FIREFLY? WHAT HAVE i GOT HERE?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
john1970
Corporal

Re: FIREFLY? WHAT HAVE i GOT HERE?

Post by john1970 »

dgsselkirk wrote:When you lengthen the lower 20mm and you put the 3 part transmission on the front, and add my upper it sits and measures properly. You just have to trim down the back plate a little to accommodate the extra length. However, keep in mind the kit was designed for the average modeler who didn't want to get into cutting apart an HL lower hull. When you put it straight onto the HL lower you will notice an longer gap between the end of the upper and the back plate. Hope that makes sense... :D

Are you planning an IC so the less than average modeller doesn't have to cut up the lower hull ?
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Exhibitedbrute wrote:
HERMAN BIX wrote:Nah mate, Im way to "decompressed" to care about the Highs/Lows and Big/Small ,fractional degree glacis angles of Shermans to be bothered !!

Will swap for what have you ;) no money changes hands.

Sorry General Alpha, the dream is never happening :lolno:
Send it me I will build the firefly and send it back, I have most of the bits. Painting is up to you though
That’s very nice of you to offer Mr Brute. I feel this will end up at Mr Gunners place as a swap for things he has .
Sorry to all for creating a controversy, as I recall, the General met his end over a similar discussion.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

john1970 wrote:
dgsselkirk wrote:When you lengthen the lower 20mm and you put the 3 part transmission on the front, and add my upper it sits and measures properly. You just have to trim down the back plate a little to accommodate the extra length. However, keep in mind the kit was designed for the average modeler who didn't want to get into cutting apart an HL lower hull. When you put it straight onto the HL lower you will notice an longer gap between the end of the upper and the back plate. Hope that makes sense... :D

Are you planning an IC so the less than average modeller doesn't have to cut up the lower hull ?
No, sorry, not at this time...
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Yes, HB, that's how the late 'General' got his marching orders. :problem:
It still amazes me that Sherman related topics often end of thorny. I don't get it. It's just a model making theme, after all. Personally, I'm no fan of the tank- despite the contribution it made. I'd rather research, and build, a Centurion or Comet (as I'm doing).But that's just my opinion. Chaque a son gout...
HB, here are some pics, purely for comparison purposes. There's a partially complete Firefly based on Dean's amazing work. It's certainly rich in detail and texture :thumbup: Next to it is the HL 105mm
If you wanted a Firefly with passable detail, you'd need a to cut a rectangular hatch in the HL turret, and dremel other bits off....and so forth. The split hatch cupola, is available in metal ( I got one from Forgebear, I think) Fabricating other bits from styrene and Milliput would certainly keep you busy. The battery box would be quite easy to make with styrene amd Meng nuts.... and so on. Of course, you already have the barrel. Sometime in the distant future, I intend to make a IC Firefly using most of Dean's kit, and this donor 105. It won't be a TOTM. But won't remain POTM (Parts of the Month) I'm sure you could do a bonzer job with one, but yes, you could expand Mick's growing emporium. For my part, the only aim to create lively debate. Hope the pics give you some idea of the potential task ahead. They were taken in poor light conditions, so lacking the crispness I like to aim for. :think:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Harry Serpent
Private

Post by Harry Serpent »

It does make a nice kit, when finished (I got some one to stretch the lower hull)

Harry Serpent Profesional Coffin Dodger.

Return to “General Questions”