Heng Long M1A2 Abrams cannon not responding

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
burniefloyd
Recruit

Re: Heng Long M1A2 Adams cannon not responding

Post by burniefloyd »

Jofaur86 wrote:Hello 8)
I see that the cables of the turret come back to a connector where the 8;wire,cord between this connector and the boards is attached the original schématic,but only with the 8 pins ,on airsoft systems,it there is usually a small switch ( in black on the photo ) if there in check that not on OFF ? If existing....By rerearding your post,you indicate that no movement ,no noise,etc ? For shooting be careful with an airsoft the gun has not recoil ???
E5FC0C97-B274-47F3-AD31-271C2CAC4315.jpeg
I do not have that switch.

The first time I thought it fired I was not fully paying attention but I thought the tank recoiled. I could and probably was mistaken. For all attempts except that time and the one I described above not has happened when I press the button combination.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

burniefloyd wrote:my current charger does lipo and li-fe but no Li-on.
Sounds like a similar charger to mine.
The Li-Fe setting isn't the ideal setting for Li-Ion, but I've used it for the Heng Long Li-Ion without any problems.

I think the Li-Fe batteries are only 3.3 volts a cell, and that's why that setting isn't ideal for the Li-Ion batteries.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
burniefloyd
Recruit

Post by burniefloyd »

Jofaur86 wrote:Hello 8)
I see that the cables of the turret come back to a connector where the 8;wire,cord between this connector and the boards is attached the original schématic,but only with the 8 pins ,on airsoft systems,it there is usually a small switch ( in black on the photo ) if there in check that not on OFF ? If existing....By rerearding your post,you indicate that no movement ,no noise,etc ? For shooting be careful with an airsoft the gun has not recoil ???
E5FC0C97-B274-47F3-AD31-271C2CAC4315.jpeg
I do not have that switch.

The first time I thought it fired I was not fully paying attention but I thought the tank recoiled. I could and probably was mistaken. For all attempts except that time and the one I described above not has happened when I press the button combination.

On a separate and unrelated note, Mick, you were absolutely correct! While I was fiddling around with the cannon I decided I wanted to take it for it's maiden voyage. I put it down on the front walk, crossed the 2 foot patch of mulch onto my front lawn and gat it some throttle! after the first 3 feet it took a hard left and made me fight it to go straight. I couldn't turn right to drive back and check the trim, nope not the issue, I knew what had happened at this point but I was hoping that a few dry leaves was the reason this behemoth went wonky. Once I opened her up I saw what Mick warned me about, The left drive gears turned to butter. Flat as can be...

Oh well, now I also need to find steel gears but I am not sure to trust Aliexpress as the reviews are all over the place and the question if they are or aren't steel is up for debate. They also state in the description that the same gearbox will fit all of the Heng Long models. Is this correct?
burniefloyd
Recruit

Post by burniefloyd »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
burniefloyd wrote:my current charger does lipo and li-fe but no Li-on.
Sounds like a similar charger to mine.
The Li-Fe setting isn't the ideal setting for Li-Ion, but I've used it for the Heng Long Li-Ion without any problems.

I think the Li-Fe batteries are only 3.3 volts a cell, and that's why that setting isn't ideal for the Li-Ion batteries.
It would stand to reason then that If I am suffering from a low voltage issue then I wouldn't want to undercharge the battery to 6.6 instead of 7.4?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

burniefloyd wrote:It would stand to reason then that If I am suffering from a low voltage issue then I wouldn't want to undercharge the battery to 6.6 instead of 7.4?
This is true, but at the moment you have an old 7.2 Ni-MH which has possibly died. I have a few that can't take or hold a charge.
When you try to fire the main gun. Does your tank turn off, as in go back to the flashing front lights, which is the tank ready for starting mode?

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
burniefloyd
Recruit

Post by burniefloyd »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
burniefloyd wrote:It would stand to reason then that If I am suffering from a low voltage issue then I wouldn't want to undercharge the battery to 6.6 instead of 7.4?
This is true, but at the moment you have an old 7.2 Ni-MH which has possibly died. I have a few that can't take or hold a charge.
When you try to fire the main gun. Does your tank turn off, as in go back to the flashing front lights, which is the tank ready for starting mode?
Firing the main gun (what I have been calling the machine gun) works normally and I am able to alternate between gun sounds and nothing turns off.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

I meant the big gun, the one that fires the BB pellets.
That's classed as the "main gun."

burniefloyd
Recruit

Post by burniefloyd »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:I meant the big gun, the one that fires the BB pellets.
That's classed as the "main gun."
:{ Oh that main gun... No, the tank does not shut off when I try to fire it. It just sits there running like nothing is happening. The barrel doesn't raise so I know it registers the shoulder button.
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello :D
Personally I would open the turret to dismantle the airsoft system ,and see what happens ,first of all,be careful,on airsoft there is no gun recoil , élévation is done by an engine located behind the airsoft.
This would already make it possible to see if everything is working well, motor blocked,wires cut,etc
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Jofaur86 wrote:Hello :D
Personally I would open the turret to dismantle the airsoft system ,and see what happens ,first of all,be careful,on airsoft there is no gun recoil , élévation is done by an engine located behind the airsoft.
This would already make it possible to see if everything is working well, motor blocked,wires cut,etc
Yes, there could very well be a gun jamb.

The reason I asked about the tank turning off and going back on standby. Usually when there's not enough power in the battery, it causes the tank to switch off when you try to fire the gun, or make the tank do a turn etc. Usually things that require a large current drain.

Return to “General Questions”