Weld Lines

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
dougan1963
Recruit

Weld Lines

Post by dougan1963 »

How do you guys do your weld lines? Is there a easy way for a novice to do them?
It will be on the Tamiya Tiger 1

Thanks!
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Weld Lines

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

We all have different ways of doing it, personally I tend to use Vallejo putty as it is quite wet as far as filler goes but comes in a tube with a precision nozzle so can in effect be drawn on then when dry I sand and cut marks into it untill I like how it looks. But that works well with the rough weld on Russian tanks, perhaps not so with the precise German weld
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Thats why i build german tanks , i use the 2 foot rule as i bet you can't see most of the german weld lines from 32 feet away in the real world. :haha:
maxmekker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by maxmekker »

phpBB [video]
Drammen Rock City
dougan1963
Recruit

Post by dougan1963 »

Thanks, very informative.
Any idea what the liquid is he paints on?
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

I used Tamiya 2 part epoxy putty. Before applying I scribed out the weld seams on the model. Filled in with the putty and used the back side of a hobby knife and a toothpick to give it the texture. I've seen people use different objects to create the pattern but for me I was happy with just a hobby knife and a toothpick. It takes some time to dry so you have time to work with it to create the look your happy with.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
dougan1963
Recruit

Post by dougan1963 »

LordPanzer wrote:I used Tamiya 2 part epoxy putty. Before applying I scribed out the weld seams on the model. Filled in with the putty and used the back side of a hobby knife and a toothpick to give it the texture. I've seen people use different objects to create the pattern but for me I was happy with just a hobby knife and a toothpick. It takes some time to dry so you have time to work with it to create the look your happy with.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info!
maxmekker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by maxmekker »

dougan1963 wrote:Thanks, very informative.
I just used water to make it stick better

here is another

phpBB [video]
Drammen Rock City
whitewolf
Recruit

Post by whitewolf »

I'm looking to add weld seams to my Tamiya KT. The biggest query I have, is how wide should the seam actually be? I came across some copper wire seams in 1/16 (or so the manufacturer claims) which are 1.25 mm wide, they are are nice, pliable and yo u get 1.5 metres for your money, seems ideal if you'll pardon the pun. I've got to be honest and say I don't think this is wide enough? I had thought about using putty, but German welds are pretty precise, and width is an issue.
paulc
Private

Post by paulc »

dougan1963 wrote:Thanks, very informative.
Probably water as this helps smooth and make it a bit more pliable
Tamiya tanks X2 Shermans, JS2, KV1,KV2, Pershing, x2 Tiger, King tiger, Panther, Jagdpanther, Panzer IV, Jagdpanzer.
Heng long Panzer III
Torro Sturmtiger
Tamiya / Torro Jagdtiger

Return to “Tips and Tricks”