My Tiger Tank Project

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: My Tiger Tank Project

Post by Jimster »

By the way, Ludwig. I’ve removed the two side plates but I’m unsure of the grub screw your mention.
The only grub screws I was aware of are the ones on the output shaft gears. Didn’t notice any under the side plates.
I’ll look again.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I have several sets of the sealed HL CNC gearboxes in both the speedy and slow versions. I like them a lot. They are quiet, powerful, and cheaper than the PDGBS or the HL equivalent. The only downside is that they are pretty heavy and I had to get creative to mount them since the screws are on the underside of the gearbox.

Here they are mounted in my SU-152:

And a speedy set in my T-72:

Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Those look like solid gearboxes. Good looking cover.
I dug a bit deeper into the gears on my PDSGB and found this:
phpBB [video]

I’ve now shimmed them with heavy duty aluminum foil to reduce the floppy movement and I’ll try them out tomorrow. I’m not really sure if this is the actual problem.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Apparently my shim experiment made an improvement. My Tiger is once again able to climb over my shoe without stopping from gear spin. Not sure how it’ll perform outdoors yet. In the meantime, I need to figure out what the problem is with the Heng Long 580 motor on my dual current gearbox.
I have to say that after driving one of these PDSGBs it’s impossible to go back to rtr style boxes.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

That shimming wasn’t a good fix but I made things right tonight! I’ll make this a quick follow-up post. I replaced the Heng Long drive motor with the smooth running DKLM motor and replaced the small Heng Long drive gear with the larger DKLM “slow” gear. These parts were absolute direct replacement fits. However I did have to remove some plastic from the HL body to allow for the larger DKLM gear. No big deal. Now it runs smoothly and quietly again and climbs obstacles like a mountain goat. I will sleep better tonight.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

You must be one of the younger fellows :lolno:
You actually waste time sleeping :shifty:
Sounds like a good fix for the gearbox my friend :thumbup: , amazing how good we get at miniature engineering in this hobby :haha:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Comatose is kind of like sleeping. Isn’t it? 8)
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Jim,

Just got back from the Arkansas pucker brush. Ah, tranny problems! :/ Not having a powerful, tractable motor is a bummer indeed! As for noise, just turn that amazing speaker that Stian made for you up to 11! :D Gear noise, I don't hear no stinking gear noise! "What was that honey? I can't hear you now, I'm fighting a tactical withdrawal from Leningrad!" :thumbup: :wave:

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Go figure. A Tiger tank with a sketchy transmission. Doesn’t get much more realistic.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Update. I tried the Beier SFR 1-D control board but before I got all the programming adjusted I realized that my Elmod was so finely tuned by me over time that I couldn’t let go. The Elmod’s driving parameters are already tweaked perfectly so I’ll save the Beier for my gunboat or some unforeseen future project. The Beier is too much board for an old bucket like my Ol’ Ugly.
I did add a radioman peeking out of his hatch. As soon I figure out the linkage geometry I’ll hook up a leftover micro servo so he can turn his head like the commander’s. I’ll also add his headphones. I know Tiger hatches didn’t open that far but want to be able to turn the turret. Modeler’s license.
Thanks for checking in Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Heng Long Builds”