RC tank community

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
NAB
Corporal

RC tank community

Post by NAB »

Is this community quite small? I have struggled to find any other active forum except this one.
I would have thought that RC tanks would be more popular considering the fact you can model with them and then take them out for an actual drive/battle!

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk
jarndice
Colonel

Re: RC tank community

Post by jarndice »

NAB wrote:Is this community quite small? I have struggled to find any other active forum except this one.
I would have thought that RC tanks would be more popular considering the fact you can model with them and then take them out for an actual drive/battle!

I don't think you have been looking very hard :haha:
I am a member of an Australian, North American,British, German and French r/c Armoured forum.
And there are more than just those out there.
But when compared to the R/C Aircraft community our world is quite miniscule :lolno:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Also Polish and Czech forums ;) And there is RC Tank forum on RC Universe: https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/

But it's still niche hobby in comparison to RC cars, ships and planes.
NAB
Corporal

Post by NAB »

I didn't mean there isn't other forums but I meant active one. Some I've seen the last post was 2 or 3 years ago!

Kaczor

Post by Kaczor »

Polish, German, Czech, Russian and other forums are very active but many people move to Facebook groups.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

NAB wrote:I didn't mean there isn't other forums but I meant active one. Some I've seen the last post was 2 or 3 years ago!

The only one of those that I listed that could be classed as only semi-active is the R/C Australia Forum but it is nevertheless a rich source of information.
Kaczor gave you the address of R/C Universe and that is as active as R/C Tank Warfare and as we are oriented toward the UK r/c universe is centred around the USA but in both cases not exclusively so AND you will meet a few of us on that site some using the same ident others hiding behind another non de plume :haha:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

The RC tank community is tiny! Compared to RC car racing for example, there are clubs who meet once or twice a week in nearly every large town in the UK, as there is for boats and planes. In the UK we struggle to hold tank meets once a month in each county, often failing.

I think the history of RC tanks has influenced this. Tamiya were the only supplier and their prices were too high for the average modeller to show interest. There were no budget entry level options so with so few tankers about, there were no clubs to encourage the hobby.

Since HengLong came along there has been a significant increase in world wide uptake. Initially the few Tamiya tankers very much looked down their noses at HengLong models but that has changed since Taigen and Torro lifted the bar a little and again since HL have lifted their own bar with range, detail, function and general quality upgrades where Tamiya have remained unchanged.

What would really change the scene is if the manufacturers and the users (us) could agree standards for battle systems and formats that could be adopted to encourage clubs to form and flourish. Without that, RC tank modeling will remain a home based model making hobby rather than a club based one and, therefore, niche. That doesn't make it any less enjoyable...... or does it? I suspect it maybe does :(

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
NAB
Corporal

Post by NAB »

If Heng long has increased the interest in RC tanks then it makes sense to make the HL battle system the one of choice? This would encourage everyone who had bought a HL tank to join in rather than having to adapt and buy other IR systems that would put people off.

Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Most tank clubs around the world don't battle at all. I don't think making new standards will change anything. Most of us enjoying building and driving in scale dioramas. With all my respect for those who battle, for example the Danvile guys, who play jack rabbiting back and foward with a king tiger... well IMHO is just... pathetic.

There is no IR standard, neither battle code that will prevent guys piloting the models like cheap children toys just for scoring a hit. Definitely no interest for me and neither for any of us in my surroundings.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I quite agree but Its only over the past few months, V6 onwards, that the HL mfu has became fully acceptable, the Taigen and Torro models having had until then a clear edge. That means that the RC tank community currently has invested in two incompatible systems.

For now though, it would be simple enough to run two groups or classes at clubs. The bigger issue is about how battles are conducted. Most are more a Grand Prix skirmish!

However, if you analyse the members of this forum, assuming we are typical, we are more focused on the model making skills and historical accuracy of our models than club meets. Model making is, after all, a rather home based and private hobby. After such complex and time consuming builds, there are not many who would even want to transport their pride and joys to a hall or field, let alone join in a free format battle! Solution??

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection

Return to “General Discussion”