Question for IR battlers

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
quitcherbitchen
Private

Re: Question for IR battlers

Post by quitcherbitchen »

That would be great. The photo does help. I can see it isn't as far out as the BB Led
Heng Long Panzer III
How I learned to love the bomb
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

The tip of the LED should be 9mm from the opening.
quitcherbitchen
Private

How do you clear the barrel saddle for the cannon?
Seems like the LED will rub against this
Seems like the LED will rub against this
My other problem is I can't get the stock LED out of the Mantelet armor. I I actually cracked it. I have since given up. Might need some debonder.
Heng Long Panzer III
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

I'm using the Asiatam recoil unit, which doesn't have those 4 ribs on the trunnion, but otherwise is the same - the IR led sits infront of that.

The LED was usually held in place with hot glue, perhaps the glue monkey has gone up in the world? I'd suggest trying a hammer and a bit of steel or brass rod as a drift, should pop right out as the resin the LED is made of isn't known for gripping to superglue particularly well.
quitcherbitchen
Private

I think the Hot glue monkey must be a Gorilla. I broke the Mantelet by using your recommended method. Not your fault as I actually thought of that first and tried it (broke it) then asked for help. The LED is really glued in. Because the whole piece of plastic around LED is basically ready to fall out, I might must pull it off and then use the tubing method and reinsert it. It may not be as strong I fear as the stock LED receptacle. Maybe drill it out? Then I might cut some of those fins off the barrel trunnion. I need to leave some fins so the barrel doesn't slip sideways. There is no way the LED will fit there now if I leave it the way it is. Thanks for the help. I eventually will get a different recoil barrel.
Heng Long Panzer III
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

One thing to remember is that you only need the rib at the end to act as an end stop - you can cut the middle portion away...

Looking at a (as yet unconverted) Tauchpanzer mantlet, I measure 20mm from the opening back to the rib. A Tamiya IR LED measures 8.4mm from the base to the crown. Add on 9mm in front of that for the tube and you end up with a pinch under 18mm. Remove a little of the rib to get some clearance for the LED legs and cables and you should be good?

You will need to drill out the LED mounting hole to insert the tube for sure. I'd suggest back filling around the existing hole in the inner mantlet with Milliput first (once you have the LED out of there) and then gradually work your way up from the original 5mm diameter to whatever OD your tube is. (Secret option B is to backfill around without removing, and drill it all out - but I'm not sure how toxic the working parts of the LED are, and you might not maintain alignment with the barrel?). If you have completely smashed it, then use a 5mm drill bit down your new tube as an aligning tool, and again set the whole lot in Milliput. So long as you have degreased the parts first, that Milliput won't be coming out again.

Unfortunately I dare not bust open my PzIIIL to photo how I did it, as she's getting rather elderly and bits break off every time I take a screwdriver to her... If you are really stuck I'll try to find time to repeat the process on my Pz IIIN and document it for you, but its really not difficult to do if you just take your time.
quitcherbitchen
Private

Thank you for the detailed response Tiger. I'll try and salvage the exiting socket to keep alignment.
Thanks again
QB
Heng Long Panzer III
quitcherbitchen
Private

I drilled out the LED and wore a mask as you pointed out drilling an LED might have some environmental consequences. Sure enough a big POOFFF came out the LED when I drilled it out. Whatever was inside was very high pressure. The LED refused to leave the existing opening. I measure the IR emitter I have and it is 5mm. The Mantlet is only 4mm. So I probably should have just broken off the existing opening. I have to get some brass tube to fit my emitter LED, I have Plastic but it isn't 5mm inside Diameter. It is 6mm. I want a snug fit.
IR emitter bulb is still much bigger then the stock opening
IR emitter bulb is still much bigger then the stock opening
Heng Long Panzer III
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

https://evergreenscalemodels.com/produc ... -od-tubing is perfect for the emitter tube. I suspect you may have to mount the tube into the inner mantlet and then carefully drill out the outer part? Otherwise just hog the led port in the outer completely and then backfill and smooth it off after if you don't need to separate the inner and outer ever again? - its honestly been so long since I last tore down a Panzer III that I forget how they come apart :crazy:
quitcherbitchen
Private

Thank you TIger your rusty brain has been very helpful. :D Still have questions. First, did you drill out the Inner mantelet backplate for the tube? I assume you would. I also noticed my mantelet was broken. The tank was bought used so I figure they must have dropped or hit the barrel. I repaired it with super glue. Also, thank you so much for the tubing link.
Inner Armor mantelet cover does this hole get drilled?
Inner Armor mantelet cover does this hole get drilled?
this was found broken.  Since fixed
this was found broken. Since fixed
should this tube go thru?  I assume it would
should this tube go thru? I assume it would
Heng Long Panzer III

Return to “General Questions”