Sherman Firefly VC Documentation

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
MedalofHonor2
Recruit

Sherman Firefly VC Documentation

Post by MedalofHonor2 »

Good day all,
I have been trying to find some good technical manuals of the Firefly VC tank for some custom tank work. Does anyone have a pdf or a link to a good one on eBay or Amazon?
Support me on war thunder: http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r ... _116099362
To-Do
Wright Continental R-975
Ford GAA V-8
Chrysler A57 Multibank
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Sherman Firefly VC Documentation

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

To the best of my knowledge, many of the British M4 tanks were M4A4, that is, powered by the Chrysler A57 engine, a multi-bank monster. These were five Chrysler C-35, 6-cylinder engines set in a half circle: one straight up; two more, one on either side, each set at about 45 degrees; and yet two more on either side set at 90 degrees, horizontally opposed. There is a fine chapter on this engine in the very recently released:

Doyle, David. Sherman Tank, Vol. 5: The M4A4 "British" Sherman in World War II. Legends of [Ground] Warfare. Schiffer Military, 2021. ISBN 978-0-7643-6164-7.

Perhaps you could also do an online search for information on both the Chrysler A57 and the Chrysler C-35 and work from there. Thirty cylinders, sixty valves, all designed and built in the late 1930s and early '40s. What a maintenance challenge. :/
MedalofHonor2
Recruit

Re: Sherman Firefly VC Documentation

Post by MedalofHonor2 »

I found plenty of manuals on the a57 multibank on The Sherman Tank Website, but I want to know more on how the british modified the turret of the M4A4 for the 17 pounder. I have read a lot on the big chrysler engine, and it is going to be a real challenge to make a scale working model of it.
Support me on war thunder: http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r ... _116099362
To-Do
Wright Continental R-975
Ford GAA V-8
Chrysler A57 Multibank

Return to “General Discussion”