RC 1/16 Churchill Mk III - Dieppe Raid 1942 - Build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: RC 1/16 Churchill Mk III - Dieppe Raid 1942 - Build

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Tea..............a calming salve for a tense situation...............and Canadian or not, they were(and still are to a degree) proud Commonwealth soldiers that carried much trait and tradition form "the old country" as any Englishman did back then!!

A 'NewF'y' however :problem: :/ ...........even if they did, no one could understand them :wtf: :haha:

I can only assume that the cam colour being newly applied onto relatively new build machines(and the average low U.V. exposure in England over that time :eh: ) would have made the hue quite dark.
I have used a Tamiya XF-81 Dark Green 2 RAF as a very versatile green shade that is darkish if you leave it as is, but lighter if its highlighted & dusted, but much lighter than the usual XF-58 Olive green in comparison.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
TravisS
Recruit

Post by TravisS »

The exact colour is tricky. Here’s an interesting conversation thread you might not have seen (including a colour photograph of a Churchill Mk III, though not a Dieppe Churchill). https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/ind ... confusion/

To add further confusion (sorry), here’s a picture of Beefy (we believe it’s taken only a few days before the Raid, so no residual yet from smoke or shelling or from the waterproofing). Hard to say if it’s just shadows, but it looks like the track armour might have been a slightly different shade from the hull.

The man with the pipe in his mouth is Sgt Patrick (commander of Beefy) and the man with the paint brush is my grandfather, Trooper Archie Anderson (loader/radio operator of the tank called Bellicose). It’s too bad the photo is not in colour, but maybe there’s still some useful information for you.
Dieppe Raid, Beefy, Sgt Patrick, Trp Anderson of Bellicose
Dieppe Raid, Beefy, Sgt Patrick, Trp Anderson of Bellicose
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi!

Thank you for your support. I can see the color of tanks at that time is not obvious. Looks like it should be Khaki green No3.

I finally did find in my library a book i had about Canadian armour with color graphics. Very good book. They do indicate Khaki Green No3 for Dieppe tanks. Multiple references point in that direction.
Looking at the Mig Ammo set for commonwealth tanks. Khaki Green No3 is on the right, looking quite beige in the bottle.
However, once applied and dry, the Khaki Drab No3 sample seems to compare well with the reference color graphics. With the application of dark pigments on top of it, i think it will look dark enough and authentic. However, i would personally have preferred something greener but Dieppe is ETO 1942, not the more common ETO 1944/1945 when the color changed to British Olive Drab.
For decals, i got the Echelon 1/35 part 2 decals for the C Squadron during the Dieppe raid. I can see they looked and researched every pictures to come up with these decals. This is a good base to extrapolate to 1/16 because the color of the AFV Club decals coming with the kit are wrong and should not be used. I purchased the Echelon set so i guess i can do whatever i want with them. Notice they indicate Churchill MK IV on the top cover. I think they need to figure out their roman numbers as there were no Churchill Mk IV at Dieppe...
Selected decals for CHEETAH are scanned and expanded to 1/16 scale with Powerpoint. As for the lettering, i did download some Military fonts from the web and managed to find something quite close. These are RAF WW2 fonts and the font names are printed at the bottom to make sure i remember them. The letters are in black at this stage and the sheet is printed on regular paper so that i can figure them out and adjust.
I got a tip from our member friend Snipermadrid during the GTK Boxer build that i can create my own decals with virgin decal papers sold on Amazon, and a regular Ink Jet printer. I am giving it a try on this build. No way around it.
The decals are printed with best quality setting on the decal paper using my ordinary Epson printer. The lettering was changed to White. As per instructions, an enamel clear coat is prayed on the sheet. I used Tamiya semi-gloss from a spay can. I am guessing that extra coats can be applied for stronger decals.
And to my surprise, the miracle does occur. I did a few tests and the decals are nice and thin, they slide well, and firmly stick to plastic. These 1/16 scale decals for a Dieppe Churchill look promising. However, i found out that my printer does not print white, only higher grade printer print white. So, i need to find another solution for the lettering, and i need to apply white paint as a base to some decals in order for white color to show the translucid decal where the white is requested.
Regards,

Louis
Last edited by lmcq11 on Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

I'm very impressed with the home-made decals, Louis. I'd always been really skeptical of the decal paper, but the results speak for themselves. It's going to be great seeing them over the khaki!
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

TravisS wrote:The man with the pipe in his mouth is Sgt Patrick (commander of Beefy) and the man with the paint brush is my grandfather, Trooper Archie Anderson (loader/radio operator of the tank called Bellicose). It’s too bad the photo is not in colour, but maybe there’s still some useful information for you.
Thank you Traviss for this unpublished picture. Very interesting to see actual Churchill crew members and BEEFY before the raid.
It is with some emotions that we can see BEEFY again lying on the Dieppe beach. A study of your picture made me realize there is a small plate at the bottom of the idler extensions (red arrow) that i had not seen before, and missed in graphs and the 1/35 kit.
I can see this plate is a remain of the large sprocket covers that were removed by the Canadians, similar to the larger plate above with the wooden block.
Capture1b.JPG (36.72 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
I did watch last night a few old German and British newsreels on the Dieppe raid on the web. I took some interesting snapshots from these old movies.

View of the air war over Dieppe. Let's remember that the Dieppe raid was also an air battle. In the attempt to gain air superiority, the Allies lost 106 planes that day and 86 crews, mainly fighter pilots. The Germans lost 48 planes. It was definitely a disastrous day for the RAF and RCAF as well.
Capture2.JPG (36.7 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
This build focusses on the Churchill tanks but Dieppe was mostly an infantry landing. 907 Canadian soldiers were killed, 2,460 were wounded, and 1,946 were taken prisoner. The British lost 300 soldiers.

I think we're are looking at actual films from the Dieppe assault but it could be training shots at well, the old propaganda newsreels can be misleading. The pictures do show the same method and technology used. We can see the smoke screens. Let's remember this is 1942 and these were the first attempts at landing infantry and tanks for an assault. Although these seem to be good high speed personnel landing crafts, they were vulnerable to well aimed German mortar and machine gun barrage. The Royal Navy lost 33 landing crafts, 1 destroyer and 550 personnel during the raid. Although many crafts can be seen stranded on the beach, many others sank at sea after dropping their loads, full of holes.
Capture4.JPG (66.22 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
Capture5.JPG (73.28 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
Capture12.JPG (54.95 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
Capture13.JPG (54.45 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
Capture6.JPG (57.5 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
Capture7.JPG (96.13 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
continuing on following post
Last edited by lmcq11 on Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

A rare view of a Churchill on a Tank Landing Craft.
Capture13a.JPG (67.22 KiB) Viewed 1391 times
I was a bit skeptical as to why the Churchills needed to be given large deep wading equipment since they were coming out of a TLC with large ramp that could technically get them strait on the beach. We can see from these training shots that the tanks had to get down in about 5 feet deep water.
Capture13b.JPG (35.88 KiB) Viewed 1391 times
Capture13c.JPG (34.82 KiB) Viewed 1391 times
Similar to Green beach at Pourville to the south, this is the kill zone of Blue beach at Puys with cliffs on both side held by the German and left intact. Its a scene of carnage where hundreds were machinegunned, few survived. We can see the German bunker on top of the hill, giving no chance to the pinned down infantry below to get some cover at the foot of the sea wall.
Capture14.JPG (73.03 KiB) Viewed 1391 times
Infantry surrendering after the landing crafts did not come back.
Capture15.JPG (48.25 KiB) Viewed 1391 times
Some more views of the Dieppe beach from German newsreel.
Capture19.JPG (77.57 KiB) Viewed 1391 times
Capture19a.JPG (68.16 KiB) Viewed 1391 times
Capture20.JPG (69.59 KiB) Viewed 1391 times
Capture21.JPG (89.46 KiB) Viewed 1391 times
Capture22.JPG (92.52 KiB) Viewed 1391 times
That's it for now. The Churchill will be primed today.

Regards, Louis
Last edited by lmcq11 on Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
TravisS
Recruit

Post by TravisS »

For your interest, here are a few more pics of Calgary Tanks on a TLC (including a slightly higher resolution version of the picture you have). These are actually screenshots from a video. The only place I have ever seen this footage is in a documentary called "Dieppe 1942" (1979).

This footage was most likely taken during a training exercise because it's daylight, there are soldiers in another shot who are smiling at the camera and the mess of gear on top of the tank visible in the third picture.

I am not sure which tank this is, but 11 Troop was not among those able to land at Dieppe that day.
Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 5.51.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 5.37.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 5.11.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 5.12.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 5.03.10 PM.png
NAB
Corporal

Post by NAB »

Fantastic build.
Also I notice how nice your modelling area is! So much natural light. Not like the normal dark 'man caves' we get relegated to!

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Thank you TravisS, these are very nice additions, showing lots of details not seen elsewhere.
NAB wrote: I notice how nice your modelling area is! So much natural light. Not like the normal dark 'man caves' we get relegated to!
Thank you NAB. Yeah, my wife and i determined that my man cave in the basement was bad for my health; no good light, no fresh air, alone there for hours. Even with three desk lamps from various angles, light was never powerful enough. And i had a feeling i must have been breathing a certain level of Radon over the years. For my retirement that i hope will bring decades of modelling, i offered myself the luxury of a Modelling Verandah instead of a new car. It brings natural light, fresh air, a view and some company into the hobby. And when i have something dirty or smelling to do, i just step outside and do it on the patio table. There is also room for a breakfast table and two comfortable chairs. Of course, the Canadian winter will bring some limitations but i intent on heating the place except maybe in the worst months of Jan-Feb period. So far, i highly recommend it.
Here is a quick update on the Churchill painting. You can see where this is going.
Regards, Louis
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

This update post is for the home made decals.

First, i had to remind myself that some markings seemed to have been manually applied, although i can see templates have been used as well in other pictures.
Because my Inkjet printer does not print white, i had to get the decal sheets with white background instead of transparent. The colors are also more livid with white backgrounds.
Decals are printed and then applied with 2 coats of semi-gloss varnish. They are then cut and made ready to be soaked in hot water. With the white background, i have to be careful about white edges.
I have to say it took at least three application attempts per decal to get to a satisfactory result. Some would break, some would lose their color, or I did not cut them right. I had to reprint more sheets and try different Tamiya varnishes. These round decals are also complicated to cut. Somehow, I found that the best method is to apply a second coat of varnish on the decal sheet, wait a few minute but not wait for the varnish to be totally dry before cutting, soaking the decal in hot water, slide and apply. The decals seemed more strong and flexible that way. But at one point, an attempt is good and I could move on to the next. I am happy with what i was able to achieve here on my own. The decals also stick very well. I know the cone in the middle of the allied marker should be made partially red and white as well, but this is a skill limitation on my side at this time. I am wary of applying red/white paint for fear of ruining the look. I’ll see later. It was a good learning experience and will do it again on future builds when required. Just need a good set of widely available decals in 1/35 as a base.
With this method, i was able to create on my own 1/16 scale Churchill decals for the Dieppe raid, otherwise it would have been a real problem for this build.

The Churchill tank now properly belongs to 13 Troop, C Squadron, 14th Canadian Army Tank Regiment (Calgary Regiment) that was at Dieppe.
Lucky number 13...
For the white letterings for CHEETAH and the tank serial number, i think i found something on the market that will work out. These are 1/72 RAF generic markings. It's on order and i have to wait for them before i can finish the tank and give it a flat clear coat. In the meantime, i still have a lot to do.
Capture15.JPG (91.46 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
Regards, Louis
Last edited by lmcq11 on Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other Builds”