Anyone know the RAL colour for this?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Anyone know the RAL colour for this?

Post by jarndice »

There have been so many films of and about WW2 since it's end and the Uniforms and ancillaries have to be sourced from somewhere so that might be a decent starting point.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

HERMAN BIX wrote:StuG teams were part of the Artillery back early, so went with the Artillery type uniform apparently. "Sturmartillerie".
Either way, they are still very brave men/kids and did their duty as asked by their nation.
No doubt about it, HB. :) I've often thought I'd rather be in a tank than an Assault vehicle (StuG etc.,), mostly because the turret provides the gun with a more rapid traverse, and greater all-round movement. I think StuGs/Tank hunters relied more on concealment, and hull down locations than tanks, most likely because of the gun aiming limitations. Aiming would also depend more on the driver's skill than it would in a turreted tank. :problem:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jarndice wrote:There have been so many films of and about WW2 since it's end and the Uniforms and ancillaries have to be sourced from somewhere so that might be a decent starting point.
I've been looking, Shaun. I found that Cinnabar-red might be the colour used, and that Rose-pink was used for the piping on Panzer uniforms. Finding the right acrylic in the Vallejo/AK range is not so simple, however. Incidentally, the same red was used on the collar patches of generals, I believe, and elsewhere. I've ordered a Vallejo scarlet as a starting point.
Some of the most readily accessible details of insignia and uniforms can be found on Wikipedia, in fact. A source I'd overlooked. :)
Here's the death's head and Pink piping on the Panzer collar patch, for example. Painting piping on a 1/16 scale figure will be a hell of a challenge. :wtf:
I've ordered some very fine brushes, and a fine single malt (medicinal- to steady the nerves and hand :haha: ).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranks_and ... ar_patches

Here's a useful site on painting flesh tones: the biggest nightmare of all 8O 'Tis a pity that tankers didn't use facial camo cream and paint. Camo would be on means of avoiding a 'Crazy Joe' outcome :lolno:
https://www.craftsy.com/post/mixing-paint-skin-tones/#
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Well, I never did find the right RAL colour for the red- or even the pink piping on Panzer uniforms. I've ordered a whole set of primary and basic acrylic colours to simulate these tones.
Lately, however, I've hit something of a wall looking at skin tones. :problem: Tamiya and Vallejo do a 'flesh' tone for Europeans, but I'm wondering what colours to add to these
to provide highlights and shadows. Any ideas? I know you're supposed to use Burnt Sienna, white, and several others. Then, it also occurred to me, how to does one go about simulating blonde or even red/ginger hair?? :wtf: (the genes for both of which are present in my own family). I'm okay with landscapes, fruit and flora, but I've never attempted to paint a human face before (my kids, and Halloween, excepted :D ), that is. :problem:
Then I clapped eyes on this incredible painting by Takaishi Makoto :O :
How on Earth does he get those skin and eye tones? What colours could he possibly mix?
The pic's all the more amazing when you discover that it's in 1/35 scale!!. 8O
Apparently, this model painter is something of a celebrity, and gets a mention in Mig Jimenez' blog.
Here's another jawdropper:

Here's a link to Mig's visit to Japan, where he encountered the maestro...
https://migjimenez.blogspot.com/2011/05 ... japan.html
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

I think I even see a bit of a beard stubble! No idea on how this is humanly possible...at least not with my eyes! Can't even imagine... a one hair paint brush?! :wtf: :crazy:

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Wow! I have some repainting to do. :{
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

EAO wrote:I think I even see a bit of a beard stubble! No idea on how this is humanly possible...at least not with my eyes! Can't even imagine... a one hair paint brush?! :wtf: :crazy:

Cheers,
Eric.
:eh: Yes, one of Popeye's hairs perhaps, Eric...with some magical spinach energy in it. What gets me, though, is how perfectly blended the tones are. 8O ...at 1:35. Takaishi must have utterly shake-free hands, as I think that even a computer-controlled airbrush (if such a thing exists- and if it did, it would probably be Japanese) would be hard pushed to emulate this.
Apparently, Takaishi's work is featured regularly in Armor (sic) Modelling magazine- there's a reference here, but I've not been able to track the mag down:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missing ... 18331.html
I see now, that he has three masterclass books on Amazon.com. They're pretty expensive.
https://www.amazon.com/s?i=stripbooks&r ... _sr_book_1
Whilst it can be depressing, for the novice dauber, seeing such accomplished work- it's also something to aim for. ;)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jimster wrote:Wow! I have some repainting to do. :{
:D It's always humbling- and inspiring too, to see what can be done with a paintbrush (apart from extracting unwanted earwax.. :lolno: ). But if he also uses an airbrush, as is suggested in references to his work, I wonder how it's possible, unless he has a one foot tall Rob Ross operating a miniature one!. :)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I've just ordered a set of these from Amazon, in the (forlorn- :problem:) hope of getting anything vaguely human looking in the physog dept. :)
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Have a look on YouTube for Dave Youngquist face painting. The videos helped me with my figure painting. Of course, it also helps if you have a degree of artistic talent, which I do not.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D

Return to “General Questions”