LeMans 2020

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
Zapper
Private

Re: LeMans 2020

Post by Zapper »

I'm a big fan of sportscar racing and Le Mans, I have a big softspot for the Group C era and have 30 odd slot cars of them even though I don't have a track. This year's Le Mans is a little stunted though as we are in transition from LMP1 to Hypercar formats and that Toyota are the only top tier factory effort. Still LMP2 and GT are still very strong and competitive.

Corvette are not present this year due to Corona Virus restrictions (quarantine etc) as they are focusing on the IMSA championship. Ford are the only American manufacturer to win outright, but Corvette, Dodge and Ford have had class wins since the GT40s.
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

What an idiot. You re right, I forgot Ford and Dodge, winners in gt class.

Viper with team Oreca........ :thumbup:
Sorry for my spelling mistakes, I try to do better every day...
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Zapper wrote:I'm a big fan of sportscar racing and Le Mans, I have a big softspot for the Group C era and have 30 odd slot cars of them even though I don't have a track.
Same here, love the old Group C cars, and I've quite a few slot cars of them myself :thumbup:
As I have CAN-AM, after seeing them at Silverstone back in the very early 1970 's.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I always wanted to see the Porsche 917 racing but service commitments prevented me from attending Le Mans. :thumbdown:
I finally got an invitation along with a friend to watch the last race of the Porsche 917 Long Tail from the pits at the Nurburgring, :thumbup:
What a weekend :crazy:
The village was a total lunatic asylum :clap:
A memory that will live with me forever was sitting in a Ferrari Dino on the parade lap.
A lot of 12 year old Scotch was enjoyed with many very good friends at the end of the race :thumbup: ,
We did not win but it really did not matter. :haha:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Zapper
Private

Post by Zapper »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
Zapper wrote:I'm a big fan of sportscar racing and Le Mans, I have a big softspot for the Group C era and have 30 odd slot cars of them even though I don't have a track.
Same here, love the old Group C cars, and I've quite a few slot cars of them myself :thumbup:
As I have CAN-AM, after seeing them at Silverstone back in the very early 1970 's.
An old pic but you get the idea:

ImageJags Jags Jags by Big Zapper, on Flickr

There's also quite a few Group C cars on my photostream too if you are interested.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Thank you Mr Zapper, I'll have a look :thumbup:

Dare I say I'm not a huge Jaguar fan, but I do have the Silk Cut and Castrol ones :D

Oops, and an original D Type.

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

Nice collection. :thumbup:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

FredtheFrench wrote:Nice collection. :thumbup:
Fred, this may please you. One of my favourite slot cars is a Venturi 400 LM :thumbup:

And back on the off topic topic. . . .
Every year I've remembered about the LeMans, I haven't been able to go because of work or other commitments, but this year. . . . :(

FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

In Nineties, Venturi was named the French Ferrari...

Beautiful car.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

FredtheFrench wrote:24 hours of Le Mans is my other passion.
Me too. I have a Le Mans slot car collection - most of the winning cars from 1949 to 1999, plus some scenery.

Last year when we travelled to Paris, I made my wife and daughter make a day trip to the town so I could visit the 24 Hours museum. The taxi driver did not speak English, but I had practiced asking to be taken there in my extremely limited French!

Return to “Off topic”