 years or less I guarantee that hydrogen fuel cells will takeover as the main power source for these vehicles, Non polluting and no power stations powered by Gas/Coal to provide the electricity that will charge car batteries.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
General Jumbo01

"The need for scintillation disappears (along with many other things), with advancing years. :/"

As you age your ability loses its edge but once behind the wheel one seems to forget that. Behind the bars on a superbike makes it even harder to recall. Hitting the tarmac at 150 or so tends to bring it all home though. I tend to try to keep my spills under 50. They don't hurt for so long ;(

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

As Roy mentioned the metro I thought I'd post a picture of the one I owned :D it was built and sprayed by a friend of mine while he was doing his panel beating and spraying apprenticeship. It was a 1275cc and had a partial metro 6R4 body kit fitted :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee. Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
General Jumbo01

Now that looks fun! Is RC tanks where all car nutters end up? :clap:
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

I swapped it for a MK11 XR2 when my first daughter was born GJ as it was a little more sensible :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Model Builder 4 wrote:I swapped it for a MK11 XR2 when my first daughter was born GJ as it was a little more sensible :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Nice one Lee. 6r4 coolness. Mk2.xr2 very cool

Has everyone voted above?
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Harrop make super chargers, PWR make all the alloy tanks and radiators.
Harrop also do induction upgrade kits as do SS inductions.
Walkinshaw and HSV do all body and engine upgrades, Techno auto sport also do custom tunes that you can buy and flash to your ecu
Just do it, what’s the worst that can happen !!!??
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Off topic”