If this is the future, my hobby ends here. :(

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Re: If this is the future, my hobby ends here. :(

Post by jhamm »

According to a communication from 2016, the European Commission is assuming 150 million parcels that are imported into the EU every year without VAT.
She not only sees the tax exemption system as susceptible to massive fraud and abuse, but also cites considerable distortions of competition to the detriment of companies in the EU as the reason for the pending change.
There is no such exemption limit for traders based in the EU. Regardless of the price, you have to pay the corresponding VAT on goods sold. This puts them at a disadvantage compared to their competitors from third countries and in view of the exemption limit that still applies to them.
In addition, the European Commission points out that import documents for high-quality goods such as smartphones would often contain too low values ??or incorrect descriptions of goods in order to qualify for VAT exemption.

The only new thing is that now all goods have to be checked at customs.
For goods over € 150, customs duties are added to the import sales tax.
In Brussels the gentlemen are not stupid, it was just a matter of time.
Whining won't change that.
Time for a second job ...
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

Rad_Schuhart wrote: Yep, that image was pretty clear to me, but still:
Why do the post charge me a VAT, if I am paying it now in aliexpress?
That is sick.
Because the Chinese seller probably is not registered with the European IOSS system (VAT taxpayer) in the EU and did not include the (required for each package) VAT code on the customs declaration / bill of lading (AWB). If you paid VAT during the purchase - try and send screenshots of the transaction to the customs office (in Austria - am I right?) And thus try to recover VAT. But without the confirmation code for registering the seller as a VAT taxpayer in the EU (IOSS system) your chances are slim.
Anyway, VAT shouldn't be your biggest problem in this case ... it's only 1.20. And you will not get back the 5 EURO customs duty anyway. This fee is independent of the new VAT regulations.
Rad_Schuhart wrote: Why if I already paid the VAT not only once, but twice, they charge me another extra 5 euros for import tariff?
Import tariff's it's not the same as VAT... VAT it's a TAX tax charged on goods and services , Import tarriff it's a is the customs duty (charged on the import of goods).
Rad_Schuhart wrote: For sure they will discourage the individual imports, but that is the thing, what we do now? I have a hobbyshop nearby: For the same servos I buy for 60 cents, they charge me 18 euros. Now, the shop, who of course buys in china, is going to have to pay more and will rise the prices too. So nope, no alternative it seems. And I am now just talking about the hobby, but I buy everything but food in aliexpress, so this causes a serious issue to me.
Yup. But try to think about it in a different way: I quote you: "but I buy everything but food in aliexpress" ... In this way, we only help the clever and low-priced Chinese to get rich. It's nice to buy cheap, but shipping from China to Europe = 0 (1-2) EURO? Really? I have been selling abroad for years and there is no way I can afford to send anything to a customer in France, UK, US or Canada for free or below cost. It is economically impossible. Only China can afford it ... I am as disappointed as you are that the era of cheap shopping in China is ending, but if it were to continue - in a few years it would not be profitable to produce anything in Europe - we would become one huge importer dependent on China. I wonder how many of us would have any job then ...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

jhamm wrote:According to a communication from 2016, the European Commission is assuming 150 million parcels that are imported into the EU every year without VAT.
She not only sees the tax exemption system as susceptible to massive fraud and abuse, but also cites considerable distortions of competition to the detriment of companies in the EU as the reason for the pending change.
There is no such exemption limit for traders based in the EU. Regardless of the price, you have to pay the corresponding VAT on goods sold. This puts them at a disadvantage compared to their competitors from third countries and in view of the exemption limit that still applies to them.
In addition, the European Commission points out that import documents for high-quality goods such as smartphones would often contain too low values ??or incorrect descriptions of goods in order to qualify for VAT exemption.

The only new thing is that now all goods have to be checked at customs.
For goods over € 150, customs duties are added to the import sales tax.
In Brussels the gentlemen are not stupid, it was just a matter of time.
Whining won't change that.
Time for a second job ...
The 27 member countries in the EU in their arrogance appear to presuppose that the EU and it's Taxation system is universally fair and acceptable,
Well someone needs to tell the EU that many of the other 173 countries in the UN hold a different view and some of those country's believe that free trade is the way forward for the marketplace and that taxing everything imported no matter what its initial value at a rate that is patently obviously a restrictive practice should be outlawed.
99% of all industry anywhere in the World started off as a tiny one man operation and by operating free of punitive taxation because of the small size of the company grew into an operation where they could employ people and contribute to the tax pool BUT this short sighted restrictive practice is just going to kill small businesses.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

I think you'll find that sales tax / VAT is far more universal than just 27 EU countries:
https://merchantmachine.co.uk/sales-tax-vat/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value-add ... th_VAT.svg

You should not confuse 'Free Trade' with VAT/sales tax - they are not the same thing.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Tiger6 wrote:I think you'll find that sales tax / VAT is far more universal than just 27 EU countries:
https://merchantmachine.co.uk/sales-tax-vat/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value-add ... th_VAT.svg

You should not confuse 'Free Trade' with VAT/sales tax - they are not the same thing.
Indeed but when I am dealing with a country that imposes such restrictions on its citizens I can tell the dealer that I am not eligible and VAT is then removed,
The EU appears to be trying to make it universal even though a customer is outside of the EU's jurisdiction.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Did you know ?
News from July 1, 2021, 6:19 p.m.
130 countries agree on a global minimum tax
Globally active corporations have to adjust to stricter taxation.
130 countries agreed on a comprehensive tax reform on Thursday. Among other things,
this provides for companies worldwide to be taxed at a minimum rate of 15 percent.

What do you think, who pays this 15% in the end?
I think it's the same as always, we - the consumers - pay for it.
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Yes, everyone worries that cheap Chinese crap won't be so cheap anymore but the european welfare states won't finance itself without tax revenues. ;)
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Kaczor wrote:Yes, everyone worries that cheap Chinese crap won't be so cheap anymore but the european welfare states won't finance itself without tax revenues. ;)
that's the way it is
And after the Covid pandemic it will continue - someone has to pay for it ...
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

jarndice wrote:The EU appears to be trying to make it universal even though a customer is outside of the EU's jurisdiction.
If you buy something in Europe, you will not pay Europe's VAT, you pay the UK rate. The UK Govt at the start of the year forced European retailers wishing to sell into the UK to register for UK VAT, and collect it at the point of sale (unless the amount is over the import duty threshold, in which case the whole lot + handling fee is collected from you at the point of delivery).
r32
Lance Corporal

Post by r32 »

I hope you can see this from a less binary decision either you’re in the hobby or you’re out, it’s painful to own less tanks or save longer, but when there’s a will there’s a way.

I started the hobby not being able to afford a modern tank (the only one was Tamiya’s 2A6) to having three currently, ten years down the road. Right place and right time.

Also, if you switch hobbies, unless it’s gardening, you’re likely going to come up with taxation if it involves purchasing from overseas.

So just pace yourself and take it easy…

Return to “General Discussion”