Some very basic questions.... (Torro Tiger Self Build)

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
adm
Recruit

Re: Some very basic questions.... (Torro Tiger Self Build)

Post by adm »

Soooo......reading up about weathering and I have a question.

I am trying to figure out in my mind a rough plan for painting this kit. It's going to be a while from now, but nothing wrong with being prepared.

Am I roughly on the right track here:

Wash everything with warm soapy water and dry

Prime. Metal surfaces with some kind of etching primer, plastic with something like Mig One Shot, or Tamiya primer

Undercoat - I think this should be a red oxide colour. Maybe several different shades to give some depth. (Looks like there's a Vallejo Air kit with multiple shades for this)

Chipping fluid / hairspray

Basecoat - grey or yellow depending on where I land on that decision

Camouflage

Stencilled numbers / insignia etc...

Then do some actual chipping with brushes, toothpicks etc back to the red oxide layer (question here is is there a time window or maximum coats window between applying chipping fluid or hairspray and then chipping back through base coat and camouflage, etc....?)

Then things like oil based pin washes to accentuate details, add grime etc...

Anyway - I may be rambling a bit but am trying to come up with a plan. Any advice greatly received.

Also.....looking at the wheels on my kit, they look like substantial metal items with rubber tyres (I admit I have not opened the bag yet). How do you paint those? It would seem like a giant pain in the arse to mask the rubber off, so would you just paint the whole thing and then try to remove paint from the rubber tyres or just leave it all painted, tyres and all and let driving the tank wear it as appropriate? Or pull the tyres off prior to painting and then replace?

Thanks!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I would avoid washing any part of the Tank with Soap and Water,
I would rub the Tank all over with Acrylic (Isopropanol) Thinners instead,
Tamiya thinners is criminally expensive, Shop around.
"Servisol" sell 1 litre cans for a lot less than Tamiya's little plastic bottle,
This will degrease the Plastic and metal which soap and water will not, Do not apply too much,
The Wheels on the Tiger were different depending on whether it is an Early Tiger 1, This will have Rubber tyres, Or a Late Tiger 1 in which case the wheels will be all metal.
It is possable that your kit has both early and late wheels which means you have to decide whether you are going to build an early or late Tiger 1.
There are many other parts particular to the different version, Cupola, Exhaust shrouds Headlights etc, Reading the instruction manual would pay you well.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
adm
Recruit

Post by adm »

jarndice wrote:I would avoid washing any part of the Tank with Soap and Water,
I would rub the Tank all over with Acrylic (Isopropanol) Thinners instead,
Tamiya thinners is criminally expensive, Shop around.
"Servisol" sell 1 litre cans for a lot less than Tamiya's little plastic bottle,
This will degrease the Plastic and metal which soap and water will not, Do not apply too much,
The Wheels on the Tiger were different depending on whether it is an Early Tiger 1, This will have Rubber tyres, Or a Late Tiger 1 in which case the wheels will be all metal.
It is possable that your kit has both early and late wheels which means you have to decide whether you are going to build an early or late Tiger 1.
There are many other parts particular to the different version, Cupola, Exhaust shrouds Headlights etc, Reading the instruction manual would pay you well.
Thanks for this. I have about 20L of Isopropyl Alcohol here anyway so that will be easy. Also about 10L of pure Naptha, I think that will dissolve plastic, but should be excellent for cleaning the metal parts.

My kit is early only - hence the rubber tyred wheels....and the manual is my bedtime reading, much to the chagrin of my wife. It's decent for assembly, but has absolutely nothing to say about painting.
adm
Recruit

Post by adm »

Also...a little question on the physics of chipping fluid or hairspray. Trying to understand the mechanics behind it....

The paint is acrylic and water soluble. The chipping fluid / hairspray is non water soluble kind of lacquer based?

So it acts as a non water permeable barrier between the primer/base coat and and topcoat - so when you use water and a brush or something on the topcoat to "chip" the surface, the water softens the topcoat but the chipping fluid / hairspray prevents the water from dissolving the primer and ending up with a muddy mess? Plus there's also a hard lacquer physical barrier there.

Is that about right? Apologies for all the questions...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

That is about right yes. I’m
Not a chipping fluid guy but hairspray works well.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
adm
Recruit

Post by adm »

General Jumbo01 wrote:Just remembered. Metal turrets on plastic hull decks often cause problems with sag and wobble! Be prepared to reinforce plastic parts and shim any lose rotating parts! Many of us have been there, done that!
Interesting. Can you point me to any relevant threads, or maybe advise on any recommended approaches? Off the top of my head, I could think of either adding some thicker plastic sheet underneath the turret, or some bent metal strengthening cross members under the top hull....

Can't be doing with sag and wobble. I've been telling my wife the same for a while. Luckily we haven't needed to reinforce her yet. It might be costly or painful if we have to do so.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

A smear of washing up liquid on the wheel rims make fitting the tyres AFTER Painting the wheels a doddle,
The Acrylic thinners will clean the metal work just fine,
www.rctank.de/
sell metal reinforcing plates that go along the inside of the tank body which will do the job of supporting the weight of the metal turret
9.95 euros plus postage.
It Is also a very good source of parts for Taigen/Torro Tanks.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
adm
Recruit

Post by adm »

Excellent - thanks mate. I might go and order some reinforcing plates and just get that done from day one!
adm
Recruit

Post by adm »

jarndice wrote:A smear of washing up liquid on the wheel rims make fitting the tyres AFTER Painting the wheels a doddle,
The Acrylic thinners will clean the metal work just fine,
http://www.rctank.de/
sell metal reinforcing plates that go along the inside of the tank body which will do the job of supporting the weight of the metal turret
9.95 euros plus postage.
It Is also a very good source of parts for Taigen/Torro Tanks.

Soo....having a look at that website and I just can't find any kind of reinforcing plates for a 1/16 tiger. Sorry to be a pain, but do you have a link?
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

I think this may be what you were looking for https://www.rctank.de/Tiger-I-Metal-rei ... lower-hull
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D

Return to “General Discussion”