A Panzerturm for Alpha

Shootermcgraw
Private

Re: A Panzerturm for Alpha

Post by Shootermcgraw »

HERMAN BIX wrote:As its Easter, and we all have time on our hands to relax and recharge, what do you think happened ??..........

I got to cater for a family breakfast on Good Friday, that began at 0830, so I was up with the birds getting stuff prepared. :-<
So, once the Mother-in-Law arrived, I ceremoniously cracked the top off a Corona & bought the wrath of Khan down on my head Image (went on from there to Gin & Tonics to be civil, then later by 01100 Im on the Jack Daniels) cooking the bacon, herb'd mushrooms & Italian tomatoes outside on the bar'by, left mercifully alone ;)
Add in that its my Wedding anniversary tomorrow, I've not had any real productive time to get on with things. :problem: :/

BUT..........tonight I had a crack at making a wash/stain brew for the timber on this structure. Slightly dark at the moment, but once its sanded a bit & dusted over, the wood should go close to the picture.
Used a few acrylic paints thinned with turpentine to help the shade soak in. Seems ok but still to be weather'd.
The colour of the various panels are a bit of a punt though.
I am thinking that the large ones on the face with the door will be either a green or blue, the lower panels white, roof panels white, and the odd false window blacked out.
What do you reckon ?
Have I got the possible colouring right ?
Happy anniversary & Easter.... Herman, to me I don't think the day could of started out any better to set the mood. With out those 3 components for (me) I might not of managed to accomplish what was required? Now after that 3rd component, what was set apon that grill would have met its fiery end for me. All in all sounds like you accomplished a lot.ImageImage

Sent from my 9032Z using Tapatalk

You can call me Will:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!
When you can again see straight, Bix, give us a report on what your mother-in-law said! :haha: :haha: And send some photos of the food! ;D
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Lets just say .........the face like an old glass lemon squeezer expression said it all :thumbup:

In the tradition of building a new dwelling, its "Roof-Shout" time !
Ive painted a lot of the panels in base and all the woodwork is stained.
Just need to sand the staining back a bit to fade the timbers and the weathering should take care of the rest.
Turret has been 'metalised' using a pencil, spit, and a good rub over to get the look of thinned paint & steel armour showing through edges.
Most of it is hidden so not a lot to see.
Very likely the white panels will see another light coat of white, but for now its all I reckon they need.
Of all the work gone in, the various words & posters could be the hardest to finish of looking right.
Attachments
ROOF SHOUT!
ROOF SHOUT!
P4050010.JPG
P4050009.JPG
P4050008.JPG
P3260005.JPG
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Have made progress over time on this.
Its not been left.
Instead of rushing through this to get to the next tank project, I've decided to finish it completely, clear the bench, and hold off any builds so I can gather parts & research ALL the next projects.
That way, once each one makes the bench, I have all the bits and a file of research & planning ready for each one.

The slow cure of the PVA glue & a struggle with colour interpretation has made things drag, but its so close now.
I did overlook the wing appendages on the Officers side of the structure, they look like doors from a Saloon !
Despite this, once made I should be able to blend them to match the rest of the woodwork.
Reproducing glass for the visible windows down the "officers side" proved very much a failure.
The only glue to retain the perspex that stuck(super glue) frosted the plastic. plus the structural integrity of the removable screens would have been seriously compromised.
So, after painting with a light blue primer, I went over each window panel with a very thin Tamiya XF-65 Field Grey & it seems to be ok in lieu of any alternative advice............... :think:
The mesh was treated the same way as the screens on my Bedspring T34.
Primer with a random cover of various rust & brown shades.
Once dry, they were secured to each panel with gel super glue & clamped.
Dry brushed with MIG 1507 Tan for yellow-Green filter to represent the sand, dust & handling these must have been exposed to & the bunker is starting to look about right.
I have the flower pot thingo's to do on the roof, the sign, and of course the 'saloon doors' & sign writing .

I just hope the Late 'General' approves of the concept so far :angel:
Attachments
MISSED SALOON DOORS
MISSED SALOON DOORS
REAR VIEW
REAR VIEW
P5030004.JPG (85.9 KiB) Viewed 2818 times
PERIOD PICTURE VIEW
PERIOD PICTURE VIEW
P5030003.JPG (80.36 KiB) Viewed 2818 times
P5030002.JPG
P5030002.JPG (77.3 KiB) Viewed 2818 times
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Herman,
Just Great Work all the way around! You have really put a lot of yourself into this Build for Alpha and it shows. Following along with.
with regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

A truly outstanding departure from the norm, HB, assembled with great care and a very impressive skill set .. :clap:
...not to mention some choice Mother-in-law asides. :lolno:
I'm sure the General would be peppering the page with laudatory emojis and comments. :clap:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Thanks lads, its really quite therapeutic !

I've got the 'saloon doors' on.
Just got to add some infill sections & colour them. Then weather blend the tone to suit.
I have the roof pot plants(!) and the roof & general signage to add before calling it.
Attachments
P5100001.JPG
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

Great job. I am very impressed to read how you all are so connected, people from all over the world united in a hobby, and doing things for eachother.
Really great. Seems the internet does have some advantages :D
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

jee wrote:Great job. I am very impressed to read how you all are so connected, people from all over the world united in a hobby, and doing things for eachother.
Really great. Seems the internet does have some advantages :D
Thank you Mr Jee, you are dead-right.
Despite the "social media" spectre for me being one of picking on one another or shallow pics of dinners, wine glasses, pools and short skirts, the intent is that we help each other to achieve what we set out to do, regardless of the subject.

This site is generally so very accommodating and open-armed that it defies belief.
Some of my Tanks could never had been finished without the help and generosity of others here

I really feel that this particular build chose me..............not I, it, and thats why its not a 'job' or chore to do, rather an Honour.
Oh its had its share of frustrations!, thats the nature of the hobby, but its going to be special when its finished.
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Almost there.
Only need to make up the posters & random signwriting.
I was going to get funky with the sign, but it just didnt look right...............I guess if this was not based on a period picture it might have looked ok, but the words for "Alpha's Journaux Filles Et Panzer" just didnt look good.
I took the liberty of adding small ropes in each of the removable panels to make handling easier, and as I couldn't figure out how they prepared the turret for action in real life other than knocking them out with the end of the barrel on rotation !!(cant see that happening really)
Might add a bit of residual sand build up around the base.............got plenty of that around the Gold Coast !
Oh, and the little leaf thingo's in the roof pots
Attachments
P5190003.JPG
REAR
REAR
P5190001.JPG
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Battlefield Buildings”