Hooben 1:10 Leopard 2A4 build log

Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Hooben 1:10 Leopard 2A4 build log

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Hmm... I am easily confused nowadays. ;) But, hey, take the compliment and run. :P
inger
Recruit

Post by inger »

Hello All,

While I am waiting for electronics and other mechanical parts to arrive, I've been doing some test work for the 1:10 scale Saab Barracuda mobile camouflage system.

Before fully committing to the conversion, which will involve cutting up parts of the turret etc (the point of no return), I want to make absolutely certain that I have a scale solution for the camouflage.

I have a quantity of the vinyl garnish which was cut to about 1:10/ 1:8th of the real materiel. Simply draping the vinyl over the tank will not accurately replicate the camouflage system.

The Saab Barracuda mobile camouflage is made from a number of components to form tailored panels that are attached to the tank by large strips of Velcro. The underside of the panel is a made from a material that is designed absorb heat and reduce the tank's interior temperature. This material is covered in tough vinyl and garnish is stitched to the vinyl layer.
Scale garnish and a small piece thermoplastic sheet.
Scale garnish and a small piece thermoplastic sheet.
43.JPG (35.93 KiB) Viewed 2947 times
To replicate the camouflage accurately, I am using a 1mm thick thermoplastic sheet. This sheet becomes highly malleable when heated. This will be used make the individual panels that cover the tank. Because the sheets can be molded to tightly conform the shape(s) of the tank, the final result should look like the real thing.
Thermoplastic before and after heating
Thermoplastic before and after heating
40.JPG (36.67 KiB) Viewed 2947 times
It took a couple of goes to figure out the best way to attach the garish is a realistic way. I am using Mod Podge Matte (a highly tacky pva glue that dries clear) to glue the garnish to the thermoplastic sheet. In the first attempt I covered all the garish in glue on both sides. This resulted in something looking like fish scales - fail!
Attempt 1 is on the left - the garnish is too flat and looks like fish scales. The second attempt is right on the and is beginning to look more realistic.
Attempt 1 is on the left - the garnish is too flat and looks like fish scales. The second attempt is right on the and is beginning to look more realistic.
44.JPG (48.82 KiB) Viewed 2947 times
The following pictures show how I finally attached garnish to the thermoplastic.
Blobs of Mod Podge.
Blobs of Mod Podge.
46.JPG (36.8 KiB) Viewed 2947 times
Fold back clips are used hold and stretch out garnish
Fold back clips are used hold and stretch out garnish
47.JPG (32.92 KiB) Viewed 2947 times
The final result on the right
The final result on the right
44.JPG (48.82 KiB) Viewed 2947 times
Final test piece - the scale effect will quite good.
Final test piece - the scale effect will quite good.
50.JPG (43.26 KiB) Viewed 2947 times
In addition to the camouflage tests, I have started to prepare the Leopard A4 to A4M conversion parts.

I am using parts from 1:35 kits a general scale reference.
Hobby Boss and Y Modelle  kits. Parts from both kits will be used as a scale reference for the conversion
Hobby Boss and Y Modelle kits. Parts from both kits will be used as a scale reference for the conversion
52.JPG (49.79 KiB) Viewed 2947 times
1:35 parts to used as reference
1:35 parts to used as reference
49.JPG (43.72 KiB) Viewed 2947 times
The next step will be to laser scan the 1:35 parts and re-render the resulting CAD models and enlarge them by 350%. Once the parts have be correctly scaled, they will be 3D printed in resin,
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

I suggest you ask one of the moderator to move your build to the "Other builds" and "Modern build" sub section of the forum instead of the general Modern tank discussion. I was earlier looking for your build and could not find it.

This is a most demanding build. The method of using a good 1/35 kit as reference has proven to be very most efficient and accurate, much better than trying to eyeball pictures. I used the same method on my 1/16 Leopard C2 Mexas using the Meng kit as a model for all the Mexas armor (dimensions, all angles, positioning).

One 1/35 resin model on the market that could be very useful for 2A4M specs and Barracuda layout is the Perfect Scale Modellbau below. I did not check for accuracy though but it looks good.
Perfect Scale Modellbau 1/35 Leopard 2A4 CAN
Perfect Scale Modellbau 1/35 Leopard 2A4 CAN
Capture31.JPG (65.11 KiB) Viewed 2929 times
I did purchase the 1/35 Black Dog Leopard 2A6M Barracuda conversion kit a while ago. I have not build it yet. I was surprised that the kit is offering a full replacement of the Barracuda exposed turret and upper hull (almost everything other than the lower chassis...) instead of trying to provide a thin add-on layer of Barracuda in resin or plastic sheet like we get for Zimmerit (ie Atak). But your real skin method will look much better, provided you can support the fact that you will be hiding most of your hard 2A4M turret and hull conversion. I suggest you keep it simple under the Barracuda and concentrate detailing only on the exposed areas.

regards, Louis
Attachments
Black Dog Leopard 2A6M Barracula conversion kit
Black Dog Leopard 2A6M Barracula conversion kit
Capture30.JPG (93.87 KiB) Viewed 2929 times
inger
Recruit

Post by inger »

Hello, Louis. Thanks for your useful advice! I have, in the past built the Perfect Scale Leopard 2A4M CAN and it will be useful as the build progresses.
On the topic of moving the thread, yes I have already sent a couple of messages to Admin but for some reason my IMs have stayed in the outbox....something else to look into!

Thanks again, Inger
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Pm just arrived to me. I will get it moved tomorrow morning folks .
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Or now !!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

You are doing a grand job Mr inger :clap: :clap:

As for trying to contact the admin, in future, don't waste your time, contact one of the mods, they're the ones that do the real work anyway ;)
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
inger
Recruit

Post by inger »

Hey, thanks for that.

A bit more work planned for tonight and tomorrow. A couple of gears arrived which I need for the new barrel elevation servo.
inger
Recruit

Post by inger »

Hello, in order for the barrel stabilisation system to work properly, I needed to replace the OEM elevation drive motor with a servo.

To mount the servo meant using the original mounting bracket for the elevation and attaching new aluminium servo mount.
Attachments
Elevation servo
Elevation servo
IMG_0447.JPG (46.82 KiB) Viewed 2713 times
New mounting and servo
New mounting and servo
elevation servo.JPG (35.63 KiB) Viewed 2713 times
Modified bracket
Modified bracket
bracket2.jpg (29.72 KiB) Viewed 2713 times
Elevation bracket
Elevation bracket
Elevation bracket.jpg (32.58 KiB) Viewed 2713 times
inger
Recruit

Post by inger »

Some progress rendering bar armour for printing.
Attachments
image (3).png
image (3).png (48.97 KiB) Viewed 2625 times
image (1).png
image (1).png (44.27 KiB) Viewed 2625 times
Bar armour
Bar armour
image (2).png (89.76 KiB) Viewed 2625 times

Return to “Modern Builds”