Dingo Scout Car

Armoured cars, the link between tanks and civilian cars, post your static models here!
Barrel808
Recruit

Dingo Scout Car

Post by Barrel808 »

Hello, I am new to this forum.
So I found this Daimler Scout Car, made from wood and bought it from a reseller.
I was hoping that it would be 1/6 scale but it's a bit smaller possibly 1/7 or 1/8, it's hard to tell.
It's about 43 cm long and 20 cm in height.
It is very nicely made and detailed.
No history or maker known.
It had some broken parts which I need to fix, but also I need to complete it with bren-gun and antenna and stuff like that.
Can anyone help me out with recommendations ?

Regards, Barry
Attachments
4.jpeg
3.jpeg
2.jpeg
1.jpeg
Last edited by Barrel808 on Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marco Peter
Sergeant

Re: Dingo Scout Car

Post by Marco Peter »

It looks very nice, almost can't believe that's wood!
Barrel808 wrote:I was hoping that it would be 1/6 scale but it's a bit smaller possibly 1/5 or 1/4, it's hard to tell.
That would actually make it larger, I think you mean 1/7 or 1/8 scale then?
1:16 was my scale. Until 'Konan' came into my life... an Armortek 1:6 Tiger 1!
... Now followed by a Panther G, 'Gunther'!

I'm a happy man. 8)
Barrel808
Recruit

Post by Barrel808 »

It's smaller then 1/6 because I tried to fit in a 1/6 Dragon model, way to big....
At this moment I am repairing some damaged parts
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Looks to be hand made, unique and likely quite old. First, I suggest you look at the Dingo specs and dimensions on Wikipedia and then try to compare with your model to determine the exact scale.
Barrel808
Recruit

Post by Barrel808 »

the real dingo is 3,28, and the model is 43, so it comes around 1/7 ...
the sten-gun and rifle included are also made from wood. whoever made this took it serious.
A bren-gun is missing but I think 1/6 is much to big to be authentic
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I see that it has Desert Rats (7th Armoured Division) markings, and is impressively put together. :thumbup: It's almost sad that the maker is unknown, given the craftsmanship that went into making it. :problem:
I guess, going by its appearance, it's meant to replicate a desert reconnaissance Dingo.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

A few observation's First I do wish the instigator of this thread had gone through the normal introductory process because I am none the wiser now than I was before as to the location or experience of this person and my brief experience of the Dingo (Around the Bovington Tank Park many years ago) left me with a memory of a vehicle with a firmer suspension than a Kawasaki ZXR 750 H, A steering wheel that made it extremely difficult to maneuver,(I was assured that one gets used to it) A very limited external view except directly forwards and an ankle breaking Pre-Select Gearbox, And very much a fair weather vehicle with no roof and no heater.My trust pilot rating is -1 :thumbdown:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

oh, 1/7 scale. There is nothing available at that scale.

I think your best option is to fit in a Dragon 1/6 Bren gun. You can try to reduce the overall size a bit by reducing the length of the barrel and wood stock by a few mm each if you want. But i think you could use it as is.
1/6 bren gun
1/6 bren gun
But if you want to restore it in its original style, look and feel, and maybe keep its collector value, you will need to create the missing items in wood and blend them in.
Barrel808
Recruit

Post by Barrel808 »

You're probably right....... that's a tough job but it will make it worthwhile ..
Thanks all for your feedback !
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

This is rather cool :thumbup:

Going on the length, it's 1/7.4th scale, going on the height, it's 1/7.5th scale.

Taking your average scale at 1/7.45, a 6 foot (183cm) figure in 1/8th scale is 9 inches (23cm), around 5 foot 7 inches (170cm) in your scale. Sadly figures in this scale aren't readily available.

There are however British modern HM armed forces figures in 1/7th scale, 10 inches tall. Italy also used to sell the same sized figures under a different name. Sadly their weapons are modern. They would come out at 6 foot 2.5 inches (189cm) tall in your scale.

As for correct scale weapons, many 3D printers, even those on shapeways are willing to re-scale their products. It may be worth contacting a few that have the files of the weapons you require.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “Armoured Cars”