1/16 Tiger 1. Heng Long guts into Tamiya?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
AGKPeiper
Lance Corporal

1/16 Tiger 1. Heng Long guts into Tamiya?

Post by AGKPeiper »

Afternoon all.
As mentioned elsewhere I have a Tamiya Tiger 1 with nothing apart from the turret rotation gear and motor in it.
Seems likely to cost a small fortune to replace with Tamiya parts.
Can I swap the internals from a Heng Long Tiger 1 into my Tamiya?
Tricky I'm sure but feasible?

Thank you for any help.
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: 1/16 Tiger 1. Heng Long guts into Tamiya?

Post by Jofaur86 »

Bonjour, 8) oui c'est réalisable,mais avec beaucoup de travail, :( car rien ne va aller facilement,je l'ai fait pour un KT Tamiya,et n'ose pas faire l'adition,du prix de revient.Vous auriez une photo , de ce qui existe ?
I installed two Heng Long motors, replace the track tension system, Tamiya's one is not great at all, then there will be the lifting system, barrel recoil (if you aspire to achieve it?) and many other achievements, but it is fair. Equipping it directly with original Tamiya parts, will cost you a bra, unless you can be able to find second-hand parts?
AGKPeiper
Lance Corporal

Post by AGKPeiper »

My French is not up to reading or replying to your entire first paragraph but than k you for the encouraging tone.
The plan, if such exists, is to get the beast moving initially and then try and get all other features working.
I am intrigued by the bb cannon possibilities for example.
Thank you again.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

Assuming this is the same tank as this viewtopic.php?f=21&t=32181 you already have all of the motors. I can see the recoil unit, so I'd have to assume the elevation was also present.

The first order of business should be to remove the main gearboxes (the build manual should be in the downloads section) and see if the gearboxes rotate freely and that the 2 main motors still work. Hopefully the shafts in the gearboxes were properly lubricated before it was put into storage, otherwise replacement Tamiya gearboxes will be expensive and hard to procure. The motors are the standard 380 size used by Heng Long, so you can easily replace them if they have seized. If you wanted to use HL gearboxes, you would need to come up with a way of mounting them, and you'll also need a set of sprockets to go with them, as the Tamiya ones have a different interface. (You might also need a set of HL Tracks, as I'm not sure how well the HL sprockets mesh with the Tamiya tracks?).

For the rest of it, plugging it up to a control board of your choice should be easy enough. The aftermarket boards (Clark, IBU, El-Mod) could/should interface with the Tamiya recoil mechanism (the El-Mod does for sure, I don't use the other 2), somebody else will have to chime in as to how you make a Heng Long board work with it tho - again I don't use them. The Flash unit will only work with a Tamiya MF unit, so you can discard that irrespective of what you decide to use. The end connector appears to be missing in any case, so even if you do stumble across the original DMD/MF units, I wouldn't recommend trying to bodge on a new connector unless you really know what you are doing. A Heng Long flash unit will work with all other control boards. The Elevation and rotation motors use 2 pin JST plugs which are easy enough to buy and hook up to you control board.
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

:'( Sorry, this is google translate, but friend Tiger 6 sums up exactly what I was saying. Personally, if the boxes work? I would keep it that way. On my KT I was surprised to find that the metal tracks (RC Tank.de) fit smoothly on the Tam sprockets. ?? for Heng Long engines I had to modify the existing HL support (lengthened in width) with a backing plate ... here we hope you will understand me better
AGKPeiper
Lance Corporal

Post by AGKPeiper »

Thank you very much both.
Unfortunately the gearboxes have had cogs etc removed, presumably to allow the tank to roll freely without the electronics etc.
Most of the turret mechanisms do seem to be present so that will maybe simplify the task. As for the flashing LEDs, they might have to be missed.
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

Ah missed that little detail! In that case you are going to have to adapt a set of Heng Long gearboxes - probably have to make some mounting pads from Milliput and bolt thru the bottom of the chassis. Getting replacement Tamiya units will be a pain - you'd be looking at 60 euro's each plus shipping for replacements and a long wait for them. Repairing the ones in there by getting hold of spares taken from somebodies cast-offs is probably a non starter as they are the older type.
AGKPeiper
Lance Corporal

Post by AGKPeiper »

Yup, I can get a HL Tiger for not much more than a £100, gut it and give the rest away.
As you say that should be easier than attempting to rebuild the existing boxes.
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

might be cheaper to by just the bits you need?

https://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/c1 ... ducts.html
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The Tamiya Tiger 1 is a very accurate example with none of the physical failings of it's cheaper RTR competitors and it is made of top quality materials BUT it's electronic package is dated and overly expensive,
Something worth knowing if you don't already is that Tamiya's 1/16 r/c Armour are all in kit form and if you are prepared to search for a decent stockist/dealer you can buy parts for anything that needs replacing although some parts are as rare as unicorn droppings to find BUT a lot of Taigen/Torro/Heng Long parts will fit,
There are more upgrade parts available for the 1/16 Tiger 1 than for any other Tank in that scale.
The choice of an electronic package is as long as your pockets are deep,
Search the pages of the Forum for a breakdown on what most closely matches your requirements.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “General Questions”