Torro KV 1 864 build ,repaint, weather, elmod new sounds

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Shootermcgraw
Private

Re: Torro KV 1 864 build ,repaint, weather, elmod new sounds

Post by Shootermcgraw »

Nice job....looks great.

Sent from my 9032Z using Tapatalk

You can call me Will:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Very nice paint technique. Your weathering and pin washing really brings it all together well.
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Post by Captain Hilts »

Thanks for the positive comments guys , the weathering technics I must give the credits to Adam Wilder ,who posts lots of model building and weathering technic videos on youtube , I only copied his method. But youtube really is a great way to pick up new tricks from a lot of other guys also.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

More great work, Cap'n! The scratches, damage spots, and mud are taming down the 4B0 "modulation." About five years ago, I talked with a friend who publishes multiple modeling articles each year and has a habit of winning every doggone contest he enters, including categories in the US IPMS nationals. :sick: He suggested that modulation is being overdone, even on AFVs. Your KV-1 is now a lot more convincing with all the goop, glop, and globs on it. :thumbup: :clap:
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Post by Captain Hilts »

Hi Doc,
Yes the modulation seems to be making sense now, the more coats of goop ,glop and globs as you call it , seems to be pulling it together , even if it's a little overdone , I can live with that as its the first time trying it and I like it . I'm going to add pigments next ,hope you like it , thanks for your continuous support :thumbup:
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Post by Captain Hilts »

So finally I think I'm going to put some earth and muck colour pigments on ,just to make it look dusty , so I read somewhere that the more expensive pigments are really better and this stage i don't want to ruin it, so I ordered 2 bottles of ak interactive European earth and light dust pigments from snm stuff , a brilliant online modelling supplier for all your modelling needs in the UK , good prices and reasonable postage with 48 hr delivery. Trouble was that the colours on the ak pigments bottles and colour chart that come from ak pigments as shown in most model shops are nothing like the chart shows , not snm stuff,s fault as its all ak interactive colour charts . Sean from snm stuff agreed with me completely and offered me a refund or send me a bottle of ak burnt amber pigment which looked more like the European earth on the ak chart , which I accepted , he is going to make his own photos of the pigments in future , so great customer service from them . Then after trying the pigments out , I am afraid I absolutely hate ek interactive pigments, it is too fine ,doesn't look real and cannot be brushed about ,it sticks to the model and is even hard to wash back off with water , I ended up using my crushed soft pastel pigments in the end , which could be brushed where you want and removed if you didn't like it , much more workable , So I will not be buying more expensive weathering products again.
Attachments
kv 1 build 274.jpg
kv 1 build 276.jpg
kv 1 build 275.jpg
kv 1 build 273.jpg
kv 1 build 272.jpg
kv 1 build 271.jpg
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Post by Captain Hilts »

trial shows the ak interactive pigment on the right , which just looks white and on the left the soft pastel pigment , much more subtle
Attachments
kv 1 build 283.jpg
kv 1 build 282.jpg
kv 1 build 281.jpg
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Post by Captain Hilts »

So starting to dust it up.
Attachments
kv 1 build 17.jpg
kv 1 build 16.jpg
kv 1 build 15.jpg
kv 1 build 14.jpg
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Post by Captain Hilts »

Next I'm adding the exhaust soot , airbrush a little matt black then add black pigment , also then add black oil paint wash running soot down the side , and also making rain streaks from the the pigments, going round dropping little drops of thinners on the pigments just adjusting to my liking, I am beginning to wonder when I should stop with this weathering. I am not going to rust up the exhaust ,as these are solid armoured exhaust end covers and would not rust anyway.
Attachments
kv 1 build 210.jpg
kv 1 build 29.jpg
kv 1 build 28.jpg
kv 1 build 27.jpg
kv 1 build 26.jpg
kv 1 build 25.jpg
kv 1 build 24.jpg
kv 1 build 22.jpg
kv 1 build 21.jpg
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Post by Captain Hilts »

So decided to add some Diesel stains around the filler caps , a little mix of blue and black oil paint mix with thinners and a couple of drops of x22 tamiya gloss and let it runaround the caps, it dried up shinny enough to look wet still . Also added some muck to the tracks .
Attachments
kv 1 build 34.jpg
kv 1 build 33.jpg
kv 1 build 32.jpg

Return to “Other Builds”