Taigen T34/85 build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Taigen T34/85 build

Post by LordPanzer »

Happy New Year everyone !! Hope you all have been well and enjoyed your holiday season. Been alittle while since I have be able to get logged in. I have still have been busy tinkering away in my work space on a few different projects. So I thought I'd update you all with a project which I'm about 95% done with. But I'll still share with you the process I took from the beginning. This is a metal Taigen T34 I picked up from Facebook group of rock crawlers at a really good price. The owner had gotten it in a group purchase and no interest in RC tanks. So I wanted to make this a IR battle tank and kind of beat up the appearance and weather the paint really well. I had started by making some new grab handles for the back of the turret since they were missing when I got the tank. As well I replaced the side handles with brass made handles with a bit more character. As well I removed the engine deck and cut open for some better sound and ventilation. Probably in reality ineffective but I still wanted to make a small detail. For the lower hull after a good cleaning I painted the inside and a cleaner look. Also added a clark TK80 from Mr Sollie with a angry Russian sound set and a custom made speaker box with an FRS7 speaker. I removed the BB unit and added a clark 3d printed elevation and recoil unit I had gotten from Kenny at DAK tanks in AZ. I had everything running smoothly and my daughter used it for a day of battling in Danville before I started more of the body work. Which ill show in the next post. Thanks for checking in.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Taigen T34/85 build

Post by Estnische »

Nice to see your work. I have the HL version slated for some work down the track. Might be a while at the rate my Sherman is progressing.
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

Estnische wrote:Nice to see your work. I have the HL version slated for some work down the track. Might be a while at the rate my Sherman is progressing.
Thank you! This was a fun one. As I thought since this was a Russian tank I could really beat it up and weathered and some damage to it.

LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

I wanted to show some more body wear and damage on this tank build. The 2 rear tanks were removed and holes filled with putty. The plastic tie down straps for the side mounted fuel drums were sanded down and replaced with cut brass sheeting. Also removed 1 side drum as if it was to badly damaged in battle and had been removed. I used a dermal to thin sections of the side/front/rear track fenders and applied heat to bend and warp for more bumps and bruises. A scribing tool was used on both tool boxes to open the gap to show even more dents and damage. Fitted a custom made speaker box inside and painted to match the inside hull for a cleaner look. Tk80 with FRS7 speaker and cables mounted as tiddy as i could make them. Added a henglong 6.1s fan smoker and ran new 5mm tubing to the upper hull. If any of you use a smoke unit I highly recommend a product named MegaSteam. It comes in different scents and stuff just works great !! ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

T34 crew arrived today off the slow boat from China via aliexpress. Gave them a quick bath with some warm water and dish soap. Now to let dry before cleaning them up before prime and paint. One step closer to calling the T34 project done. ImageImage

LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

In between smoke breaks I added Weld seams using 2 part epoxy putty where it.was needed. Mr. Surface 500 was then applied to add some additional cast texture appearance. It was put on in a thicker layer and used a stiff old brush to stipple on. Really trying for s beat up rough appearance of a Russian cast metal work. Also added 2 impact marks just to the right side of the driver's hatch. I removed the plastic spare track link sets on the side fender. I did not like how they looked at all. Will come up with somthing to fill in that space. Use a soldering iron and then Tamiya white putty for more depth. Up next. Prime and paint!ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Last edited by LordPanzer on Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

Coat of Tamiya white primer applied on top of the hull and turret before applying NATO black as a shadow outline of all panel lines and around all details. Next 2 light coats of Vallejo Air Russian green 4BO applied and sealed with Tamiya TS80 before I can start the next step of blending colors using some oil paints and appling enamel weathering products and pigments.

This Tamiya white primer is great in that its very fine and covers excellent. Downside is the white does get in every nook and cranny which can take some extra attention when applying your shadow outlines. I like their gray primer as its not as bright and seems to dry flatter then the white. Have even seen they now have a red oxide primer in a spray can. Id like to see a black spray primer which covers just as good. Then could use a lighter color to highlight the center of the panels instead of going cross-eyed trying to keep my lines straight using black. Ok rant over ! Happy Tanking ! ImageImageImageImageImage

quitcherbitchen
Private

Post by quitcherbitchen »

outstanding work. Thanks for sharing the build. I will eventually get one myself.
Heng Long Panzer III
How I learned to love the bomb
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

A bit of pigmets, washes and streaking has been added. I used 2 branches from the back yard as side mounted tree logs also used a tea bag and paper napkins rolled and folded before set to place with a 50/50 mix of white glue and water. Painted placed on the fender as tarps to use in the field. Still playing with the right amount of weathering. Can be hard to find the right balance and not do to much or to little.

Making good progress on the 3 man crew to move this tank onto battle. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

Calling this build done and ready for battle.
Thanks for following along! ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Other Builds”