Sherman metal tracks

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Sherman metal tracks

Post by Jofaur86 »

:) Hello, need advice, for metal tracks, on Sherman Tamiya? what type, and supplier? reasonable price !! in advance thank you
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Sherman metal tracks

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Hi, Jofaur

A quick scan of 'net suggests that Impact or Mato tracks might be the ones to aim for.
For research, here's an excerpt from a thread where Tamiya Sherman upgrades, including tracks, are discussed:
"...Mokei Kagaku
Mokei Kagaku
Members
1908 posts
Posted March 15, 2014
Metal tracks from Tamiya:

84127 1/16 Tiger I Die Cast Metal Tracks
84128 1/16 King Tiger Die Cast Metal Tracks
84129 1/16 Panther Die Cast Metal Tracks

84217 1/16 Pershing (T81) Die Cast Metal Tracks
84218 1/16 Panzerkampfwagen IV Die Cast Metal Tracks
84219 1/16 KV-1/KV-2 Die Cast Metal Tracks

84261 1/16 Leopard 2 Die Cast Metal Tracks

As the Sherman, Leopard and Gepard are standard equipped with metal tracks, metal tracks are available from Tamiya themselves for all Tamiya tanks except for the JS-2. The JS-2 tracks look quite similar to the KV-1/KV-2 tracks but according to the manuals, they aren't identical.

Other Tamiya die cast option parts:

84216 1/16 Leopard 2 Die Cast Metal Suspension Arms
84220 1/16 Leopard 2 Die Cast Metal Track Tensioners
84221 1/16 Sherman Die Cast Metal Idler Wheels
84222 1/16 Sherman Die Cast Final Drive Covers...."
from this link:
https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index. ... -upgrades/

Personally, I have no experience of trying to fit metal tracks to a Tamiya Sherman, and so I can't comment on whether those intended for HL and Taigen models, or even Mato, can be fitted without issue to a Tamiya Sherman. Generally, though, I find that Tamiya's own resin-based tracks look good, are hard-wearing, and reduce the strain on the gearboxes that metal tracks impose. To recap, though, it seems that Impact (probably pricey), Mato and Tamiya make- or have made- tracks for the Sherman. Those are the ones to chase up. Hope that helps. :wave:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

:) hello and thank you for your answer, it is after reading the various Sherman posts of the Forum, that I asked the question about the reliability of the original tracks? In view of the difficulty and the price to obtain metal, it is to be considered. Thank you again, good day.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I hope others will jump in here to help from their experience--either to confirm what I say or correct it. I have had headaches with Mato metal tracks for the Sherman. In fact, a few years ago, a seller sent me a plastic bag full of track pins and links so I could make a significant number of repairs to Sherman tracks that just kept breaking apart with easy, indoor use. Part of the problem I find is that the tracks do not fit well with the drive wheels. Now the Taigen/Torro and HengLong Shermans with metal tracks roll smoothly.
tankme

Post by tankme »

Since Impact is pretty much defunct, I think you can rule them out unless you can find a set on the used market.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

IMPACT is present at Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=impact%20upgrades
Kenny Kong Tracks availaible at ebay seller https://www.ebay.com/str/hobbysummit
Both are not special offers and you have to want to afford them.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

In my opinion, even when I always critic Tamiya, I have found the original tracks to be completelly OK. They are very robust and mine are lasting for years and years of use and abuse. Of course there is some wear in the chevrons, but besides that, they are top. Completelly different with other tamiya tanks like the crap tiger or the Panzer IV. So unless you need other tracks just because you don't have any, Id use the Tamiya ones
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

:) Hello, and thank you all for your answers, :thumbup: indeed, I think that will keep those origins, especially as a spare game, given by a friend, which even seems fragile at the level of the assembly? after all, not intensive use, and the price of the metal versions, cost an arm!
tankme

Post by tankme »

jhamm wrote:IMPACT is present at Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=impact%20upgrades
Impact is not out of business, but they are out of the 1/16 tank business. Yes Impact will sell anything that they have left, but they are not making anymore parts. They make other non-tank stuff as their primary business. The tank stuff was a side hustle for them.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “General Questions”