EBay and Paypal

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

EBay and Paypal

Post by General Jumbo01 »

As of today, eBay sellers will no longer be able to use PayPal. That's the big news. What the news seems to be missing is that EBay buyers, like you and me, can't pay with PayPal. Ouch!

Where's our free protection gone? Do we avoid EBay in protest? :(
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
jarndice
Colonel

Re: EBay and Paypal

Post by jarndice »

Are you quite sure you can't pay with Pay-Pal? I ask because earlier today the only difference was that Pay-Pal asked me to verify my account by tapping in a code number instead of just tapping "PAY".
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

General Jumbo01 wrote:As of today, eBay sellers will no longer be able to use PayPal. That's the big news. What the news seems to be missing is that EBay buyers, like you and me, can't pay with PayPal. Ouch!

Where's our free protection gone? Do we avoid EBay in protest? :(
This is not exactly true. eBay has just introduced the long-announced (at least from 2018) eBay Managed Payments payment service. According to eBay, this service is expected to simplify the purchasing process and reduce costs (they just forgot to mention that it is only about their costs). The buyer is to have a choice of several payment options: credit, debit, and gift cards; Apple Pay; Google Pay; PayPal, and PayPal Credit. The PayPal service is to be available until 2023 after which it will expire (eBay terminated the contract with PayPal a few years ago with the service expiration date in 2023). What does this mean for buyers? Theoretically more choice of payment options. I'm just curious about the buyer protection policy - with PayPal it was 180 days from the date of purchase. You can probably forget about such a long protection period when PayPal will be no longer available on eBay. As standard, eBay offers 45 days of protection = goodbye cheap/free shipments from China with delivery in 2-3 months ...
What in return for sellers? Obviously, higher costs = higher prices for buyers. As eBay introduces new additional fees for us (sellers) - to give us easier and faster access to our money ... bull $% it !!! My money from PayPal is on my bank account for less than 24 hours!

For the curious, the link below:
https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/se ... -ebay.html
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

As a seller you should also note the amount of information ebay is asking for. Reason for this? They are beginning to collect tax information on behalf of certain governments. some of you may have noticed that U.S. customers are now paying state taxes on purchases which they didn't before. I am sure it will not be long before they are feeding info to governments for tax purposes...
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
General Jumbo01

And just to prove a point...no, l just used Paypal to stock up on bearings from EBay. I still don't get it, or am l just being mislead by the press (again).
brizo58
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by brizo58 »

Hi all,
Yep I knew this was going to happen. So I’ve closed my eBay and PayPal accounts. Brian…
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

General Jumbo01 wrote:or am l just being mislead by the press (again).
I'm afraid so. Diarrhoea has more integrity than the press these days.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

General Jumbo01 wrote:And just to prove a point...no, l just used Paypal to stock up on bearings from EBay. I still don't get it, or am l just being mislead by the press (again).
Not all eBay sellers upgraded their seller account to the new rules. My consent to the new terms is required. I have time for it until June 18, and I'm going to wait until the last day to sell even under the old rules.
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

dgsselkirk wrote:As a seller you should also note the amount of information ebay is asking for. Reason for this? They are beginning to collect tax information on behalf of certain governments. some of you may have noticed that U.S. customers are now paying state taxes on purchases which they didn't before. I am sure it will not be long before they are feeding info to governments for tax purposes...
You're right. I know that. State taxes (in the US) are collected from the end of 2019. As a result, I lose an average of $ 1-3 per transaction because the eBay and PayPal commission is calculated on the amount with tax (gross) and I get the amount less tax and commission = they take me about 19% plus $ 1-3 !!! And what can I do to them? Here is the law of the stronger ...
The same is happening this year with sales to the UK. eBay collects VAT from the buyer and charges its commission on the gross price ... What a robbery !!!
General Jumbo01

So how does the UK seller differentiate when he does his annual tax returns? What a mess! Yes, this is al about EBay making money, not making it better for it's customers. Meteors, global warming, East/West silliness, pets being stolen, and now EBay. I feel a deep depression coming on..... :crazy:

Return to “General Discussion”