Sd.Kfz. 251 Ausf. B - work horse of German infantry

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Panzerjaeger66
Corporal

Sd.Kfz. 251 Ausf. B - work horse of German infantry

Post by Panzerjaeger66 »

After the success of the printed model kit of the 6-wheeled Sd.Kfz. 231, another important vehicle of German WW II armor is in development: the half track Sd.Kfz. 251

The design phase is in progress. Here are some pictures of the current status:

Some test printing took place to improve the design.

More details have to be designed (especially the engine hood and at the inside of the hull), before the first prototype will be printed.

Available will it be here soon:

https://www.fertigungswerk16.at/

Keep you updated.

Greets,
Freddy
Last edited by Panzerjaeger66 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ad Lav
Captain

Re: Sd.Kfz. 251 Ausf. B - work horse of German infantry

Post by Ad Lav »

I think the hobby has been crying out for something like this.

Good move.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

A worthy challenge. :D It's good to see something outside of the usual feast for the eyes :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Nice! Asiatam.de still have metal tracks for 251 but the price is very high...
https://www.asiatam.de/Testkategorie/Me ... ---16.html
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Sadly, I've never been able to build any small German WW2 AFV from any maker. When adding all the costs, they always end up as expensive as the biggest and most expensive Tamiya full option main battle tank...
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

I don' t understand why manufacturers never made this model...
Sorry for my spelling mistakes, I try to do better every day...
Panzerjaeger66
Corporal

Post by Panzerjaeger66 »

Thanks guys for your comments! :thumbup:

Because there is very less space inside (if you want to leave the fighting compartment) for electronics and I had to make easy (but workable) bogies because of less space, bigger manufactures like Tamiya won't do this because it's critical.
Asiatam wanted to do it for years but handn't the chance to release it, so it's my turn ;)

Louis, sorry to hear that; yes it's pricy but you shouldn't compare small series manufacturer and their possibilities with Tamiya. Every small series manufacturer have the same problems as you could see, when DKLM/OKMO released the M60 and other special builds. After few kits their sold out....
Xiaoshan_Sailor
Sergeant

Post by Xiaoshan_Sailor »

FredtheFrench wrote:I don' t understand why manufacturers never made this model...
Agreed, never have understood why Trumpeter never followed with one after their M3 halftrack. Am hoping another picks up the baton & develops a 1/16 RTR 251 once their pending FAMO appears in the first half of 2021.

That said, there supposedly a 1/10 251 project underway but who knows when or at what quality level from you-know-who. :/
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

A way to make money is to bet on volume of sales if production costs can be decreased. This vehicle has so many variants and a basic kit would sell like hot cakes if priced in the $300 range, knowing the builder needs to add another $300 In extras. Otherwise, it’s too expensive for me. If affordable, a guy like me would buy and create many variants over some years. It’s the same reason why I have 12 Sherman based vehicles, but i will ever only have one Chieftain.
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Xiaoshan_Sailor wrote:never have understood why Trumpeter never followed with one after their M3 halftrack.
251 is more comlpicated, link track not one piece rubber bands, overlaping wheels, torsion bar suspension etc. And such relaitively small models tends to be not reliable in 1/16 scale. Those plastic scratch build models are great but I would be affraid to ride them anywhere elese than flat concrete.

Return to “Other Builds”