1945 Jagdtiger Tank Destroyer

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

1945 Jagdtiger Tank Destroyer

Post by PainlessWolf »

Well, Santa had other plans this year besides new tracks for the Stuart. I was very surprised to find this long coveted AFV under the tree on Christmas morning. I was just beginning to seriously put the Jagdpanther Build from last Christmas together when this Monster showed up. I swiveled direction so fast I think I hurt myself. ;o) Seriously, tho', I am awaiting parts to turn the Jagdpanther into an IR version w\ flash and recoil and this IR Jagdtiger is already set and ready to go. It was from a fellow out in CA who had quite a few of these and I cannot fault Grifter as he found a great Deal for an unpainted one here in the States. I normally buy from Taigen for entire vehicles but they had been out of stock for some time. The vehicle arrived with a couple of faults. Broken rear deck ( where someone got happy trying to push and lock the deck down ) and a non working bow mg. The deck I had repaired solid the first day out of the box. Looking at why the deck would not lock down, I put a washer apiece on the catches to lengthen them an 1/8 of an inch and the deck lock issue was resolved as well. On the way to repairing the bow mg, I removed the stock speaker and replaced it with one of Maxxmekker's Specials. What a difference in sound! You can feel the surface it is sitting on vibrate with the bass undertones of the idling Maybach. ;o) The bow mg had two issues, a suspicious looking melted area on the wires and someone at the manufacturer had put too short a length of fiber optic line in the barrel and it was not touching the bulb. I had originally thought, "Hey it is a plug in unit." "Just buy another" Easier said than done. Chatting with Dave from Forgebear, I got useful information and decided to just repair it myself ( It was during the fix that discovered the skimpy fiber optic cable issue ). The Smoker output was anemic as well but a closer examination showed how someone at the factory ( same guy?) had tied the exhaust tubing together under the catch for the upper deck and kinked both sides off. New tubing resolved that issue and the Smoker is working much better. So, aside from some detailing and picking a paint scheme I can move forward with this Detail Build. I cannot find a working Barrel Lock nor rear Deck MG so garnering some inspiration from an elder Matorro Jagdtiger Build by Jim Bob Wan, I think I can put the existing parts to work with movement. So without further babbling from me, Here We Go!
regards,
Painless

Pics: ( Click to Enlarge )
Attachments
Stock Wiring Photo B.jpg
Stock Wiring Photo B.jpg
Stock Wiring Photo A.jpg
Stock Wiring Photo A.jpg
Literature in German from Torro.jpg
Literature in German from Torro.jpg
Smoker is feeble as well...an easy fix with new uncrimped tubing.jpg
Smoker is feeble as well...an easy fix with new uncrimped tubing.jpg
A quick run to test the functions reveals no active led on the bow mg.jpg
A quick run to test the functions reveals no active led on the bow mg.jpg
You would have to examine the rear deck closely to see the issue after repair.jpg
You would have to examine the rear deck closely to see the issue after repair.jpg
Upper had a breakage issue but not beyond repair.jpg
Upper had a breakage issue but not beyond repair.jpg
Solid lower and well laid out....jpg
Solid lower and well laid out....jpg
Securely packed from California.jpg
Securely packed from California.jpg
Apparently I was a Good Boy.jpg
Apparently I was a Good Boy.jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: 1945 Jagdtiger Tank Destroyer

Post by PainlessWolf »

Continued:
Pics: ( Click to Enlarge )
Attachments
Tested and working....jpg
Tested and working....jpg
Everything mounted an secured.jpg
Everything mounted an secured.jpg
Better than new.jpg
Better than new.jpg
Failing to locate a spare bow mg..,Time to repair the original....jpg
Failing to locate a spare bow mg..,Time to repair the original....jpg
Solid mg mount and excellent gears are stock.jpg
Solid mg mount and excellent gears are stock.jpg
New style Daughter board.jpg
New style Daughter board.jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

What a great Christmas present! One of the nice things about having a factory-made Jagdtiger, is not having to try and "stretch" a Tamiya King Tiger aluminum lower hull. I am sure you will create another masterpiece with this one!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Oh and I can vouch for not having to go through that streeeeetching of the lower !!
Mr Jackalope and myself managed to get those barrel supports(different types) from Europe, have a sniff around our old threads mate, you will surely be reminded of where to look perhaps?
A nice blank canvass to work with :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Mike!
I was pretty floored for sure. ;o) With this vehicle, I am going from early War to almost the last days in the European theater. The paint will be fun as well as coming up with the right crew and details.
regards my Friend,
Painless!
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Herman!
Thank you for looking in! This vehicle is huge and will be a lot of modeling and detailing fun! Thank you for the reminders about the earlier Builds. I was going to follow along on Jim Bob's ideas but I am not afraid to save some time and spend a few dollars instead. As I get older, I know that Time is the most valuable thing of all.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Nice big TD to play with :)

Look forward to the progress.
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

Will certainly be following along to see the progress and what you do with this JT.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I think Santa would have risked a hernia toting that around :O :thumbup: but what a really pleasant surprise present, Painless :thumbup:
I've always liked the distinctive touches found on Taigen models: the quick release mechanisms; the conveniently positioned combined switch blocks; superior hulls and much more besides.
In the coming weeks, I also anticipate seeing some of those trademark Painless refinements, and subtle enhancements that are so worthy of imitation. :thumbup: :wave:
Roy.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Adlav!
Good afternoon! I am looking forward to having some space to work with after the Pz IV. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Other Builds”