Me 1, Wife 0...um, I think?!?

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Me 1, Wife 0...um, I think?!?

Post by EAO »

Hello to all,
As some of you know I've been planning for a Panther G project for some time now, see: viewtopic.php?f=195&t=31674. Things have changed as of late and in my favor (this happens very seldomly)! My bicycle mechanic; a transplanted Brit., called out of the blue to ask if I would sell my bicycle to a Gent who rides all the "Rails to Trails" in the U.S. that he can. My mechanic mentioned to him that he had set my bike up specifically for the Katy Trail here in Missouri. We talked for a while and this Gentleman took my bike, bike carrier, all my riding gear, tools, etc.! It's OK, as my mechanic knew I was riding it very little since being spoiled by my Keiser stationary bike (and air conditioning and heat too). So it all went to North Carolina and will be doing the entire Louis and Clark Trail this Fall.

Since my sports car just got a tune up and full detail, and my tires won't be shot until the end of this year's driving season I'm set there too. There are no firearms on my list of wants either and I'm all set with ammo also. Regarding my collecting of militaria; I have lots of stuff needing to be mounted and displayed and nothing that is really screaming at me to buy it. So why not try something new and a little different?!

Firstly, I must say that regarding large scale RC armor, Armortek is the epitome. I actually like working with metal (wood not so much), and have most of the required tools as I'm always working on one of the ZTRs, the tractor etc. There is a certain lure to the idea of assembling it myself. What I don't have is spare time, as we own our own business free time is very limited. It probably would turn into a half finished project that would languish forever in my shop. I'm a bit of an oddball here as I want to play, but not build RC tanks. Also, the Armortek offerings are just too expensive, and incredibly heavy to boot.

So on to Mark Spencer and Mark-One-Tanks. Ever since getting into RC tanking about 2 years ago, the idea of a 1/6 scale tank has been in the back of my mind. I've done lots of research and contacted quite a few owner's of Mark's tanks to see what they've had to say about them, knowing that the Armortek offerings were probably not going to work for my lifestyle. I've been in contact with Mark for a while now, and just missed the chance to own a very lightly used, full option JP. So on to a Panther, I guess?! It was what I really wanted anyhow! :D

So I pulled the trigger and sent off the 50% deposit and have now commissioned a build, it will be 24 volt with the Benedini sound board. I went with the "full option" package and added the "high detail" package too. Basically, anything added to the hull would be a separate, add on part to get the most realism out of this tank. It will have side skirts, the "ambush" camo I was thinking about, extra road wheels, and the large, last model exhaust pipes if Mark can come up with something he's happy with. After much thought, I'll be forgoing the Zimmerit. I really like the look of it, but on Panthers it can kind of take away from their clean lines IMO. I also find that the later war Zimmerit patterns have a "uglier, hastily" applied look to them that is nowhere as nice as the work done on the Tiger 1's. I also won't have any animated crew members for it either. While I really like 1/16 scale figures, somehow the 1/6 scale figures seem so "wooden" to me?

My Wife has been pretty good about this (so far), as she's happy most of the first payment (Shhhh! :shh:) has come from the sale of my bike and associated gear. As stated in my other post, I've perfected holding my breath and stomping my feet in order to get what I want. I've also played up the "pity me" role very well too. Rammstein has rescheduled for the second time, so I won't be seeing them on my 54th birthday! I loath birthdays, and this was going to be the best one since turning legal drinking age! Oh well, at least they have rescheduled and not cancelled totally! But it has given me a chance to really up the "whoases me" approach. Sound childish? It is and so am I! :/ I've managed to dance around her other questions pretty well (like the final price tag, shipping weight etc. :silent: ). I do fear that upon delivery she may take her vengeance out on me...however, it will be too late by then, right?!? :lolno:

Jimster; if you are reading this, and I do suddenly disappear from this Forum with no explanation (around here it's usually referred to as "he's done gone missing"), do me a favor? Please look for my mortal remains. I'd start in Jeff City and drain or drag the lagoon (turtle food). If I'm not there, it's a sure bet I'm at the base of the cliffs below the cabin in NW Arkansas (look for the turkey vultures). Upon successfully locating me; I bequeath my entire RC collection to you, including the remains of my RC planes (I think that with a little TLC the Fokker D VII would fly again)! If you could also manage to split up a few things and get them over the "pond" to Jussek, Silversurfer1947, and of course Rad, that would truly be great. I owe these three Gent's for past favors granted (I think we all probably owe Rad; anyhow, right?!). :think:

At any rate, Mark is about 6 months out for a completion date. It'll make a very nice Christmas gift to myself. Well, I've blathered on long enough for now! :/ Shhh, here she comes...show no fear, act casual, nothing going on, yup, just getting ready to go to work dear! :shifty: :wtf:

I'm probably doomed!
Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Me 1, Wife 0...um, I think?!?

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

LOL, good on you, you're going to love it when you get it :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

My Armortek Panther is sitting in boxes awaiting a time when I have the required amount of spare time to actually assemble it... It was my 40-something present to myself.
Some people buy motorcycles, I bought a small tank :)

Congrats of being able to get into 1/6th scale and somehow appease SHE; who shall not be crossed.
EAO

Post by EAO »

Thanks Mick,

I knew there was a reason for my holding off on buying another 1/16 scale tank! I've been very impressed with Mark. Our phone call and email conversations have been great. Seems like a top notch guy! I have great confidence in him.

Cheers,
Eric.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
EAO

Post by EAO »

Jarlath wrote:My Armortek Panther is sitting in boxes awaiting a time when I have the required amount of spare time to actually assemble it... It was my 40-something present to myself.
Some people buy motorcycles, I bought a small tank :)

Congrats of being able to get into 1/6th scale and somehow appease SHE; who shall not be crossed.
Thank you Jarlath,

So you've met my Wife then!

Cheers,
Eric.

UP THE IRONS!
Marco Peter
Sergeant

Post by Marco Peter »

Congrats, FINALLY 1/6th scale haha!

Little warning: You can never move back to smaller...
1:16 was my scale. Until 'Konan' came into my life... an Armortek 1:6 Tiger 1!
... Now followed by a Panther G, 'Gunther'!

I'm a happy man. 8)
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Wow! I’m jealous but too old to handle a 1/6 scale beast. Great choice on the electronics. Can’t wait to see some amazing upcoming photos and video.
Be very careful my friend. So many places to hide remains in your neck of the woods but I’ll keep an eye on things for you. :think:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I have always aspired to owning a Mark one Tiger 1 but the space not the ire of my Lady is the non starter as far as I am concerned, at least the large scale r/c aircraft that I fly and build can by dint of removing the mainplane/s be easily stored.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

Congratulations, to be honest it sounds that your wife knows enough but choose to let you do your thing. Of course that will come with a price some day :D
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

I want a 1/6th firefly even more now :(
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “Larger Scale Military”