Loads Of Questions From A Newbie

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Loads Of Questions From A Newbie

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"I can then swap the electronics from the HL into the Taigens hull and use the KT plastic deck and add whatever KT “bits”, which come with the model to the hull?" I suspect that the choice of the most recent HengLong electronics and the most recent Taigen electronics is a matter of personal preference. If I were in your situation, I would start with a top-of-the line Taigen with V3 electronics, including the sound module. This route is expensive, but less expensive than switching out this and that. You will have a good tank right at the git-go. That's my two cents, zwei pfennig, tuppence worth.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

A good plan BUT do make sure that the control board in the Heng Long Tjger 2 is a version 6.0 or better because the 5.3 control board and lower are most disappointing and the less than totally honest dealers will try to sell you a brand new OLD STOCK Tank.
I would not touch an old stock Heng Long/Taigen/Torro Tank and neither should you.
The packaging will have Version 6.0 printed on the outside.
As too whether you buy a "Pro" or not, Bearing in mind that you are only using the Heng Long Tank body and the Turret if most or all of the "Pro" parts are in or part of the plastic hull then you may be wasting your money unless the Taigen Metal hull can use those pro parts.
You hardly need to waste money by duplicating parts.
So study what the Taigen metal hull offers which should certainly include a torsion bar suspension and a floor and hopefully a decent pair of Taigen Gearboxes then check to see what the Heng Long Pro offers, after that do check to see what differences there are between the Heng Long PRO and the rest of the Heng Long Tiger 2 range before parting with your hard earned.
Certainly you can as the Herr Doktor suggests buy a Taigen V3 board and sound card and transmitter but as the Heng Long Tiger 2 comes with a Version 6.0 control board as standard you are buying a second control board which in my humble opinion is not as good as a duplicate.
Last edited by jarndice on Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

You’re on the right track! My Tiger 1 has the Taigen metal hull and complete metal running components with Heng Long sprockets and Mato tracks. The upper deck is plastic Heng Long because of the molded on tool issue. The Turret is a Taigen with metal barrel. Everything else is totally aftermarket stuff but it’s a fun journey. Just start with a solid foundation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I now see that you are getting a confusing array of advice. In my opinion, it's all good advice! That's right: it comes down to personal preference. No matter what you choose, you will have challenges and fun-fun-fun (until daddy takes the T-Bird away). :D
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

Be careful of what you buy all heng long 6.0 tanks are BB + IR this means they will battle with each other via their infra red battle system but also fire BB's this wont give you barrel recoil or barrel flash and given the way the heng long king tiger henschel turret pivots at the mantle and not the bb unit makes it very difficult to convert to barrel recoil.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Torro and Taigen are like for like. Heng Long is the odd one out.
T and T both have a part metal chassis/tub/lower hull. None of their tanks are ALL metal. They will come with a plastic top hull, and turret that has a mostly metal main body, also they should have steel drive gears and all metal running gear, tracks, sprockets, idlers, road wheels and suspension arms. In my opinion, they are the better value for a complete tank.

H L only has a plastic chassis/tub/lower hull which needs reinforcing. The pro versions come with metal gearboxes with zinc alloy gears, which are no better than nylon gears. They also have the metal tracks, sprockets and idlers, nothing else metal. You can purchase steel gearboxes, metal road wheels and suspension arms to fit the Heng Long plastic chassis, but the chassis really isn't up to the loading. I personally think having/purchasing all metal running gear for Heng Long is throwing money away unless you're able to strengthen and modify the tub. Also you would need to modify the tub to add a good quality idler adjuster, which is essential.

If you were to purchase a Taigen or Torro chassis for the Heng Long, you would also need to purchase a pair of steel gear boxes, metal tracks, sprockets, idlers, and road wheels on top. Those chassis already have suspension arms attached to the chassis via the torsion suspension. Also I do believe the chassis comes with an idler adjuster.
This all adds up cost wise, and would work out more expensive that a complete Torro or Taigen tank.

As for the electronics. It would appear that the latest H L has the edge over T and T with functionality. Although, the Taigen V3 (not sure if this board is in the Torro?) Can be linked/bound to a hobby grade/aftermarket controller, giving more useful control.
Also, depending on your budget, there are aftermarket boards which in my opinion are worth considering if the budget allows.

As has been mentioned, H L doesn't give barrel recoil, where as T and T do for their IR tanks. Now that is down to your personal choice, would you want realism, or shoot BB's.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

Thank you so much for all the info etc. It’s very much appreciated.
I have this afternoon taken the plunge on a Torro King Tiger from Forgebear. I went for the unpainted metal version so I can detail it myself and I thought that £150 for a paint job and a wooden crate was stretching my funds too much at this stage. I have an airbrush and tons of acrylics, so I should be able to do a decent job of painting the beastie when that time comes.
‘Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes’ - Oscar Wilde
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Excellent :thumbup:
You'll need a good non ferrous etching primer for your metal parts.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Excellent :thumbup:
You'll need a good non ferrous etching primer for your metal parts.
Aha. Good point. Thank you. That’ll go on my shopping list.
‘Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes’ - Oscar Wilde
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

And don't forget the Isopropanol (Acrylic Thinners) to clean the vehicle before paint,
I don't know if you know but all German military vehicles between 1939 and 1945 used Red Oxide as a primer, Any garage accessory store will sell you a large rattle can of the stuff which is enough for at least 2 tanks for less than £10.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “General Questions”