Heng Long vs Taigen Leopard 2A6

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Re: Heng Long vs Taigen Leopard 2A6

Post by abramsky »

I will worry you a bit but HL v6.0 / 6.1 MFU does not disable this option completely. You have a choice of 3 levels and at the minimum it actually looks like you turned off this idiot bouncing after each shot ... unfortunately not quite. Just fire the gun while driving to know what I'm talking about ... your modern tank will stop for a moment while driving after each main gun shot. The only option to turn it off is to change the MFU circuit by some electronic ninja adding a circuit that completely bypasses the drive cut-off signal while shooting.
Leo Part 1
Recruit

Post by Leo Part 1 »

abramsky wrote:I will worry you a bit but HL v6.0 / 6.1 MFU does not disable this option completely. You have a choice of 3 levels and at the minimum it actually looks like you turned off this idiot bouncing after each shot ... unfortunately not quite. Just fire the gun while driving to know what I'm talking about ... your modern tank will stop for a moment while driving after each main gun shot. The only option to turn it off is to change the MFU circuit by some electronic ninja adding a circuit that completely bypasses the drive cut-off signal while shooting.
I have actually 4 levels on the Heng Long, from zero recoil to very heavy (bizar) recoil.
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

We are both right :)
In fact (and according to the HL manual) there are 3 levels plus OFF. My point is that a noticeable recoil has 3 levels and additionally (in theory) it can be completely turned off. However, do a simple test. Turn off the recoil completely (K + S button), give your tank full throttle and fire the main gun. You'll see what I'm talking about. The tank stops for a moment while shooting. This behavior is undesirable in modern MBT's models. However, the HL 6.0 / 6.1 electronics are still way better than what HL has offered so far, so at the beginning of the adventure with RC you can accept a few imperfections.
Leo Part 1
Recruit

Post by Leo Part 1 »

Yes, indeed. There is a brief moment where the tank stops and fires. Not really very realistic.

Anyway, after giving it a lot of thought, I decided I had to make a choice: which Leopard to upgrade and with what?
The Taigen is a sturdy metal tank but I think that upgrading it will be a bit more difficult since many upgrade sets are made for HL tanks. The Clark board will work in the Taigen, but since the barrel construction of the Taigen really differs from the HL construction, it might become a challenge to make it all work.

The HL tank is mostly made op plastic (gear, idlers, sprockets and tracks are metal). And the paint is not that good. BUT: Clark makes very nice updates (recoil, deck elevation, etc).

So here's what I think is best for now:
I'll upgrade the HL with Clark stuff. Make it more realistic by adding recoil, deck elevation, GBS.
The Taigen will be upgraded at a later point, probably with IBU or Elmod and some different parts like the recoil and rotation engines (they are really loud). Updating the Taigen with Clark might prove a bit difficult to start with. And maybe I'll look into upgrading the Taigen with the HL v6.0s that will become obsolete in the HL tank.

Just two things I would like some advice on:
  • - Will the HL barrel smoke unit work with the TK80G2?
    - The current setup of the HL transmitter is somewhat strange. I would like 1 stick to move the turret and gun, and 1 stick to move the tank. Right now the left stick moves the tank forward/backward and the gun up/down. It would like it to move the tank forwards/backwards and left/right. Or is this something that will be possible only with the Clark board?
So much to discover.....
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I can’t help you with barrel smoke units.
You will be replacing that HL radio when you get a a Clark board. Then, with your new programmable radio you can program your sticks exactly how you want them. Makes things much more fun and customizable.
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

Leo Part 1 wrote: Just two things I would like some advice on:
  • - Will the HL barrel smoke unit work with the TK80G2?
    - The current setup of the HL transmitter is somewhat strange. I would like 1 stick to move the turret and gun, and 1 stick to move the tank. Right now the left stick moves the tank forward/backward and the gun up/down. It would like it to move the tank forwards/backwards and left/right. Or is this something that will be possible only with the Clark board?
So much to discover.....
Hello
Check it out here viewtopic.php?f=201&t=30903&start=20
I think you have the same problem ( drive cables swapped - if you unplugged them earlier ), or your remote (RX) has switched to dual stick mode ( if you are using HL TK 6.0s/6.1s ). Such switching causes the throttle to be on the left stick and turning on the right stick.
Good luck :)
Leo Part 1
Recruit

Post by Leo Part 1 »

You Sir, deserve a big thank you! :clap:
With the combination of keys described in the linked post I managed to change it. It was nowhere to be found in my HL manual......
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

I am glad that I could help :)
Leo Part 1
Recruit

Post by Leo Part 1 »

Soooo, note to self: never buy any el-cheapo battery from AliExpress again!
Today I was driving around with my HL Leopard 2a6 when suddenly the smoke unit started working. "That's weird, I didn't turn it on", I said to my self. And it never smelled so weird. Than I realized my tank was on fire....! :wtf:
I picked it up immediately and brought it outside. With the belly of the beast facing away from me I opened the battery housing and saw the battery had exploded 8O 8O

I'm glad I had put it outside before anything worse happened. The damage to the tank itself is repairable. Most of the damage was done in the battery housing, so nothing to see from the outside. But it ruined my HL v6.0s board. All other electronics seem to be ok. The wires from the battery fully melted and it looks like that caused the board to burn as well.

Thanks for delivering good batteries, AliExpress.....It could have burned the whole place down. @)

So now I'm contemplating what to do. I'm looking into Clark boards etc. But in the meantime I do want to be able to run the tank. So a replacement HL board needs to be ordered. The question is, do I go for a v6.0S or a v6.1S. I would at least need a different connector to hook (good) batteries to the v6.1S, but I wonder if anything else needs to be done or if the v6.1S is worth the little extra money.

At least I can say that my Leopard had it's baptism of fire.
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

Wow !!! I also had a fire on board once, because of stock HL wires from the battery to the MFU (old HL 2.4Ghz v3) burned out from the circuit overload (too high current due to frictional resistance of the tensioner wheel).
phpBB [video]

Was the fire caused by a short circuit of the crappy Tamyia connector in the battery? I remove them immediately and changed to T-Deans because my son's Leo pins fell out of the Tamyia connector. It almost didn't cause a short circuit like you did.
You can go in TK 6.1s. You will save several dozen dollars ... You already have the HL remote control and binding with the new MFU will not be a problem. The 6.1s has some features - I can show you how to add the feature of raising the cannon above the engine deck (it's very simple).

Return to “General Discussion”