Tiger 1 headlights

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Re: Tiger 1 headlights

Post by ronnie42 »

The Tiger 1 is a popular kit as it evolved and even then repaired ones add more variation. Headlights went from 2 on top to 1 drivers side then finally in centre on the wall.
Was the turret made to sit high because the BB gun altered the position of the ring , result was the turret is out true when turning so fouled the tools?
Dropping the turret down onto the hull has to stay as its the correct position.
Perhaps i have been looking too long at BarryC and Imcq11 builds and they don't take anything for granted. I want the models to look just about right and run to scale.
Headlights
Headlights
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I can see why you want the turret clearance to be prototypical but IF it's right then something else is wrong.

Is the barrel height in the turret right? Is the lamp and it's mounting bracket correct in terms of shape and size? Is the turret front to lamp distance correct or is the first section of the barrel the correct length? Is the barrel fully seated on the internal mechanism?

The easiest solution would be to reduce the height of the lamp mounting bracket and/or find a smaller diameter lamp but this may not look right in your eyes.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

Since you decided to lower the turret to the correct height, did you also correct the placement of the turret rotation on the deck?
Also the Lights on the upper hull corners were known to be damaged by the main gun on the real Tiger, let alone from incoming fire. Hence why the changes in locations.
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Done this viewtopic.php?f=118&t=11488 Atak mantlet fixed gun pivot point. Will leave it as it is and just make do with the main gun hitting the headlights.
PA196057.jpg
PA196066.jpg
PA196056.jpg
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I'm guessing, though I've never tried side by side comparison, that the turret aperture on the Tamiya Tiger 1 is- unlike Taigen and Heng Long iterations, in the correct position, Ronnie. :)
Using the Tamiya upper deck might be one option, but that would mean other substantial modifications re: turret ring, motors etc.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

43rd think i have a better option , the Hobby Boss version. Has a few problems , hatches moulded in, mudguards fixed , speaker circle in louvers and a deck latch to move. Plus points nice detail, weld lines are good , only the jack block is moulded in and no fix for the turret , but i might fit a a tamiya loaders hatch as its correct.
weld lines 1
weld lines 1
weld lines 2
weld lines 2
Chop the screw fixing tubes away and this fits
Chop the screw fixing tubes away and this fits
Attachments
problems speaker circle and the central latch wrong
problems speaker circle and the central latch wrong

Return to “General Questions”