Tiger 1 headlights

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Tiger 1 headlights

Post by ronnie42 »

Are the headlights too tall, was wondering why the barrel hits the headlights as the turret turns. You would think they would clear them when the barrel is horizontal ? The turret is 10 mm above the hull so it should be just over 0.6mm on 1/16 models.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Tiger 1 headlights

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I've never had a clearance issue with mine, Ronnie. After a quick look at My Tamiya and Taigen Tigers, I found that they had a clearance of around 3mm + , with the barrel in horizontal position. :)
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I guess you must be dealing with an early Tiger1 because the later single central lamp is mounted lower. My two early examples clear the barrels no problem. Maybe yours are incorrectly mounted high? Post a photo do we can see the problem.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Here are some pics , its all about how high the turret sits and are the headlights the correct size. It would help if you posted a pic of the gap between the deck and turret :D
The gap between hull and turret
The gap between hull and turret
The tank museum KT gap
The tank museum KT gap
Screen Shot.jpg (120.26 KiB) Viewed 1117 times
The tank museum Tiger 1 gap
The tank museum Tiger 1 gap
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

This is the problem, cant see the German engineers putting headlights on that can be knocked off when the gun is level.
PA186052.jpg
PA186053.jpg
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Hmmmm. Here’s a pic of my old bucket with the gun very slightly depressed and still barely clearing the headlight. The upper hull is Heng Long, the headlights are some aftermarket metal lights and the turret and barrel are Taigen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Jimster i think the problem is the raised circle supporting the turret on the hull , turret should have very little clearance between hull. I removed most of the ring to lower the turret onto the hull after looking at Tiger1 walkarounds. Looking at yours i see i have missed the driver vision holes, another fix to do.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Once you modify one thing it seems to affect another. That crap gets aggravating but the quest for the most realistic model can be intoxicating (maybe that’s just me :{ ). Perhaps you could somehow shorten the mounting brackets for the headlights. Or raise the turret back to it’s factory height. I don’t see many other options. Whichever is most visually appealing to you.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

You won’t have those two vision holes unless you model a very very early Tiger. They were soon welded shut upon or before delivery and then totally eliminated altogether.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Actually it seems that you have early lights on a late Tiger. You probably should relocate your headlight accordingly and problem is solved.

Return to “General Questions”