F4U Corsair

Non-RC planes can be posted here, however big or small!
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

F4U Corsair

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Hi everybody. I am a bit tired of tanks and I needed something new, so I got this:

More info, here: https://radindustries.wordpress.com/202 ... u-corsair/

Last edited by Rad_Schuhart on Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
jarndice
Colonel

Re: F4u Corsair

Post by jarndice »

Hi Rad, Glad to see you have got started on the "Foamie" path :thumbup:
I was surprised when I discovered that the F4U (Named Corsair 1/11/111 by the Royal Navy) was first flown off of Carriers by the British quite some time before the US Navy/Marine Corp,
The RN bought over 2,000 of all types and they served in the Atlantic as well as the Pacific with that Navy including a not totally successful attack on the Tirpitz,
They went on to serve with positive results in the Korean conflict before finally being withdrawn from service,
If you do paint your foamie do be careful what paint you use as some paints burn the foam and in other cases crack and flake off (Don't ask) :{
The best "First" Foamie I flew was a 1/8 DHC 2 Beaver, Big Mainplane and working flaps with a sturdy undercarriage makes landings even when windy easy and fun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I’m jealous.
quitcherbitchen
Private

Post by quitcherbitchen »

I have two (had) of those. One was a Durafly from Hobby King and the other was an Arrows. The two had subtle differences. The H K had separate rocket pockets so you could take the rockets off and on with a screw driver. It also didn't have a battery tray which I don't like in the Arrow version. Arrows has a better canopy hatch tongue. If you have never flown this model before just remember that she is susceptable to wind with the gull wing. The tail wheel is weak too. I changed props to a single 13 x7.5 prop and she has less torque on take off and flies much longer on a 2200mah 3s battery. Mine has a working bomb drop which I designed and manufacture.
this is a prototype.  Couldn't find the picture of it on the plane
this is a prototype. Couldn't find the picture of it on the plane
Prototype Hs 55 Servo adapter.gif (18.93 KiB) Viewed 5134 times
I also put HK dr madthrust cannon sounds and lights. Modded the LED to higher 7000mdl and strengthened the pushrods with carbon sleeves.
machine gun LEDs
machine gun LEDs
I crashed the Durafly to parts when I put the full flaps I modded down for a down wind landing. Bad Idea. It tip stalled and never recovered. The Arrows I am not going to mod the flaps. Keep stock. The Corsair is one of my most accurate bombing platforms. I can usually pickle barrel the bombs flying her and with my other foamies not so much. Don't honestly know why. She is one of my favorites and love the Korean war schemes.
direct hit.  Just landing to see the damage
direct hit. Just landing to see the damage
Corsair after bomb run..gif (99.55 KiB) Viewed 5134 times
Heng Long Panzer III
How I learned to love the bomb
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Jarndice: Thanks for all the historic info, never imagined they attacked the Tirpitz.

I am definitely planning to repaint it. I do like how it is right now, but just cant stand with the stock markings that everybody has, lol. And also I can paint the blue much better than that, add noseart and so on. A friend of mine told me this Corsair has Korean markings, is that correct? Not an issue, but just curious.

And about painting it, pfew, thanks God you prevented me! In fact I am not too sure of how to paint it. I had the idea of priming it with the tamiya grey can and then airbrush it with tamiya paints diluted with alcohol... But the model is painted with some sort of paint that feels like a thin rubber... Not sure how is that going to last or what is going to happen. I guess I will dettach any of the removable parts, like the rockets, and I will try with it first and then we shall see what happens.

I am also working in another secret warbird that nobody from this forum has seen yet but Herr Jimster. an 1/16 C 47 by VQ Models, made of balsa. I am having loads of fun with it, adding lights, sounds controlling the motors in tons of different ways messing with the radio and more. Once it is ready (Id say at least one year, considering every part I buy from aliexpress takes 2 months to arrive) I will publish as usual. If you have not seen that toy, check in google images, is gorgeous! this one will be air ready but I don't dare to fly it at all. Every super experienced build I am following ended crashing in the maiden and I cannot afford another plane neither are easily repairable.

Quitcherbitchen: Thanks for all of that info! I have not flown it yet. I am waiting for the replacement gyro that FMS has sent me, because the stock part was more of a banzai/tora tora tora/suicide button than anything else. It makes sense considering the pilot is japanese, LOL. The issue with the stock gyro is when I activate it, it moves ails and ele in the opposite way, and rud just does not move at all. That gyro is not programmable at all and there is nothing I can do with it. The newer V2 gyro is not programmable neither but you can connect it to the computer and select the model. I think what I will do is to get one of those "Hobbyeagle A3 Pro" gyros which are an amazing piece of tech. We shall see...

About sounds, machine gun and so on, my plan is to fit a benedini micro. I already did the motor sounds, machine gun, rockets and pilot voices and the board is only 1g heavy. Not sure what to use as speakers because this thing is very very tight inside.

Oh! and we all would love to see your plane bombing! Send videos!
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Latex Paint is almost certainly what covers your Corsair,
It can be sprayed through an airbrush but do practice first,
It actually lasts quite well and helps to protect the foam structure of the aircraft.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
quitcherbitchen
Private

Re: F4U Corsair

Post by quitcherbitchen »

My Corsair is actually bigger then the 800 mm FMS. Mine is 1100mm, but I am sure they would fly the same. Here is a videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5gWvo-bSfM

I don't use a gyro in my Corsair, but I do have them in some of my other planes. I use the Eagletree gyro which unfortunately went out of business due to the Pandemic back in July. Their gyros are adjustable and very forgiving. I have one in my Storch and my B-17.
Here she is taking a dump LOL
Here she is taking a dump LOL
B-17 dropping bombs at Sepulveda.gif (11.82 KiB) Viewed 5065 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dX_h_FmeQ4
Last edited by quitcherbitchen on Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Heng Long Panzer III
How I learned to love the bomb
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

I keep looking at the planes every so often and I keep toying with the idea of a hurricane. Though I would be more inclined to have it as diorama rather than fly it for fear of crashing it
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Rad’s awesome Corsair has me itching for a FW-190 foamie. I’ve wanted an rc plane since I was kid. More money, more money! :wtf:
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

I had a lot of fun flying "park flyers" about 20 years ago. All three of mine were WW1 planes. A Fokker Eindecker, Fokker D8, and finally a Fokker D7. All were 3 channels only. Only twice did I come back home from flying without having to fix anything! :/ Any large park, deserted parking lot, or school track field was a landing strip.

I did crash better than anyone I knew! :wtf: :crazy: An expert RC plane operator once told me : "Takeoffs are optional, landings are mandatory"! Landings were definitely my weak spot, but I did fly into trees, goalposts, my self, and once landed on top of the local middle school's roof (I had to go home and get the extension ladder to get my plane back)!

I to have thought of getting back into flying at times. Now I would do an electric powered sailplane. The wheat field behind our house would make for nice cushy landings and the hot, sticky Missouri Summer's would provide plenty of thermals.

In the end, I just got sick of constantly fixing my plane all the time due to my crappy flying skills. It was amazing how much epoxy you could put on these planes and still have them fly! Part of the whole game was just wanting to prove to myself that I could do it. The same expert RC pilot told me: "flying constantly repaired planes makes one a better pilot". I'm not so sure about that in my case!

Regards,
Eric.
Last edited by EAO on Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!

Return to “Planes”