Hello. Another newbie!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
adm
Recruit

Hello. Another newbie!

Post by adm »

Hi All,

Well, I guess I should have posted here before asking my first question in the General forum, but I didn't and so I ask for the Mercy of the Elders.....

Anyway. I'm an old git (mid '50s), who hasn't been anywhere near modelling in over 40 years and know nothing about RC either.

I do have an engineering background and I used to love to build Airfix kits (mainly planes) as a kid. I do have a love of tanks though and have been visiting the Tank Museum at Bovington regularly for 40 years. Recently, I discovered one of my friends was building a 1/16 scale Torro Leopard 2 kit and that got me thinking "why not?" I've got more spare time than before due to the lockdown so could do with something to do other than sitting in front of the computer drinking wine.

So I ordered up a 1/16 Torro Tiger 1 from Tankzone, sorted out how to get my air tools compressor to power a modelling airgun, ordered one of those and some paints and other bits and am now sitting here waiting for the kit to arrive and obviously over thinking things.

Other than just wanting to build the thing and play with it, I have now discovered the wonderful world of weathering. So of course I want to try that too. I ordered a sacrificial Tamiya 1/35 King Tiger to have a play and practice with for this so as not to totally ruin the Torro kit immediately.

Now I have lots of stuff on the way and probably way more enthusiasm than skill or knowledge. So there will be a learning curve. I'll be asking questions....

Other stuff about me that you may not want to know.... I am long term married with three teen/twenties boys. All at home now due to the lockdown. Also three very large Scottish Deerhound dogs. And three motorcycles - 2 Harleys (one a modern, highly tuned "bobber" type and one 1980 chopper that is in progress of a total rebuild) and a BMW R1200GS. So you could probably say I like fast dogs and slow motorbikes. I really enjoy touring on my bikes to Europe and further afield - obviously not much of that recently.

I'm an excellent cook, but an awful dancer. Can't do Karaoke for love or money. Dislike football but used to enjoy freefall parachuting and paragliding. Stones rather than Beatles. Dark chocolate, not milk. Chillis rather than sugar. Legs rather than tits.

For the last 30 years, I have travelled the world as part of my job. Haven't been able to do that for the last year and I miss it. Still, more time at home, so let's build a tank or two!

That's about it for now. I look forward to learning from all the members here and maybe one day will have something to show off that I am proud of.

Cheers!

Al.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: Hello. Another newbie!

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Wow. That's what I call an introduction. A very warm welcome. As I said, there is a huge amount of knowledge here and, being a friendly bunch, we are only too happy to impart it. As you will no doubt discover, you can well get as many different opinions as answers. Old git? I think you need a few more years to compete with a number of us. We look forward to hearing about your exploits and efforts. Photos always welcome.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Stones over the Beatles!?!? Oh the horror. :O
The Tiger 1 is my favorite tank and I look forward to your upcoming, detailed build thread with photos. Are you planning on modeling a fairly accurately detailed and painted Tiger for a specific tank battalion and time period or a freelanced model? Either way, you’ve come to the right place for inspiration and information. Welcome. By the way, I’m 57.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

You are still both youngsters! I can remember back way before anyone had heard of the Stones or the Beatled
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
adm
Recruit

Post by adm »

Jimster wrote:Stones over the Beatles!?!? Oh the horror. :O
The Tiger 1 is my favorite tank and I look forward to your upcoming, detailed build thread with photos. Are you planning on modeling a fairly accurately detailed and painted Tiger for a specific tank battalion and time period or a freelanced model? Either way, you’ve come to the right place for inspiration and information. Welcome. By the way, I’m 57.
:-) Honest answer to this is I really don't know. I am still at the "Yellow or Grey" stage! Currently pulling as many Tiger camo pictures off the 'web as possible to research. Wittman? Tiger 131? Eastern Front? Africa?

Many questions on that right now....
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

It's all very well saying Michael Wittman but until you know the name of his gunner you won't really have the bug :haha:

"Balthasar Woll", :thumbup:
You bought your Tiger from "TANKZONE" :thumbdown: :thumbdown: Check it over very closely when/if it arrives,
I know some people on the Forum rate him,
I have a very good financial reason not to.
I hope you enjoy this place and do read your way through the contents of the menu because many answers to your questions will be found there :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

And a lucky fellow he was.
adm
Recruit

Post by adm »

jarndice wrote:It's all very well saying Michael Wittman but until you know the name of his gunner you won't really have the bug :haha:

"Balthasar Woll", :thumbup:
You bought your Tiger from "TANKZONE" :thumbdown: :thumbdown: Check it over very closely when/if it arrives,
I know some people on the Forum rate him,
I have a very good financial reason not to.
I hope you enjoy this place and do read your way through the contents of the menu because many answers to your questions will be found there :thumbup:
Thanks for the welcome. Now you've got me worrying about my order! Apparently it shipped to me yesterday DHL, so I am hoping to get it tomorrow. Not happy about the "if it arrives", but I did use PayPal so should be able to get the money back if it doesn't.

I ordered from Tankzone as my friend who is building a Leopard, bought from them and recommended them. I wanted a full kit with radio etc included and they seem to be a bit like hen's teeth to find right now but TZ had stock at a decent price. I presume lots of people have had the same idea during this latest lockdown. Oh well.....fingers crossed for now.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Hello AI and welcome to the forum :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

It is absolutely NOT my wish or intention to alarm or worry you or anyone else about "Tankzone",
But I cannot in good conscience not advise others in our hobby about the shortcomings I have experienced,
I have been owed a Taigen/Torro Tiger 1/£400 for some years and still I wait,
Why do I not go to Law I am sometimes asked ?
Because having exhausted polite e-mails and letters I decided that warning everybody I meet about an event that occurred to me without frills or elaboration would be more likely to achieve a longer lasting result than a settlement in a small claims court that nobody would hear about.
I am in the fortunate position where losing £400 is not a disaster but some of us can ill afford such a loss and if I can save just one innocent from such a fate then it is a job well done.
http://www.forgebeartanks.com
http://www.rctank.de
are two quality dealers who will freely offer advice as well as product and if they don't stock it they will direct you to a dealer who does, :thumbup:
Avoid "Nitrotek" whose reputation is far worse than "Tankzone". :thumbdown:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”