A39 Tortoise

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
tomhugill
Captain

A39 Tortoise

Post by tomhugill »

Hey folks,

This build has been floating about for a very long time, Iain started it many years back.

Its been languishing in my garage for a couple of years before I managed to persuade Woz to take her away and create some printed pieces for her.

I now have some excellent detail pieces. Next stage is getting her sorted mechanically, at the moment its running plastic kt tracks, sprockets and idlers and uses doubled up hl sherman bogies.

I'm hoping to use a pdsgb but I'm not 100% that carson does long enough shafts and with covid new custom ones aren't avalible, so may need to put in some long shaft taigen v2s in in the short term. Ive got a henntec adjuster, metal tracks and sprockets ready as well.

Hull reinforcement will be needed, thinking of using angle alloy for the hull side with some cross braces, this worked well on the panzer iv hull, will just need to be scaled up.

Will be running a clark tk60 or 80 with a nie big speaker. Thats pretty much where she's upto, looking forward to making some progress. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: A39 Tortoise

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:D :thumbup: We've not seen this brute for quite a while, Tom. I may have asked this before, but is that real rust on those bolt heads in the glacis plate?... and is that green stuff actual organic mould courtesy of the exile in outhouse, or the beginnings of green camo? :D In any event, I'm looking forward to the signature Hugill transformation :thumbup: :)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

43rdRecceReg wrote::D Image We've not seen this brute for quite a while, Tom. I may have asked this before, but is that real rust on those bolt heads in the glacis plate?... and is that green stuff actual organic mould courtesy of the exile in outhouse, or the beginnings of green camo? :D In any event, I'm looking forward to the signature Hugill transformation Image :)
Yes genuine rust, the greenstuff however is proper putty!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Shootermcgraw
Private

Post by Shootermcgraw »

43rdRecceReg wrote::D Image We've not seen this brute for quite a while, Tom. I may have asked this before, but is that real rust on those bolt heads in the glacis plate?... and is that green stuff actual organic mould courtesy of the exile in outhouse, or the beginnings of green camo? :D In any event, I'm looking forward to the signature Hugill transformation Image :)

Sent from my ONA19TB003 using Tapatalk

You can call me Will:
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

Are you sure the green stuff is not a Chia-Pet? :)

Looking forwards to seeing this completed... (Will Barry's M1 Tusk be complete by then?)
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Jarlath wrote:Are you sure the green stuff is not a Chia-Pet? :)

Looking forwards to seeing this completed... (Will Barry's M1 Tusk be complete by then?)

Chia pet :haha: It'll be sanded back before I prime it. Hmmm Barry's work rates very high, but he does do a lot more work!!!
mcevoyi
2nd Lieutenant

Post by mcevoyi »

Hi all
Its been a while since I see the tortoise
And a long time since I bashed any plastic
But here is my original build thread

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11111&hilit=Tortoise
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Saw this beast in the flesh at the Tank Museum and thought it would make a good subject, but what a beast! 8O

Looking good Tom. :thumbup: :clap:

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

mcevoyi wrote:Hi all
Its been a while since I see the tortoise
And a long time since I bashed any plastic
But here is my original build thread

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11111&hilit=Tortoise
Quality craftsmanship Iain.

Good to see you still around.
mcevoyi
2nd Lieutenant

Post by mcevoyi »

Still out here Adam.

Been super busy with a house and county move. Slowly getting things straight and looking to start building again ..

Return to “Other Builds”