Newbie with Heng Longs!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
NAB
Corporal

Newbie with Heng Longs!

Post by NAB »

Hi

I'm new to RC tanks but I have built some WW2 models when I was young and even had the patience to paint 100+ 1/72 scale Napoleonic figures to make a battle scene!

I wanted some battle tanks that I could use with my kids and found a 1/16 Abrams in a local model shop.
It was bigger and more expensive than I was thinking but when I saw the quality of the tank for the price I was sold.
Fast forward a month and I now have 3 tanks lol. Abrams, T-90 and my personal favorite a King Tiger henschell turret.

I will probably make posts about each tank in the builds section and keep them updated as a kind of blog.

I'm new to the whole weathering, chipping thing so I've not tried any on the Heng Longs yet but its definitely what I want to do with them. Also I want to get an airbrush to do different camos etc

Thanks for reading!
NAB
Corporal

Re: Newbie with Heng Longs!

Post by NAB »

Picture of the tanks built fresh from their box
Attachments
Screenshot_20210721-205523_resize_21.jpg
Andy427sc
Recruit

Post by Andy427sc »

Hi Nab

Newbie also... HL Tiger 1 and an M4A3...

I’ve never done much in the way of detailing and weathering. Not really done anything my apart from basic painting so I look forward to seeing what you achieve and learning from your experience :thumbup:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Greetings and welcome! You are off to a great start. Of course, the Abrams and/or the T90 vs.the Königstiger won't be a fair match, so you will need, say, Russian T-34/85 or a U.S. Pershing or 5 U.S. Shermans to handle the WWII Germans. Of course, this sort of thing goes on, and on, an on... ;)

Depending on how much battle action goes on and how old your kids are, your HengLong tanks may need some beefing up and repairs. There's lots of information here on RCTW, and all kinds folks eager to answer. My own tanks are mostly "shelf queens" that get an occasional run on the floor, so modifications are minimal. I enjoy the painting and adding crew figures, stowage, and other vintage paraphernalia, from a "Gulaschkanone" I just got, to the ubiquitous cooler full of beer :O on an Abrams.

An airbrush is a good idea when you get to 1/16 scale, although, in violation of all modeling machismo, I still use some spray cans along with a fifty-year-old "single action" airbrush and a newer "double action" one. Start with something you feel comfortable handling, as even a "single action" brush can work well in 1/16 scale. Ask any questions you like.

And if you liked painting 1/72 figures, try a 1/16 figure (beyond the rather ghastly ones that come in the HengLong tanks, although they are good for practicing and you can make 'em look better).

Yeesh, I have gone on a bit: I can type faster than I can think. :haha:
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

And then there are some of us that like the modification/build process and hate painting figures or anything else. We look down on those people that enjoy painting... :) Just kidding of course, but I do hate the painting part. Even a cheap airbrush can be an asset and do most jobs fairly well in 1/16 scale. To me the compressor for the airbrush is where the investment comes in. The quieter the better as then you can paint when the family goes to bed without bothering them.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
NAB
Corporal

Post by NAB »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Greetings and welcome! You are off to a great start. Of course, the Abrams and/or the T90 vs.the Königstiger won't be a fair match, so you will need, say, Russian T-34/85 or a U.S. Pershing or 5 U.S. Shermans to handle the WWII Germans. Of course, this sort of thing goes on, and on, an on... ;)

Depending on how much battle action goes on and how old your kids are, your HengLong tanks may need some beefing up and repairs. There's lots of information here on RCTW, and all kinds folks eager to answer. My own tanks are mostly "shelf queens" that get an occasional run on the floor, so modifications are minimal. I enjoy the painting and adding crew figures, stowage, and other vintage paraphernalia, from a "Gulaschkanone" I just got, to the ubiquitous cooler full of beer :O on an Abrams.

An airbrush is a good idea when you get to 1/16 scale, although, in violation of all modeling machismo, I still use some spray cans along with a fifty-year-old "single action" airbrush and a newer "double action" one. Start with something you feel comfortable handling, as even a "single action" brush can work well in 1/16 scale. Ask any questions you like.

And if you liked painting 1/72 figures, try a 1/16 figure (beyond the rather ghastly ones that come in the HengLong tanks, although they are good for practicing and you can make 'em look better).

Yeesh, I have gone on a bit: I can type faster than I can think. :haha:
On the subject of figures I have actually painted 6 tamiya 1/16 scale WW2 figures when I was younger that I still have. They just need a wash to make them less clean looking.
And yes they are definitely better than the attached Torro figure I spotted in eBay! I think this is criminal based on how expensive the kit is lol

The tanks will be used but not abused so I will be doing practical upgrades and also cosmetic.Image

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk
NAB
Corporal

Post by NAB »

Oh and yes I have got my eye on a Pershing but also I really want a tiger 1, and a Sherman, and a Challenger 2.... Also I have seen a nice stug and don't forget the Panzer III and panther..... I think I need a torch because I'm well and truly down the rabbit hole lol.

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

NAB wrote:Oh and yes I have got my eye on a Pershing
Which one :haha: :haha: :haha:
66d9fcfbc74040f5f159ba2b0d1f6d66.jpg
66d9fcfbc74040f5f159ba2b0d1f6d66.jpg (23.3 KiB) Viewed 976 times
Hello and welcome to the forum NAB :wave:
And welcome to the addiction that is RC Tanks.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Hmm…. Howsabout pics of your 1/16 aTamiya figures..? (Tamiya didn’t even exist when I was young.)
NAB
Corporal

Post by NAB »

Yeah I can do later. I wanted some advice on how to wether them anyway

Return to “Introduce Yourself”