Ardennes King Tiger - Jnewboy Customs

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Ardennes King Tiger - Jnewboy Customs

Post by Jofaur86 »

??? the famous G? it would seem that it is a relation with the General Gudérian, designer of the German armored weapon, he applied the doctrine of the lightning war, including the intensive use of the tanks, France 1940, Russia 1941 (source Wikipedia ) now no confirmation? but would seem plausible ??
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

Jofaur86 wrote:??? the famous G? it would seem that it is a relation with the General Gudérian, designer of the German armored weapon, he applied the doctrine of the lightning war, including the intensive use of the tanks, France 1940, Russia 1941 (source Wikipedia ) now no confirmation? but would seem plausible ??
Interesting theory, I have never heard that one. There are many historical forums arguing on this subject. I tend to favor the Glysantin theory, but we will probably never know.

ImageUntitled by Jnewboy Customs, on Flickr
Last edited by Jnewboy on Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Well I suppose anything is possible.
I have been told that the all steel wheeled Panthers unit had a team of factory engineers assigned to them to analyse the wear and performance of the steel wheel concept.

Who is to say that specifically designated machines were the focus of an engine improvement scheme.
After all, at that stage, there was no chance anyone was telling the Boss not to bother, we are about done here !!!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

According to Roddy MacDougall and Martin Block's book on the Panther, the G stood for Glysantin. This was only to be used in the winter, as the higher summer temperatures would cause the additives in the coolant to break down and boil off. When spring came around, the coolant would have to be flushed completely, and the summer coolant Akorol was to be used. The 2 could not be mixed without causing damage to the engine. The book mentions that the service manuals would have instructions to paint over the G marking once the coolant had been changed, but doesn't give a source that I can verify that against.
EAO

Post by EAO »

Interesting! I always assumed it was for Guderian too? Possibly earlier in the war with other tanks though? :think: At any rate; Jnewboy, another marvelous creation. Watching along as always! :thumbup: :wave:

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

EAO wrote:Interesting! I always assumed it was for Guderian too? Possibly earlier in the war with other tanks though? :think: At any rate; Jnewboy, another marvelous creation. Watching along as always! :thumbup: :wave:

Cheers,
Eric.
During Operation Barbarossa the Army group commander's initial was painted on the fenders of the vehicles (G for Guderian, K for Von Kleist etc), but this died out with the end of that operation as far as I know. By the time they get to the Ardennes offensive, they aren't even supposed to be painting unit markings on their vehicles.
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

EAO wrote:Interesting! I always assumed it was for Guderian too? Possibly earlier in the war with other tanks though? :think: At any rate; Jnewboy, another marvelous creation. Watching along as always! :thumbup: :wave:

Cheers,
Eric.
Thanks my friend, I appreciate the kind words, Im debating the quantity of spots, do you guys think I should remove some before weathering?
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello
pensez-vous que je devrais en enlever avant de vieillir?

Magnificent work, but for me, one can load too much in points. Perhaps it would have been necessary to make the aging, to see what gives and possibly, to add. But you should know that apart from the historical reconstruction, the main one being that corresponds to your expectation (it is your work) and you like it. Good luck and good day.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Its a coolant/antifreeze still made today by German company BASF.
The link above has a pic of a Jagdtiger with the reference on it.
Also another product called Akorol which was a very poisonous product which could not be mixed with normal coolant.
As is the case today, different coolants have base compounds that do not mix with others and so must be flushed very well before going to another product.
Tanks they may be, but still automotive machines with the same fragility as any other.

Great to have the old marking 'G' cleared up.
Well it certainly is for me anyway.
Taking things at face value its more important to know what your precious engines are running rather than who is in charge so you can look after them accordingly.

HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
EAO

Post by EAO »

Tiger6 wrote:
During Operation Barbarossa the Army group commander's initial was painted on the fenders of the vehicles (G for Guderian, K for Von Kleist etc), but this died out with the end of that operation as far as I know. By the time they get to the Ardennes offensive, they aren't even supposed to be painting unit markings on their vehicles.[/quote]

Thank you Tiger6 for clearing away the cobwebs from my mind! :D

Herman, great find! Interesting articles. :thumbup:

Jnewboy; as to the spots, I really like it the way it is IMHO! :clap:

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!

Return to “Heng Long Builds”