Backdating HL Abrams M1A2 to A1

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Backdating HL Abrams M1A2 to A1

Post by SimonCornes »

Just acquired one of these and I'm waiting for it to arrive.

I don't know much about the Abrams so I was wondering if you can point me in the right direction for references to convert back to an A1?

Secondly, I have just purchased the 'Detail Up' M1A1 waterslide decals available from ebay from xyzmall-china.
Now these look very comprehensive to me but I have no idea how much information they will include on decal placement or camouflage colours - are these all desert yellow Abrams from the Gulf War campaign I wonder? Tamiya suggest that TS-45 is a good match for the dessert colours or the 3 colour NATO scheme for a European tank but I suspect the decals - being mainly black based - wont be right for a European Abrams?
Any info gratefully accepted!
Thank you
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Backdating HL Abrams M1A2 to A1

Post by BarryC »

Greetings Sir,

I've been back dating the HL A2 to A1 here.

viewtopic.php?f=201&t=18880

Though there a number of differences but the most noticeable is the Commanders Hatch and 50 Cal mount. It is completely different from the A2 and there it is not available as a replacement part anywhere that I know of. I used the pieces from the Trumpeter 1/16 M1A1 kit.

As for good references there are several but I've found these to be most useful.

https://spruebrothers.com/sab006-sabot- ... me-1-iraq/

They also publish a 2 Vol set for the M1A2 that are chock full of good quality detail photos that are common to both the A1 and A2.

Looking forward to watching you build progress. :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Post by SimonCornes »

Thank you Barry. I thought Tamiya’s was an A2 as well? In 1/16 that is. I’ll do some more digging!
Sorry, read your message again - Trumpeter!!
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

I have used several pieces out of the Trumpeter kit along with the Commanders Hatch and 50 Cal mount. I also used a number of others because the detail on them is better or more accurate than the HL part.

If you look through my build, any part you see that is gray is from the Trumpeter kit.

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Trumpeter actually as a sprue replacement program where you can order any sprue from any kit. You just Email them with the kit number and the sprue designation at joanna@trumpeter-china.com. They will send a Paypal invoice. They are slow as hell responding and shipping though. I have the Trumpeter M1A1 AIM kit in 1/16 scale (kit #0926). I ordered parts from the M1A2 kit (kit #0927) for my Heng Long build and they were fairly cheap for the sprue. At the time a large sprue was $13.00 US shipped.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Post by SimonCornes »

Thank you guys!
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Post by SimonCornes »

Barry, I've started to read your 'epic' tale! I started at the beginning and went through the first 5 or 6 pages then moved to the end and looked at the last 5 or so pages but couldn't fond any of the imagery you mentioned but I was bowled over by the shear engineering and attention to detail! I think I may have a look at the Trumpeter kit to get an idea of whats different and take out from there because I don't have the love for the tank that you clearly have! Mine was bought 'spares or repair' with an RX-18 MFU which I am replacing with a TK6.1 so that its sounds better and moves more smoothly. I could cheat and pretend that its an A1 and just slap on the decals but that goes against the grain of my modelling instinct so I'll have to try harder but I may resort to scratch building the different bits with card! I must admit that I'm also taken with the European camouflage but maybe I should allow myself just one Desert Storm machine! I wonder if those decals include placement info though? I certainly hope so otherwise I'm lost!
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Simon,

Here are a couple pics, brass and white styrene are details I've added or modified.

Commander Hatch and Gun Station: You can see how different it is from the A2 hatch and 50 cal. mount

Here are a couple of pics of the main pieces I used from the Trumpeter kit:

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Post by SimonCornes »

Thanks Barry, that is really some wonderful model engineering - gold medal stuff for sure! I have just ordered a copy of the Haynes Manual on the Abrams because I find that there are so many reference books available on subjects, I spend more time reading than building! Hopefully that book will give me a baseline so that I know what I am looking at and i can take it from there. Damned pity the decals I have aren't for an A2 !!

Simon
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Instead of decals have you thought of "Stencils"?
Our own Rad Schuhart made me a full set for my Abrams and painted on detail using stencils almost always looks more "Real" and it will almost certainly be a lot cheaper and best of all Rad does bespoke stencils,
Tell him what you want and he will give you a first class job :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Modern Tanks”