Hi

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
mike57
Recruit

Hi

Post by mike57 »

hello people, I'm Mike, 61 years old, living in Lowestoft UK. only just bought my first Tank, a Heng Long T72 purely to make an homage to Sabaton's PRIMO VICTORIA. I'm retired due to disability and don't get out much, except for heavy metal concerts! i seem to have taken on a gargantuan task in swapping the electrics from the stock TK 6.0 to a Taigen TK0711. having no knowledge of electronics isn't helping. But after spending almost £500 so far, it has to be done, somehow :D
Attachments
20201005_143321.jpg
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Hi

Post by Jimster »

Welcome aboard from the USA! I can’t seem to find any info on a Taigen TK0711 but if you’re interested in upgrading your electronics and love music I suggest getting an Elmod board. Then you could add your own sound effects and play music. Imagine Rammstien blasting from your tank as it crawls across the ground.
mike57
Recruit

Post by mike57 »

Jimster wrote:Welcome aboard from the USA! I can’t seem to find any info on a Taigen TK0711 but if you’re interested in upgrading your electronics and love music I suggest getting an Elmod board. Then you could add your own sound effects and play music. Imagine Rammstien blasting from your tank as it crawls across the ground.
thanks, sounds like a plan, once i've figured the current problems out, but I've put a Bluetooth speaker in the tank, so I can play Sabaton!!!
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Do you have any more details for the Taigen electronics? They are usually 2 or V3 which is the latest. I am sure once we have identified exactly what you have to work with, someone on here will be able to point you in the right direction.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
mike57
Recruit

Post by mike57 »

silversurfer1947 wrote:Do you have any more details for the Taigen electronics? They are usually 2 or V3 which is the latest. I am sure once we have identified exactly what you have to work with, someone on here will be able to point you in the right direction.
Hi, I think it's the V3 as it's a recent purchase, I assume it's the latest one, the number is TK0711
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Personally, I wouldn't have bothered with the swap from HL tk 6.0 to the Taigen, for the simple reason that I consider the Heng Long board (especially if it's the later 6.1s variant ) is probably a better one than the Taigen. The Taigen V3 gives you the option of using a hobby grade transmitter, and different Tank sound modules but little else. :problem:
Full sound customisation really requires Elmod or similar.

Our Radio (TX) and sounds boffin, Rad (Rad Schuart) is the person to speak to about this.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
mike57
Recruit

Post by mike57 »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Personally, I wouldn't have bothered with the swap from HL tk 6.0 to the Taigen, for the simple reason that I consider the Heng Long board (especially if it's the later 6.1s variant ) is probably a better one than the Taigen. The Taigen V3 gives you the option of using a hobby grade transmitter, and different Tank sound modules but little else. :problem:

Our Radio (TX) and sounds boffin, Rad (Rad Schuart) is the person to speak to about this.
Thanks for the reply, a week into this and I'm thinking you are right, every connection has to be rewired and smoker changed. But now after spending about £200 I have no idea how to rewire it all. I'd have liked to have had programmable sounds as it was only to make a video. The reason for the swap was the sound went on the HL 6.0 and a 'reputable' supplier recommended the Taigen but didn't let me know all the other stuff I'd need and how difficult it was! But I have no choice now but persevere :problem:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

mike57 wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:Personally, I wouldn't have bothered with the swap from HL tk 6.0 to the Taigen, for the simple reason that I consider the Heng Long board (especially if it's the later 6.1s variant ) is probably a better one than the Taigen. The Taigen V3 gives you the option of using a hobby grade transmitter, and different Tank sound modules but little else. :problem:

Thanks for the reply, a week into this and I'm thinking you are right, every connection has to be rewired and smoker changed. But now after spending about £200 I have no idea how to rewire it all. I'd have liked to have had programmable sounds as it was only to make a video. The reason for the swap was the sound went on the HL 6.0 and a 'reputable' supplier recommended the Taigen but didn't let me know all the other stuff I'd need and how difficult it was! But I have no choice now but persevere :problem:
Up until V5.3 of the Heng Long system, the wiring on Taigen and HL models was largely identical. There may have been minor differences, here and there, in the colour of the wires; but nothing tricky.
Parts were also largely interchangeable until a few years ago. This isn't the case now, though- as you've discovered. :problem: if it's not too late, you can stick with the HL kit, and flog the Taigen stuff off.
Long term, the best option for sounds would be the Elmod, but I think you can also get more intersting sounds on the IBU Ultimate ed.2.
Others swear by the benedini sound module (Better than swearing at the Taigen module :lolno: )-
http://www.benedini.de
You can find all the wiring digrams you need here on RCTW. I assume you already have one for V6.0 (they come with the tank, these days in addition to the manual),
Taigen provide this:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
mike57
Recruit

Post by mike57 »

Thanks, yeah I have that diagram but i still have no idea how to wire it up, as you say, everything is different. the sound has gone on the original TK6.0, and I have no idea if it's the board or receiver at fault. This tank has cost me almost £700 so far and it's useless so throwing more money at it sounds painful. I put another thread up hoping someone would be able to tell me which wire goes where but haven't had any info. It seems I'm the only idiot that has attempted this!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

You do know there is a volume control on the Heng Long transmitter?
You could have a speaker fault.

As for being an idiot, get to the back of the queue.
And stop beating yourself up about it, you had no prior knowledge about these things, and had no idea of what you were getting into.
And unfortunately, you have entered the hobby where straight control board swaps are becoming a thing of the past, and there's less knowledge available about what you require.
As for purchasing other more expensive boards, you would still be back to square one with them, although there is more knowledge about them available.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “Introduce Yourself”