An-Bri-RC SU-85

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: An-Bri-RC SU-85

Post by Raminator »

Cheers for the kind words everyone, I appreciate it.

The surgery on the lower hull is all done, I've taken a notch out of the battery box to allow the airsoft gun to hang down into the belly and elevate (the stock nicad doesn't fit, but a lipo or liion will). I've also welded in sections of 5mm styrene rod to raise the roadwheels a bit closer to the correct line.
IMG20210506211202.jpg
I used diluted Tamiya putty to texture the front and rear plates so they match the rest of the vehicle, it'll tie them all together once they're the same colour.
IMG20210506211151.jpg
Now all I need are the driver's hatch and headlight. Whatever happened to the supposed vaunted German efficiency?
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (96.15 KiB) Viewed 2608 times
Once I've got the lower primed, it'll be time to reassemble the running gear and get the electronics installed, whether the headlight's there or not. It'll be easy enough to install after the fact.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Just so you know, in the last photo you show the tow couplings and, just above each one, two smaller 'fittings'. These should be fitted the other way up so the long ends just touch the main coupling. They stop the cable jumping off but swivel to release the tow cables.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
tankme

Post by tankme »

I ordered from Dioramaparts on Ebay like 2 years ago. After a month of not seeing any shipping notice I Emailed them to get a status. They cancelled my entire order and I ended up ordering the parts through Ludwigs. Granted I'm in the US, but I wasn't complaining about long shipping times. I just wanted an update. Seeing that they cancelled it, they hadn't even sent it after a month despite being marked as shipped.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Don’t worry about the headlight Mr Ram, I will still be happy to take it without one ! :haha: :haha:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

Just about wrapped up now, all it needs is the final reassembly and then it's ready to go to someone competent!

Got some shiny bling installed in the form of metal gun barrel, mantlet, hatches, hinges, periscope, antenna mount and pistol ports. I've used spare track links from my Trumpeter T-34 kit because they've got much nicer surface detail than the monolithic block that comes with the Heng Long kit. The hatches are all functional.
IMG20210508102239.jpg
IMG20210508102454.jpg
None of the detail parts (still left in green) are permanently attached. I'll package them separately so they make the trip safely, and the new owner can decide what best to do with them. Most of them aren't bad at all, but the MDSh smoke canisters on the rear are probably some of the poorest-moulded pieces I've ever seen.
IMG20210508102720.jpg
IMG20210508102852.jpg
General Jumbo01 wrote:Just so you know, in the last photo you show the tow couplings and, just above each one, two smaller 'fittings'. These should be fitted the other way up so the long ends just touch the main coupling. They stop the cable jumping off but swivel to release the tow cables.
Yes they are, well spotted General! That's what I get for being lazy and trusting the Heng Long instructions instead of getting up to check reference images on my computer in another room. I'm not actually sure that they'd really fit the right way around though, there doesn't seem to be enough of a gap there.
tankme wrote:I ordered from Dioramaparts on Ebay like 2 years ago. After a month of not seeing any shipping notice I Emailed them to get a status. They cancelled my entire order and I ended up ordering the parts through Ludwigs. Granted I'm in the US, but I wasn't complaining about long shipping times. I just wanted an update. Seeing that they cancelled it, they hadn't even sent it after a month despite being marked as shipped.
I've had good service from them in the past and they responded to my query quickly but predictably blamed COVID for the shipping delays and said it'd get there eventually. Given how poor the German postal service is at the best of times, I think I'll have to forward the hatch and headlight on when (if?) I receive them.
General Jumbo01

Those hook and catch tips are supposed to touch, the smaller catch stops a tow loop popping off the hook. The smaller catch if lifted to release the loop.

Maybe more serious, you have yet to fit the large mantlet 'cap' that protects the gun mounting. It is hinged so it is able to lift with the gun. This item is is fitted to both the SU 85 and 100. Do you have the part? I'm trying to he helpful (though probably come across as a pest) but currently building a SU100 means l'm familiar with the details!
General Jumbo01

Here's a photo to explain betterImageImage

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

Electronics and running gear installed yesterday afternoon, the lowered suspension is definitely looking the part. I've clocked the springs to make up for the additional weight of the resin fighting compartment, I think the stance is just right. I've dry-fitted the driver's hatch from the donor T-34 because the gaping hole in the front is annoying me.
IMG20210509101057.jpg
General Jumbo01 wrote:Maybe more serious, you have yet to fit the large mantlet 'cap' that protects the gun mounting. It is hinged so it is able to lift with the gun. This item is is fitted to both the SU 85 and 100. Do you have the part? I'm trying to he helpful (though probably come across as a pest) but currently building a SU100 means l'm familiar with the details!
Not a pest at all, I appreciate the constructive criticism! The kit did come with the weather shield, but I won't use it because it's frankly terrible; easily the worst part of the kit.
IMG20210509100636.jpg
IMG20210509100659.jpg
What the hell is this, an ushanka?

I don't have the skills or material to make something out of brass, but you motivated me to at least have a crack at it. A few hours this morning and evening with the old compass cutter, razor saw and sandpaper:
IMG20210509183135.jpg
IMG20210509183410.jpg
It's not 100% accurate, but nothing on this build really is (it ain't no Trumpeter, that's for sure). This attempt's definitely an improvement over not having anything, though! I'll fit some hinges and make sure that it doesn't interfere with the mantlet's elevation, putty out the gaps and give it a shot of primer. Should be ready for its new owner to work their magic on it!
General Jumbo01

Looking good. Someone will enjoy owning it. How can you bear to sell though?? A few of us would probably benefit from advice on that!

HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

General Jumbo01 wrote:Looking good. Someone will enjoy owning it. How can you bear to sell though?? A few of us would probably benefit from advice on that!

Oh he'll be ok, I will offer him counseling & a hug if he needs it !
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Other Builds”