Scratch build US Army "Scout" Armoured recon vehicle XM800 T

HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Scratch build US Army "Scout" Armoured recon vehicle XM8

Post by HERMAN BIX »

That is most definitely a "stealth" AFV !
Such complex angles, surely cant just be for shot deflection...............can it ?? :shh: :shifty: :shifty:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi Mr Bix.
Thank you for your continued interest.
Regarding your comments on stealth design.
This tank was produced in the mid 1970's was highly successful in trials so much so that the US Army ordeted 2 to 3000 of them before the conclusion they were so impressed with it, then out of the blue the project was cancelled much to their dismay , what was the replacement......the slab sided Bradley ???.
It just so happens that also in the mid 1970's DARPA was investigating stealth technology and the first stealth aircraft the HAVE blue flew in the wait for it .....mid 1970's.......then the F117 stealth fighter we now know was operational in 1983.

Maybe, just maybe :/ the XM800T was cancelled to protect the forth coming stealth aircraft and F117...just a thought, but the time lines fit perfectly and could offer a reason why the cancellation of production of the XM800 T amazed so many people.
Sub.
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

Hi guys
I don't think stealth technology has anything to do with. IFVs are not a tank and to reduce weight they are usually made of aluminum (let's say very simply). As in WWII vehicles, appropriate armor plate angles are used to improve the ballistic capabilities of light armor (similar to WWII tanks since the T34 - as you surely know). For armored land vehicles, more important than lowering the radar signature is mobility, firepower, reduction of thermal signature and silhouette. To achieve this, it is much easier to cover the vehicle with a suitable paint that absorbs radar waves and reduces infrared emissions, and to use multispectral coatings such as SAAB Barracuda or the Polish Lubawa system:
http://www.lubawa.com.pl/pl/kamuflaz-i- ... az-mobilny
As I know XM800T project was canceled because it did not give anything more than what the M113 offered, and as a result, another project was started. In that way the M2/M3 Bradley was born.
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi.
Thank you Mr Abramsky, of course you are correct but nothing like a little speculation to get people to look at a thread :haha: .
The weopons system was greatly better than the M113 with the Auto 20mm, fully stabalised, night vision cannon etc, all comes down to money in the end though. :thumbup:
Sub.
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

There is nothing wrong with speculating :)
Yeayh. You're right about turret, but perfect turret is not a whole vehicle, and the chassis, unfortunately, did not provide increased mobility and enough space for the soldiers and, more importantly, for their equipment (and this was getting bigger and bigger). I think that thanks to the XM800T program, a better (but not perfect) Bradley was created and its turret with a 25mm Bushmaster cannon resembles that of the XM800T in several places.
Ps. Great scratch build. I'm impressed. Good job :)
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi,
That was certainly the XM800's issue was that it could not transport 12 equipped troops as you say, and the good parts went on to be incorporated into the Bradley vehicles.

Trying out the turret onto the hull, looks more like the XM800T now thats for sure, still lots more to do.
Sub.
Attachments
20201218_171305_resized.jpg
20201218_171255_resized.jpg
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Now that’s details !
If my wife was there she would ask “ why??, why put yourself through the hassle, who will see it”
I always answer “ I will” !!
Yep, that is the reason! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

That’s an interesting theory on the cancellation of the project but, at first glance the general hull shape and angles (though not as tight) do show some similarities to the f117 so it’s quite plausible.

Another complex build. How do you have the patients
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi,
Mr Brute, as you say a complex build, i have always had patience.
Added the gunners side extension and additional armour,
Now onto making the elevation and depression mechanism, the twin rotating cylinders don't have a central pivot point, so i will have to get creative.
Regards.
Sub.
Attachments
20201220_144252_resized.jpg
20201220_144252_resized.jpg (90.16 KiB) Viewed 2203 times
20201220_144114_resized.jpg
20201220_144114_resized.jpg (64.63 KiB) Viewed 2203 times
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi.
Worked out the mechanics of the elevation and depression ok.
Few pics of it, central gun level then elevated and depressed,
It was fairly simple once you took accout for the arc of the servo arm which meant that the pivot point increased and decreased during elevation and depression, it also had to pivot around the servo arm shaft to avoid any lock ups.
Works well and is smooth in operation.

The clear cable going into the gun " breach " end is fibre optic cable for the gun flash.
Sub.
Attachments
20201221_175236_resized.jpg
20201221_175221_resized.jpg
20201221_175145_resized.jpg

Return to “Modern Builds”