Unspeakable Acts on an unsuspecting Sherman...

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Rob1970
Corporal

Re: Unspeakable Acts on an unsuspecting Sherman...

Post by Rob1970 »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:I think I've overused that one :think:
There's actually a Dutch model shop that also has a modeling forum, that will (for one order on your account and for a small fee) add a Hallmark cart to your order that says "Congratulations on winning our yearly raffle!"...
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
Under construction; Sherman Firefly IC - M3 Grant - Sherman BARV
... No, I do not have a problem....
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

@) That is devious, sick, demented--and an absolutely brilliant idea. I was raised Roman Catholic: imagine the scenario: "Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. I ordered a new RC tank and had that evil Hallmark Card added to the shipment." :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Hmmm, I'll save that idea for a rainy day, and work out who'd willingly do that :think:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Hmmm, I'll save that idea for a rainy day, and work out who'd willingly do that :think:
Weeeeellll.... for a small fee... ;D
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Rob1970 wrote:
Son of a gun-ner wrote:Hmmm, I'll save that idea for a rainy day, and work out who'd willingly do that :think:
Weeeeellll.... for a small fee... ;D
Weeeeellll, you're not selling what I need :P :haha: :haha:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

Great work Rob!!!! I am enjoying this! 8)
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

Jnewboy wrote:Great work Rob!!!! I am enjoying this! 8)
Glad I am enjoyable... ;D

Some more progress today;

Temporarily attached the top back to the bottom for alignment, don't want the new glacis to go on crooked. And yes, masking tape is a valid method of tank construction... Ask the Japanese...

Made a new oversized glacis from 2.4mm thick ABS sheet, and beefed up the side edges with another strip of 2.4mm. Now comes the "fun" bit...

I have to get the bottom edge at just the right angle for a good solid weld. So I need to find my shooting board, or make a new one. But that's tomorrow...

To Be Continued...

TTFN,
Rob
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

great built Rob, I can learn a lot from it (about Hallmark cards etc....)
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

Well... I got my angle at the bottom right. Took me a while...

...only to find out I overestimated the thickness I needed and I had to file away a groove at the sides. But after that, it fit perfectly.

Next was filling in the hole on the top of the deck. Clever things were done with cardboard and markers and whatnot for the exact shape and size of the first layer...

...and more clever things were done with strips of ABS and goop. When this is all dry, I will make another layer for the top of 0.5mm ABS sheet, and that layer will be so tight it will hide all the gaps.

To Be Continued...

TTFN,
Rob
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

Aaaaand we're slogging on...

This morning added the last layer to the fill-in piece for the top of the hull. Carefully made a sheet of 0.5mm ABS to fit (almost) perfectly, and glued it in with a combination of MEK and ABS slurry, so the slurry could fill the last tiny gaps that were there. Also brushed slurry along the ring to blend it in. And now I hear you asking; "And slurry is..?" Slurry is thin-downed goop. And if you don't know goop, you don't know life...

Tonight the slurry had gone off enough to do the sanding. Slurry, like goop, can't be rushed. If you sand it while it's still "hot" you make a mess. No seams, just how I like it. This morning I also used goop to fill a few minor gaps, and they came out awesome too.

Next up on this build? Well, right now it's a race between Shapeways and work on the hull, or Forgebear and work on the turret. Got parts in production with Shapeways which should ship Friday, and arrive Saturday. The stuff from Forgebear has been "pending for Customs inspection" since the 16th...

Also have some stuff to do on the Sherman 105 hull... which needs Forgebear parts from the same shipment...

FML...

To Be Continued...

TTFN,
Rob

Return to “Heng Long Builds”