Non-historically accurate tank builds?

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Re: Non-historically accurate tank builds?

Post by sassgrunt »

Several decades ago when I was still young and impressionable, I remember a t-shirt that showed a side view of a Panther tank (as I remember it), that was raked forward and fitted with some manufacturer's brand of chromed rims. I always thought they might Centerline rims, but after searching several times for the image; I never could find it.

There are the small Military Muscle Machines diecast vehicles that would be a good inspiration for a larger build...
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

Well, it is your tank so you can do with it what you want. Would be cool to see your creativity
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
r32
Lance Corporal

Post by r32 »

I personally think it is futile to worry too much about historical accuracy.

Just keep in mind that even if you *could* obtain enough reference material and have the skills to model it to the smallest detail, it would only be a snapshot of your subject at a very specific moment in time - it would have less damaged skirting a month before, and days after the photographs were taken, the crew may have been changed and the stowage layout could be different.

As some guys have said - do it up how you like it, although personally I have always found "1946" implausible due to where the front lines were in May 1945, although the notion of a lone heavy tank heroically standing against the Slavic hordes with unlimited supplies of ammunition and fuel might make for a good Hollywood yarn.

By User:W. B. Wilson - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Allie ... y_1945.png, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... d=13165396

phpBB [video]
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Heck yes “1946” is implausible. That’s what makes it so cool for what-if fantasy builds. Releases some creative juices. For example some wonder weapon could’ve caused some last minute push back on both fronts to the point of creating a whole new situation. Anyway, we’re just playing with toys. Cool map and video.
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

r32 wrote:As some guys have said - do it up how you like it, although personally I have always found "1946" implausible due to where the front lines were in May 1945, although the notion of a lone heavy tank heroically standing against the Slavic hordes with unlimited supplies of ammunition and fuel might make for a good Hollywood yarn.
Arthur Harris would've glassed Berlin if the Führer hadn't ragequit. :haha:
bomberharris.jpg
bomberharris.jpg (38.9 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If the Manhattan Project had not been so slow or the advance of the Soviet army so swift Berlin would have been the first recipient of an Atom bomb,
It was certainly always scheduled to be the first primary target,
It is doubtful that the project would ever have received the massive funding that it did if an obscure Japanese city in the south of that country far from the capital was first proposed as the original epicentre.
It would be interesting as to what aircraft type would have been used to deliver the atom bomb to Berlin,
The B29 was almost never seen in the ETOs and neither the B17 or B24 could carry it which pretty well ensures the Avro Lancaster would have been given the assignment BUT who would have crewed it, American fliers or British Empire airmen :think: :think:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
r32
Lance Corporal

Post by r32 »

I've sometimes wondered why the Third Reich didn't bring back the use of gas out of sheer desperation. They showed they had little scruples in everything else - yes, I know the story that Hitler himself was gassed and thus resisted the use of it. Nevertheless, it could have given the Allies a nasty shock after the first few deployments that they needed to pause to consolidate while gas masks were brought up and issued to the front. Their V-1 and V-2 rockets could have also delivered more gas, and possibly bio-weapons arising from their experiments in the concentration camps - those didn't manage to come into fruition either.

These could have bought them a little more time, but with much of their key infrastructure (manufacturing of ammunition and weapons, food, fuel, raw materials and manpower) being in enemy hands, in my opinion they passed the point of no return sometime in 1944. There were a number of brilliant ideas that eventually got appropriated by the victors - the swept wing, the nightfighting equipment, the V-series rocket, etc. that leads a daydream, but the fact of the matter is that none of those, with the aforementioned limitations, would have been scalable to mass-production.
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Possibly there were still people who didn't want that.
There is no known case where the German military leadership has considered the use of gas.
The ban on the use of poisonous, chemical and biological weapons has been respected.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

jarndice wrote:It would be interesting as to what aircraft type would have been used to deliver the atom bomb to Berlin,
The B29 was almost never seen in the ETOs and neither the B17 or B24 could carry it which pretty well ensures the Avro Lancaster would have been given the assignment BUT who would have crewed it, American fliers or British Empire airmen :think: :think:
We had a few very hush hush top secret black Lancaster's with no identification markings solely for the purpose of dropping the A Bombs, because, although they would have struggled taking off with the payload, and weren't able to achieve the same altitude, and were slower than the B29's, they were on standby with British crews, in case the Americans couldn't sort their undersized bomb doors.
Therefore, it is feasible that the Lancaster could have been used to drop one on Berlin, even though the crews would have more than likely perished themselves because of the unlikely ability to outrun the shockwave.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Have a video on the subject.

Watch "Hiroshima 1945 - The British Atomic Attack" on YouTube
phpBB [video]
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “General Discussion”