Matorro King Tiger

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Matorro King Tiger

Post by SimonCornes »

I've just picked up one of these via an eBay auction. Very well weathered by the previous owner and a great looking tank ! Sold without 7.2v battery or transmitter.

It has an aerial on the engine deck so I assume it will have had a 27MHz radio? At the moment I am trying to work out how to separate the upper hull from the lower so that I can check out the 'gubbins' ! I was expecting maybe half a dozen phillips head screws on the lower hull between the road wheels, Heng Long style, but no evidence of any holes and the bottom of the hull is smooth apart from the on/off switch for the tank and on/off for smoke. If it is a 27MHz MFU then I'm thinking of replacing it with a HL V6.0 or Taigen V3 but at this rate I'll need a tin opener!! Or a Sherman Firefly!!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Matorro King Tiger

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

??? :S You wrote that you "just picked up one of these." Am I missing something (as usual)? One of whats? You did give us a hint that it might be WWII German when you wrote that it would take a Sherman Firefly to handle it. :)
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

You seem to like picking up the golden oldies!

Its a 27MHz system, but as far as I can remember its 'not quite' a Heng Long board - certainly closer to the mark than the WSN's tho... The hull is held on with a series of screws under the sponsons, so you'll need to remove the tracks to get at them. From memory, you'll have to carefully prise the hub caps off of the sprockets, or just push out a track pin if thats easier. Be aware that the tracks are a little brittle, but as the whole tank is based off Tamiya's original King Tiger, you can use Tamiya plastic links as replacements (which are just as fragile...).

The gearboxes are toy grade (all be it, they are reasonably robust) if you want better, you'll have to make a platform out of Milliput to mount them on as they do not have the same mounting as Heng Longs.
Last edited by Tiger6 on Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Post by SimonCornes »

That would be a King Tiger by Matorro!
I know, its been along day!!
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Am I missing something (as usual)?
The clue is in the thread title...?
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

:D
look between the top of the tracks under the wings of the upper frame, presence of several screws? may be necessary to remove the tracks? for having opened a Sherman, seems to me well that so? of memory
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Post by SimonCornes »

Tiger6 wrote:You seem to like picking up the golden oldies!

Its a 27MHz system, but as far as I can remember its 'not quite' a Heng Long board - certainly closer to the mark than the WSN's tho... The hull is held on with a series of screws under the sponsons, so you'll need to remove the tracks to get at them. From memory, you'll have to carefully prise the hub caps off of the sprockets, or just push out a track pin if thats easier. Be aware that the tracks are a little brittle, but as the whole tank is based off Tamiya's original King Tiger, so you can use Tamiya plastic links as replacements (which are just as fragile...).

The gearboxes are toy grade (all be it, they are reasonably robust) if you want better, you'll have to make a platform out of Milliput to mount them on as they do not have the same mounting as Heng Longs.
Thank you! I was using a two pronged attack with this subject and Dave at Forgebear has also advised me about splitting the hull! He mentioned that there are also bulges on the lower hull to accommodate the gearboxes and they are incorrect but I'll see exactly what I've got first! When I get it moving I'll see how well it moves and decide on gearboxes after that. Seems like a plan. The sprocket caps are missing (I see Dave sells them!) so I can get the sprockets off and hopefully the tracks will follow - but I note that care is required! Who were/are Matorro? Struck me as either Mato or Torro but then Mato are metal tanks aren't they? I'm afraid that my knowledge of r/c tanks is not yet very robust!
SCHWEREPANZER
Sergeant

Post by SCHWEREPANZER »

Don't know whether this helps or not, but if you remove the battery cover, you'll find 5 screws....which may or may not be germane to the discussion. :'(
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

From memory it was a joint project by Mato toys in China/Canada, and Torro in the EU. Not sure whether they raided HL's parts bins (or CAD library), or if it was a separate effort. They did a Tiger (basically a HL with the toy gearbox and a correct length barrel), the Sturmtiger and the King Tiger all around 2008-2009, before calling it quits (presumably due to the economy).
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

SCHWEREPANZER wrote:Don't know whether this helps or not, but if you remove the battery cover, you'll find 5 screws....which may or may not be germane to the discussion. :'(
These will be for the control board and receiver.

Return to “General Discussion”