Painting a Tiger 1

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Valkja
Recruit

Painting a Tiger 1

Post by Valkja »

I have now completed my tiger1 and would like to paint it but have no idea where to start including camouflage scheme to use. The tiger is the early type and I have replaced most plastic parts. The barrel is recoil and except for the mantlet and muzzle is plastic, so how do I paint this? I have looked at utube but cannot find any real help. All the photos I look at are black and white so no help there, do I Bruch paint or hand paint do I spray the model with undercoat first? Are there people out there that can do paint jobs? Any help would be appreciated.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Painting a Tiger 1

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

In your introduction, you wrote that you were "a very keen modeller before joining the forces all those years ago." If we have a better idea of your experience with painting models, I and others should be able to provide help that can be helpful to you. For example, here are some questions that might help us get useful information to you.

Do you have experience with an airbrush?
Do you use spray cans?
Are you interested in books about the Tiger I that include color profiles of camouflage?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The very first thing you must do is using a lint free cloth clean your Tank completely using Acrylic thinners (Isopropanol),(Avoid Tamiyas Acrylic Thinners because it is grossly overpriced )
NEXT, If you have any metal parts they will need painting with Metal Primer or the paint will not "take",
Your Tiger obviously being a WW2 German Vehicle will have been sprayed with a Red Oxide Primer so that should be your next job, (Automobile Accessory Shops are a good source of large sized Red Oxide Primer Rattle cans that will do a very good job for very little money),
Top coats can be painted with an Enamel finish but a water based acrylic top coat using either brush, rattle can or airbrush has the advantage of being relatively easy to remove and be repainted with a different camo style if you decide to update your Tank.
After that it is all about research,
Where did your Tiger serve ? Western Europe, Eastern Europe, North Africa/Southern Italy,
A Different camo scheme was used in each of these combat zones and within each zone different varieties of shades were used and in the winter in Eastern Europe an overall white with grey smudges were the order of the day,
It should be remembered that new and repaired German Armour was usually delivered from the factory in a Primer finish and forward workshops applied the topcoat,
This was not always the case and some Tanks were delivered complete with an applied top coat,
After issue to a crew they would load their Tank with Paint Blocks in different colours and if it was winter a bag of distemper as well as rags and using a combination of petrol, water, rags and the Tanks broom and Bucket would repaint the Tank as and when needed,
Bearing in mind how the Paint was applied at best it was crude and more often than not downright awful so unless your Tiger Is going to be a shelf queen you can be pretty basic and still be accurate :lolno:
When that is done your thoughts will turn to the Tanks markings,
The real thing did not use Decals they used Stencils, (Much easier to apply over Zimmerit)
Our own Rad Schuhart will makeup a set to your specification or supply stock Stencils for very little money, BUT whatever you do DO NOT USE THE SUPPLIED HENG LONG /TAIGEN/TORRO Decals they are quite simply CR*P :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I will echo jarndice’s excellent advice and I will emphasize research research research. Avoid the mistake of painting it grey unless it’s one of the first 20 or so Tigers ever built. It’s a very common mistake I see all the time. Drives me nuts.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Using an acrylic paint of most good brands will work. TAMIYA have the better version in my opinion but it’s not very brush—friendly. Other brands may be more suited to brush painting, members might chime in here for added guidance.
Best results are by airbrush, but not everyone has the ability to get set up with one, so you can only do with what you have.
TAMIYA also have spray cans , one being TS-3 which will work as a base colour over undercoat.
You could use very thinned red-brown, and olive green to make the camo pattern over that.
Then earthing with a wash .
Just put a light coat of Matt sealer over your paint before doing a wash ;)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Andy427sc
Recruit

Post by Andy427sc »

:'( Hi Guys...

I’m the newbie here and bought a Grey HL Tiger 1. Am admit it, and don’t I feel like a schlemiel...

So obviously... the Big Cat needs a paint job.... I’ve been looking at the Kraut camo and I’ve read some stuff, which doesn’t mean I’m an expert, as often a little knowledge is downright dangerous...

So I’d also appreciate any advice on what to do and what not to do...

So I have this HL Tiger 1. It’s grey. :'(
It has an early cupola which I’ve already changed the position of so the hatch is in the right place.
I know the turret isn’t exactly correct as early Tigers as I’ve read had two pistol ports so the escape hatch on the starboard side is wrong ....
It should have Zimmerit? I’ve just received a zimmerit set I ordered from Forgebear. (Really helpful)
Have some Peddinghaus water slide transfers from Germany because the HL peeled themselves off the day they were fitted... so yes, I realise now they’re not great... and now I realise the zimmerit if fitted will make them unusable... so would appreciate details of who to speak to about getting some stencils.

Sorry... it’s a lot I know...

I’d like it ETO 1944 summer, Normandie, preferably not as an Homage to SS Hauptsturmfuhrer Michael Wittmann.

All I seem to see on the web is SS Tigers. Did the Wehrmacht not have any and if they did did they use the same camo pattern as the SS?

If the did then I should start with a base red oxide and then lay a sand and green stripey pattern on top? I would be grateful for any suggested paint numbers/shades. For the green and sand colours.

Any tips or tricks to painting the wheels?

Or the Zimmerit which is rubbery and flexible...

Many Thanks and sorry for the barrage of questions but I want to do you guys justice and not look a prat should I post a piccy of my Tiger at some point. :{

Andy
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi, Tiger 1 Summer 44 eh,
Well here is a small list you might like to take note of (My Source is Alan Hanby's Tiger 1 information centre)
The binocular gunners sight in the Turret was altered in March 44 to a monocular sight,
The Loaders hatch on the turret roof was changed for one with shorter hinges,
The external travel lock was discontinued in February 44,
The turret ring guard was installed to remove the shot trap that caused Bovingtons 131 to be caught,
You appear to want to have a Tiger 1 early so I shall stay with that variant.
The front Sand/Snow shovel is removed and a larger (20 Tonne)Jack is fitted on the rear panel,
Feifel air cleaners are removed as is the pistol port,
Track tool box and "S" Mine dischargers are removed,
"C" Clamps are fitted onto the rear plate,
A Single central headlight was fitted between the Hull MG and the Driver.
Turret smoke dischargers were no longer installed but 5 Track holders with spare tracks are installed on the drivers side of the turret and 2 track holders with spare tracks are installed on the Other side of the Turret immediately in front of the Escape hatch,
I do not recommend Decals and the German Army did not except as warning placards inside the vehicle,
The use of Stencils was pretty much universal in most armies of the day with painted on slogans added by the crew,
I get my Stencils from our own Rad Schuhart who will make stencils to your own design or you can buy them off the shelf, either way they are top quality which of course you can apply over zimmerit unlike decals but I warn you, The guilt will follow you for days afterward because he grossly UNDERcharges for his workmanship :lolno:
Goto--- http://www.radindustries.wordpress.com
To see what he has available then talk to him he is the most helpful fellow you will ever meet :thumbup:
There are a number of good books on Tiger1/2 units both SS and Heer and I would suggest you settle down for a good read before thinking about paint and markings.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

My advice for anyone just starting out is to really think long and hard about going down this road, its a fun road, its a time consuming road and it can become an expensive road. If you are only wanting one tank to sit by its self and look great, drive it around a few times and call it good you may be better off paying someone to do it for you, and not spend the time learning or buying supplies.

If however you are doing it for the sake of the art, as a hobby, as one wanting to master the process and build up an amazing collection over decades then start slow, build 1/35 armor. You will see exactly what the details should be and it will give you lots of practice learning what to do and what not to do. Its much better to screw up a paint job on a $20 model vs a $200 RC tank. If you master finishing 1/35 armor 1/16 will be easy.

There is more education on modeling now than ever before, lots of it free on YouTube. Be sure to look into my Magic Grime product, it does shave considerable time and frustration off the process. I only wish I had had it as a boy starting out. Remember what I said at the start, its really not something that can be mastered in the first model or even the first 10. Getting an excellent result will take time and patience so don't beat yourself up or give up after your first attempt, after a few are under your belt you will have a new appreciation for the skill/art. Learn to enjoy the process! :thumbup:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Yes. His Magic Grime is good stuff. Really brings out some realism with little effort.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

And there’s nothing wrong with a grey Tiger as long as it’s one of the very first few produced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “General Discussion”