Airbrushes

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
NAB
Corporal

Re: Airbrushes

Post by NAB »

Timbertech Airbrush Kit with Air Compressor ABPST05 With Powerful Air Pressure and Strong Air Flow for Hobbies Crafts Nail Art Temporary Tattoos Cake Decorating Cosmetics Auto-Motorcycle Graphics and so on

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Thx Jahmm..
Hi Herr Dr...
The choice of airbrush is quite a personal thing, the single action is ok for most things and especially good for someone who perhaps does not have good hand coordination.

As for spraying large or small areas, i have two, one with a fine needle and jet and one for large areas with a larger jet and needle.
There are occasions when a dual action is really only the one to use, like when you wish to vary the spray whilst using it ie feathering the paint thickness when approaching another colour and fading the paint in, this is where your ratio of paint to air needs to be adjustable hence the dual action.
As i said earlier its all personal choice and what you want to achieve, a single action is ideal for beginners,
But soon gets limited, if you want to get creative.
Its all good stuff and useful info.
Regards.
Sub.
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi Nab.

No air tank with that one...

The air tank gives you a reservoir of pressurised air to use so it is not " pulsed " with each stroke of the compressor piston.

It gives an even flow of air into the airbrush for an even spray..

But you pays your money and takes your chance.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.
Sub.
NAB
Corporal

Post by NAB »

Ok I'll go for the kit you supplied the link for.
You just get one nozzle size with it?
I've read that for modelling it's best to get 0.2 up to 0.5?

NAB
Corporal

Post by NAB »

I've had a look and chosen an airbrush that comes with different size nozzles and also a compressor with a tank like you suggestedImageImage

tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

That compressor is a Chinese copy of the "Paasche D3000R 1/5 HP Compressor with Tank, Regulator and Moisture Trap". I had the Paasche version and it worked well. It was actually pretty loud which is why I went with the overkill California AirTools CAT-2010A compressor. The CAT-2010A is one of the quietest compressors you can buy and with the large tank it only fills up about every 20 min of spraying. Might be harder to get being that I'm in the States and it is a US company and it is more expensive than a Chinese air compressor copy. I'm sure the one you picked out will work fine if you don't mind the noise. My compressor is indoors and I spray while people are sleeping so I'm glad I went with the quieter compressor. Remember when you are dealing with sound an increase of 3dB doubles the sound intensity, but a 10dB increase is required before a sound is perceived by a human ear to be twice as loud. IE: 9DB is twice as intense as 6DB and 12DB is twice as intense as 9DB. It becomes an logarithmic curve.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
NAB
Corporal

Post by NAB »

I do want a quiet compressor

tankme

Post by tankme »

AS-186 compressor is listed at 47DB so this one may be quieter than the Paasche. May want to see if there are any real DB tests on the internet to reference as most Chinese copies tend to falsify their specs from what I've seen. To compare: 29DB and lower for computer fans are considered very low noise. Most larger compressors are in the 75DB or higher rating. My pancake 6 gallon Bostitch compressor I use for my air nailers is around 78DB which I would say is loud. That is so loud in fact that if I forget to turn it off, I can hear it kick on in the attached garage (kitchen door closed), through the kitchen, through the living room and into my bedroom. On the other hand my current airbrush compressor cannot be heard from the bedroom if my hobby door is open even being in the house.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I use a Badger airbrush with a compressor with tank, water trap, variable pressure and gauge but before the compressor came along l used to use a fully inflated large spare car wheel. You can purchase airbrush adaptors with variable pressure valves for use with car wheels very cheaply and they provide a totally smooth air supply to your brush. Downside is that they have to be inflated before use and they take a fair bit of storage space but they are a cheap and effective option. Quiet too!
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
NAB
Corporal

Post by NAB »

General Jumbo01 wrote:I use a Badger airbrush with a compressor with tank, water trap, variable pressure and gauge but before the compressor came along l used to use a fully inflated large spare car wheel. You can purchase airbrush adaptors with variable pressure valves for use with car wheels very cheaply and they provide a totally smooth air supply to your brush. Downside is that they have to be inflated before use and they take a fair bit of storage space but they are a cheap and effective option. Quiet too!
Are you saying to use a fully inflated car tyre instead of a compressor??

Return to “General Discussion”