320 Degree Turret Rotation Ring

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Topper
Corporal

320 Degree Turret Rotation Ring

Post by Topper »

Hello
I would like to fit a 360 Degree Turret Rotation Ring to my Taigen Panther G, will a Heng long part fit?

Thanks in advance
Frank
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: 320 Degree Turret Rotation Ring

Post by Jimster »

I can’t answer that but I’ve seen some folks file extra teeth in their plastic ring to make it 360 degrees.
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

The toothed ring will fit but if you want to use it with a slip ring for the wires you will need the taigen version
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

There are 2 standard sizes of Turret ring,
They are a universal fit across all 1/16 Armour
medium size for the Sherman/Panzer 111/4 /Panther and Tiger 1 and large for the Abrams/Challenger.
If you fit a 360 Turret ring or convert a 320 to a 360 you will need a Slip ring otherwise the wires in the Turret will be torn out when you go over 360,
Taigen sell a 360 Degree Turret KIt which includes all the instructions as well as a 360 Turret ring and slip ring and everything else that you will need,
There are 2 types a M/G BB kit and an I/R kit. Dave @ http://www.forgebeartanks.com, certainly used to sell the kit as did Dom @ http://www.rctank.de/
I would not recommend buying a seperate slip ring and a Turret ring as you will be left to fit the Plugs and work out where all the wires go.
Whereas the Taigen kit is ready to go.
If you decide to convert an existing Turret ring you will need to cut a slot for the Slip ring and the Metal turret rings are a pain to convert :thumbdown:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Jimster wrote:I can’t answer that but I’ve seen some folks file extra teeth in their plastic ring to make it 360 degrees.
I typically go this route since I have multiples of each type. I lay them on top of each other and use the one on top as a template to cut teeth into the stopper.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

tankme wrote:
Jimster wrote:I can’t answer that but I’ve seen some folks file extra teeth in their plastic ring to make it 360 degrees.
I typically go this route since I have multiples of each type. I lay them on top of each other and use the one on top as a template to cut teeth into the stopper.
That's what I do too. Lay one on top and cut away. By the way 360 just means you can turn all the way around doesn't necessary mean you want 720 or 1080 or ........ :)
Topper
Corporal

Post by Topper »

Thank you gentlemen!!!
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

And make sure you anchor both ends of the wires as the slip rings tend not to slip all that well so you finish up with a tangled mess in the hull.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

RobW wrote:And make sure you anchor both ends of the wires as the slip rings tend not to slip all that well so you finish up with a tangled mess in the hull.
Highly recommended! :thumbup:
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

Another option is to not sit and do continuous 360's in your tank. My KV-1 has a 360 turret ring, but w/o the slipring. Let my son drive it and he just pulled out all the wires to the turret because he just turning it continuously right for 4 minutes of rotations... I usually have enough slack to allow for 1080 or so, but not 3600+.

Return to “General Questions”