Separating Road Wheels Heng Long Panzer IV

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
SCHWEREPANZER
Sergeant

Separating Road Wheels Heng Long Panzer IV

Post by SCHWEREPANZER »

Well chaps, I need some help.

I am having a devil of a time separating the stock H-L Panzer IV bogeys (outward facing and inward facing) from each other. I'm doing that to retrieve the mounting hardwared in anticipation of replacing the plastic H-L wheels with Mato metal wheels. I've tried the Mato instruction of using a screw driver blade to separate the inner and outer. No good. Two screw drivers blades working together. No good. Automobile battery cable puller. No good.

One set separated easily. Other wheels seemed to separate front to back, but will not apart.

Is there something I'm missing in this otherwise seemingly easy task? I don't think I'm an idiot, but I feel like one.

Any help, most welcome.

Thanks,

Ralph
john1970
Corporal

Re: Separating Road Wheels Heng Long Panzer IV

Post by john1970 »

What do you mean by bogies?? the wheels or the whole suspension unit
SCHWEREPANZER
Sergeant

Post by SCHWEREPANZER »

Hey John,

I mean the outfacing wheel (the one facing you when looking at a direct side view) from the infacing wheel (the wheel facing the underneath of the tank. Taken together they constitute a bogey.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

The glue monkey must have really gone to town on yours.
Total destruction is the only way.
The wheels will need to be shattered to get them apart.
Some you get apart easily, others require old fashioned brutality.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

ok
When heng long fit the wheels the inner wheel is screwed to the the suspension and the outer wheel is glued to the inner wheel . so normally you would have to snap the outer wheel off to get at the screw but sometime the inner wheel breaks away from the part the outer wheel glues to making it very difficult to snap off the outer wheel so you need to saw the part joining the 2 wheels together but not to deep as to cut into the axle the wheels are screwed to so cut a little turn cut a little turn and so on.

you can tell if the wheels have broken away from each other by holding the outer wheel and trying to turn the inner wheel if it turns the hub has come away
SCHWEREPANZER
Sergeant

Post by SCHWEREPANZER »

Yes, Mr. Bix and John. So true, so true. Though it appears the inner and outer were never actually glued. The tolerances were exceedingly fine and when pressed together they formed a bond as if they had been glued. Of the 16 wheels per side, I was able to salvage (for what reason I don't know) six. The others had to be mauled to death to make room for a Dremel grinder which did the trick of exposing the threaded shaft that anchored them in place. Once exposed, the rest was easy. However, the odor of the melting plastic is semi-toxic. Beware those who set forth on this journey in the future.

Thanks gents. Appreciate your input.

Return to “General Questions”