Torro KV 1 864 build ,repaint, weather, elmod new sounds

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Re: Torro KV 1 864 build ,repaint, weather, elmod new sounds

Post by Captain Hilts »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Rad's markings really make your KV-1 stand out! You have much there of which to be proud.
Hi Doc. Thanks for the remarks, yes the markings are nice , but now for weathering and messing them up a little :P . Will post more on that later. :thumbup:
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Post by Captain Hilts »

Moving on , I painted the tracks oxide red , then a mixture of dark grey and gun metal, then with randon earth tone soft pastels i scraped them into a small mixture of water and painted them on, let it dry and covered with a flat varnish
Attachments
kv 1 build 152.jpg
kv 1 build 151.jpg
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Captain,

What are you (and anybody reading) using for the flat varnish? For a long time, I have used Testor's Dullcote, a US brand, but I am told that the brand is now kaput. I can get large cans of Rust-O-Leum clear flat at "big box" building stores, and I wonder if this stuff would work just as well. Thanks!
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Post by Captain Hilts »

Next a couple of coats of gloss over the tank , and a couple of coats of this mig filter , the whole thing has suddenly got darker . But seems to bring the contrast together better . So following on with the tips on the Wilder KV 1 Finishing technics video series , except im making my own pin washes and splashes from oil paint.
Attachments
kv 1 build 164.jpg
kv 1 build 163.jpg
kv 1 build 162.jpg
kv 1 build 161.jpg
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Post by Captain Hilts »

phpBB [video]
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Post by Captain Hilts »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Captain,

What are you (and anybody reading) using for the flat varnish? For a long time, I have used Testor's Dullcote, a US brand, but I am told that the brand is now kaput. I can get large cans of Rust-O-Leum clear flat at "big box" building stores, and I wonder if this stuff would work just as well. Thanks!
Hi doc
I've never heard of Rust-O-Leum, I used tamiya flat clear XF86 on the tracks , which I finished on them , then I went to the local model shop here and was recommended mig lucky ultra matt for acrylics which can be sprayed over the paint or you can add to gloss paint also as a flattener. I have only used it flattening some glosses so far and it's ok, after all the weathering on this build I thought it was flat enough and didn't want to chance ruining the contrast between the oils and pigments with a coat of flat. I'm sure there's guys here who can advise me and you on varnish.
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Post by Captain Hilts »

Next up, pin washing and dot washing with oil paints. Sorry the lighting in this room is terrible and with a phone camera its hard to get good pics. But its getting lighter and the modulation seems to be making sense now. and the wheels are back on :D
Attachments
kv 1 build 179.jpg
kv 1 build 178.jpg
kv 1 build 177.jpg
kv 1 build 176.jpg
kv 1 build 174.jpg
kv 1 build 173.jpg
kv 1 build 172.jpg
kv 1 build 171.jpg
kv 1 build 181.jpg
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Post by Captain Hilts »

Next working my way around painting scratches with light green.
Attachments
kv 1 build 199.jpg
kv 1 build 198.jpg
kv 1 build 197.jpg
kv 1 build 196.jpg
kv 1 build 195.jpg
kv 1 build 194.jpg
kv 1 build 193.jpg
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Post by Captain Hilts »

Now to sort out that bug eye headlight with a clear lens and a smaller cool led that shines more yellow like old bulbs , and some braided wire protection made from string and a new antenna made from brush handle and wire.
Attachments
kv 1 build 2016.jpg
kv 1 build 2013.jpg
kv 1 build 211.jpg
kv 1 build 2011.jpg
kv 1 build 2010.jpg
kv 1 build 208.jpg
kv 1 build 205.jpg
kv 1 build 203.jpg
kv 1 build 202.jpg
kv 1 build 201.jpg
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Thank you. I am not surprised that you have "never heard of Rust-O-Leum." I think the brand is not sold outside North America. I have used Tamiya flat clear XF86, an expensive but fine clear-coat. I can get Mig paints here in the U.S. so I will have a look at Lucky Ultra Matt when I finally get back to a brick-and-mortar hobby store. Meanwhile, I am enjoying your KV-1 build.

Return to “Other Builds”