Oil Paint for Tamiya-like model kits

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
MedalofHonor2
Recruit

Oil Paint for Tamiya-like model kits

Post by MedalofHonor2 »

Hello all,
I bought a revell Panzer IV ausf. H a while ago and I am starting to put it together. I have some oil paints that I used to try painting bob ross paintings and I was wondering if those would work on plastic kits as well. I think they are meant for canvas but I think I could use some thinner and put them on the tank. Would that work on it? I don't want to ruin my model.
Support me on war thunder: http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r ... _116099362
To-Do
Wright Continental R-975
Ford GAA V-8
Chrysler A57 Multibank
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Oil Paint for Tamiya-like model kits

Post by jarndice »

There is a very helpful guide on U-Tube that shows how to best paint Plastic Kits using oils,
I really would start there If I were you :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Oil paints are great for washes but not so much for painting the models. But if you insist:
phpBB [video]
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi.
Unless you are an expert in using oil paints....i would very much advise against any type of oil painting plastic models, there is so so much damage you can do with terrible paint results, ok for washes weathering in skilled hands as mentioned previously.

Please see about using Acrylic water based paints, prefferably with an airbrush.
Regards.
Sub.
MedalofHonor2
Recruit

Post by MedalofHonor2 »

As Kaczor pointed out, I'm only going to use oil paint for the washes and finer details. I have some hobby-grade acrylics for the base paint and I'm a good hand at spray painting.
Support me on war thunder: http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r ... _116099362
To-Do
Wright Continental R-975
Ford GAA V-8
Chrysler A57 Multibank
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi.
:thumbup: :thumbup: .
Just for info
That information would have been useful in your original post, as you would have got a more accurate response to your original question.
:crazy:
I look forward to your painting results.
Regards.
Sub.

Return to “General Questions”