LeMans 2020

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Re: LeMans 2020

Post by FredtheFrench »

Will01Capri wrote:
Ad Lav wrote:Funnily enough I watched Le Mans 66 with Matt Damon and Christian Bale the other night, cracking film, well worth a watch!

I do like the new Astons.

Don’t think an American car has won since the GT40 in the sixties...
You and me both, great film

As for running races without spectators well its really sad. The best races have always been the ones i have been to as you get to sense and feel them for real.
Hope this covid crap hurry's up and buggers off, we all need a sense or normality to return so we can enjoy life luxuries like going out

I am completely agree with you.
Sorry for my spelling mistakes, I try to do better every day...
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Shaun, it wasn't me that mentioned the Aston Martin class wins. I was talking overall wins and all Ford, be they Lolas or American.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Richard Sorry, I really wanted to settle a long mistaken belief that the Ford GT40/MK4 was the first American car to win at Le Man and when I read your piece it twigged a long dormant memory of Briggs Cunningham who in the day this true American Patriot caused some consternation within the conservative circles of European racing by having the audacity to field cars in overall white with a twin dark blue paint stripe down the centre of his cars,
The Lister Jaguars with their yellow nose was bad enough but the Cunningham cars were thought of as a jolly bad show at the time.
Whatever would those old fogies think today :lolno:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Sorry lads - I reeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaally wanted to like Go Like Hell, but it was Hollywood dross. Christian Bale as a hammy pom they tell me sounded nothing like Ken Miles. Should have sounded more like Nigel Mansell apparently. When he went for a job interview with Shelby, there was a buck in the workshop of the Cobra Daytona, which in reality he helped make. The Ferrari factory scene set in about 1965, showed P4 Ferraris which didn't come out until after Miles was dead.

I can forgive all of that. But:

- taking Henry Ford II for a 'hot ride' never happened, and have him squeal blubbering like a baby doesn't seem like someone who served in the Navy in WWII.
- driving along struggling to pass someone, and then magically plucking another gear, look sternly at the other guy and press harder on the accelerator is not how racing works.
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Estnische wrote:Sorry lads - I reeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaally wanted to like Go Like Hell, but it was Hollywood dross. Christian Bale as a hammy pom they tell me sounded nothing like Ken Miles. Should have sounded more like Nigel Mansell apparently. When he went for a job interview with Shelby, there was a buck in the workshop of the Cobra Daytona, which in reality he helped make. The Ferrari factory scene set in about 1965, showed P4 Ferraris which didn't come out until after Miles was dead.

I can forgive all of that. But:

- taking Henry Ford II for a 'hot ride' never happened, and have him squeal blubbering like a baby doesn't seem like someone who served in the Navy in WWII.
- driving along struggling to pass someone, and then magically plucking another gear, look sternly at the other guy and press harder on the accelerator is not how racing works.
You make good points, but unfortunately most racing or car style movies are full of flaws. But we need these hollywood things to make sure they can target the masses to like the film. if it was more real then the films would maybe become more boring for the masses and worse still never be made. We just have to live with it

The new Top Gun to be released is full of 'not real' 'that would never happen', but it does make for good viewing.

I remember speaking to some old Le Mans racers when i was like 11 or 12 at a Jaguar day with my father. They used to regard the Mulsanne straight as there rest nap as it was more like plant your right foot and relax ready for the next corners and helped them tackle the long endurance runs that was asked of them.
The Cobra Daytona is my favourite US car of all time. If i had spare time and some cash i would love to build a Factory Five Daytona and make it look as original and classic as possible. Its a sexy car and a monster at the same time
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

But l thought that's how cars suddenly accelerated, by changing gear. In Bullit, the Mustang had no less than 24 forward gears. Ask any Hollywood American!!

I thought the discussion above was focusing on the last US car winning LeMans, not the first. The mk4 was never referred to as a GT40, just a MK4. The most successful 'GT40' was of course the John Wyer entered Gulf Mirage. There, just wanting to add confusion ;)

Wonder bwhat the new Hyper cars will look like. Will they look different from each other? It would be nice if cars looked more individual again but optimisation of design within the regulations will probably mean that the liveries will be the only way you can tell them apart. At least the GT classes retain their differences.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

For new hypercars, it will stay a dream, but the Aston Martin Vulcan would have been fantastic... :clap: :clap: :clap:

I hope a lot of car manufacturers will come back with the new regulations, like the end of nineties... :thumbup:
Sorry for my spelling mistakes, I try to do better every day...
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

My other hobby is RC Rock Crawlers. One of the guys that I go out with every weekend is a senior tech at an Aston Martin dealership. The tales he tells me about how much money their customers spend...they don't even look at a car, just buy it on a whim over the phone, some rare versions aren't far off £1m??
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

FredtheFrench wrote: I hope a lot of car manufacturers will come back with the new regulations, like the end of nineties... :thumbup:
We can only hope. Of course, we can thank Bernie Ecclestone for killing the goose that laid the golden egg. Group C was awesome, but too much of a threat to F1 in those days.

Return to “Off topic”